Profitable Elves?

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
outcast
Apprentice

Post by outcast »

fine, you win.

But only with the indian and timmy. I will be dead (again) before I consider the others as lego

Back on topic now please
For Empire is no more, and now the Lion & Wolf shall cease.
LegoLord.
Word Miser

Re: Profitable Elves?

Post by LegoLord. »

Orcs technically are Elves gone bad in LotR. ;-)

Personally, I think the crown line is good as is. I'll echo the others and say that when sales on the Crown line go down, Lego might bring the forestmen/elves back.

The Knights Kingdom line is a good example of this, is was real popular there for awhile, but then it died and the Crown took over.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/31132205@N07/]Flickr[/url]
[url=http://mocpages.com/home.php/8791]MOCpages[/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... bertMurphy]BrickShelf[/url]
Respect the Crown
Blue Moon Knight
Archer

Post by Blue Moon Knight »

Wow, lot of debate here. I don't think elves are girly. That notion most likely comes from the toy/cookie making elves. The first dwarves I ever saw were from Snow White. (Blinky, Sneezy, Wheezy, Lefty etc.) Yet I never thought they were girly.

As for the problem of making them distinguishable from humans, make headgear with elf ears. We could get a couple helmets, along with a female hairpiece, and a male hairpiece. This would cover soldiers and civilians.

At the people who are saying " Oh em gee, it's just a pikture! It doesn't mean Lego elves! *foam at mouth*"

This is human nature. We see something that is exciting, a brief sighting of a possible future event or product, and we'll gossip, and argue, and debate about it until we're blue in the face. And I for one, enjoy it. :wink:
To those who are about to Lego: toss me a few bricks.
Blaze Ryder
Peasant

Post by Blaze Ryder »

TLC really doesn't have to do much to make Elves in my opinion. When I need an Elf for any reason, I just use one of the peach-heads (which I hate in all other circumstances). This would make Evels extremely easy to make, since the peachies are already out there in both male/female form. All TLC would have to do is make make the torsos, heck they can even use forestmen ones, and design banners, weapons and sets, which shouldn'y be too hard to get some ideas going. I personally would like to see some Elf/Treehouse-oriented sets. Just my two cents.

Have a good one,

Blaze Ryder
thedevil44
Serf

Post by thedevil44 »

I decided to finally give my two cents because I read this thread all the time, but have never responded. I have liked Elves since I was a child and have always made my own. Much like Blaze Ryder I have also used fleshies to represent elves in recent years. Unlike most AFOL's I don't really mind fleshies so much, especially since they have so many nice faces :D . Despite this I am still a little bit of a purist and would not like fleshie characters in anything but licensed themes. I feel this would just be a slippery slope and I have always loved my yellow friends. That said I would really like elves as a part of the current castle theme. I still remember when I first saw the image in the Lego magazine and I was so excited. I hoped they would come by the end of 08, and now i hope they come by the end of 09. If they don't arrive by then I will keep my fingers crossed for 2010. If not by then I'll keep hoping for the next 20 years. All I can really say is, Elves? Yes please.
deathdog1
Apprentice

Post by deathdog1 »

Steve Witt, in his opening remarks at Brickworld, made it seem pretty clear that elves are not coming. At all. I was at the back of the room, but he seemed definite about that.
"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!" http://glomshire.thecomicseries.com/comics/
Blue Moon Knight
Archer

Post by Blue Moon Knight »

deathdog1 wrote:Steve Witt, in his opening remarks at Brickworld, made it seem pretty clear that elves are not coming. At all. I was at the back of the room, but he seemed definite about that.
Awww man... Oh well, time to get an exacto knife and start customizing.
To those who are about to Lego: toss me a few bricks.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Deathdog,

I was told the context was for 2009 not at all but eh... I was not there.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Heir of Black Falcon wrote:Deathdog,

I was told the context was for 2009 not at all but eh... I was not there.

Heir

Over at Eurobricks several members who attended Brickworld were told that there were no plans for Elves period. Given that it is already 2009, I very much doubt that such an anouncement would be just for 2009. Perhaps there are some members here who can confirm/deny the validity of the statement.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

B&W,

I agree. We need someone who was there and actually heard it as well... Several people who were there and ‘heard it’, when asked what was exactly was said were less sure and did not have any specifics or details that it meant forever over this year or whatnot. I am just going by those who feel confident they got the whole story or second hand. I am still waiting for a first person account that he said ‘never ever’ from those that keep saying that....

I do not see how 2009 being nearly over limits a future release for elves.... we had several surprises no one saw coming a year previous.

Heir
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Steve Witt did say that LEGO never planned on releasing elves and the map image was creative license taken by a graphic designer. I would like to point out that LEGO can make whatever products they would like in the future. However, the very fact that Steve denied elves instead of saying "I can not talk about potential future products" is not a good sign for those who want elves. Either way this thread is quickly reaching beating a skeleton horse status.

Ben
Brickworld 2009
Pirates Coordinator
Presenter
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Thanks Ben. Works for me. As the saying goes the devil is in the details.

Heir
AhabDarab
Villein

Post by AhabDarab »

Hello all. Not only was I there, I was the person who asked the question. After the Q & A was over, I spoke with him further at the back of the room. I explained the situation here and on Eurobricks. He said essentially " No elves, and there were never going to be any elves. The picture on the castle map was only artistic license taken with some empty space in the illustration." He also said he was glad to allow me to quote him on this or anything else he said. He seemed very direct, no funny business. He was very nice though.

Let me end by saying that due to a strange twist of fate, I won a package of custom elves in the BrickWorld final raffle. :twitch: Very strange.

Ahab out.......................
"We Set the Standards"
puddleglum
Artisan

Post by puddleglum »

AhabDarab wrote:Let me end by saying that due to a strange twist of fate, I won a package of custom elves in the BrickWorld final raffle. :twitch: Very strange.
Go figure! :lol:
"Nothing wrong with me. Not a frog. Nothing frog with me. I'm a respectabiggle . . . Reshpeckobiggle."

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew_raehl/]flickr[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Ahab,

The horse mouth eh... What he seems to be saying is not ‘never ever’, but that they are not planned currently in the works which is a whole different situation. Sad nonetheless, as the fantasy line may get a bit dry with the same 4 factions in 2-3 more years.

Lucky you having won the custom elves though.

And thanks for the info!

Heir