Bows part 2

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.

what is your favorite bow

British longbow
77%
recurve
8%
Japanese longbow
12%
crossbow
4%

Total votes: 26

LONGBOW
Peasant

Post by LONGBOW »

isn't anyone going to comment on the BLOODY post!?
ham jam spamalot
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

LONGBOW wrote:isn't anyone going to comment on the BLOODY post!?
Which bloody post. If it was your earlier one, it was off-topic and any response to it would have been off topic. Aside from having me berate you about attitude and tone, you probably won't get much in the way of responses to your "bloody" post. Keep it polite and on-topic and people will talk to you. :)

Back on topic,

I have fired replicas of crossbows and longbows; I have always preferred the nice long arch you create when firing off an arrow from a longbow. Perhaps not as deadly in close quarters as the crossbow, the longbow is probably the most elegant.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
LONGBOW
Peasant

Post by LONGBOW »

sorry for that post
ham jam spamalot
Manwe_Valar_of_air
Serf

Post by Manwe_Valar_of_air »

I'm with The Josh, I think the British longbow would be the best for lego sets, because of the simple design and most of the sets are like British castles.
I'm Manwe mightiest of the Valar and lord of the Undying lands.
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

I agree. Although, a Mongolian saddle bow would be cool. :D
Check out my LEGO Movies at http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=88753 !
LONGBOW
Peasant

Post by LONGBOW »

the Ainunorian longbow can be made to have faster arrowflight but, the arrow created a temporal vortex that sucked me into this universe where I took over the earth and established the united federation of planets
(not really)
ham jam spamalot
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Daimyo wrote:
JPinoy wrote:I remember reading something about Chinese Mounted Crossbowmen.
I'm sure about every medieval culture had at least some aspect of a mounted archer... however, others perfected it sooner than others. As you know, the English aren't renowned for their spectacular horse archers, that belongs to nomadic peoples who perfected the art of both archery and horsemanship. The Teutons aren't famous for their excellent crossbowmen; That honor belongs to the Genovese. I believe that archery, nay, all tactics, differ depending on lifestyle or environment.
No this was during the Tang Dynasty IIRC, back during the later Roman period. They're empire stretched to near the Caspian Sea and supposedly had a skirmish with some expeditionary Roman Legionaires with their Mounted Crossbowmen.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]