Name that Knight

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Name that Knight

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Look down at the bottom of this message at the sig-file and you'll see two knights toasting each other. While my Avatar pic changes with my mood, these two guys are my real mascots. Their dialogue constantly changes, but they themselves don't (at least so far - getting the curve of the door in the background to match the curve of their helmets, and placing the cups against the dark background were all intentional, but I may choose to rebuild and recompose the shot some day with greater depth of field and contrast of the one figure's armor to the background).

Anyway, I kinda feel the need for a new name for the guy on the left. Originally, for all of a week or two, he was Eric the Red, but that sounded too Viking for a guy in full plate. So, his name metamorphed into Henry the Red - which fans of Army of Darkness might remember. Which was fine until more and more "Henry" the traveling minifig seems entrenched as the minifig mascot of Classic-Castle. Henry the Red and Henry of the Suitcases aren't the same, and so as to avoid a crisis of identity, it's time for a new name for my guy.

So, if you have any suggestions, fire away. I suppose I should offer a prize - custom shield design? I don't guarentee that I'll actually use any suggestion, but I will do a shield design for the one I like the best.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Harold the Red, you get to keep the Red as part of the name and Harold sounds suitably medieval. No historical figures were named Harold the Red, the origin is old english and it means army-power? At least in the baby book my wife bought. Sounds like a good name to me.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

wlister wrote:Harold the Red, you get to keep the Red as part of the name and Harold sounds suitably medieval. No historical figures were named Harold the Red, the origin is old english and it means army-power? At least in the baby book my wife bought. Sounds like a good name to me.

Will
We have an entry, which means the prize WILL be awarded (oh hey, pun not intended) to someone. I always liked Harald (Harald Hardrada) better, but that goes back to the "too viking" comment.

Dang, this sparked me to come up with two variations, but I won't mention them so as to leave the field clear...

Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

I think I might be tempted to call him 'Beric the Briton'. The name sounds castle like to me,but only works of course if he is a Briton :D

Dave
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Duke_Dave wrote:I think I might be tempted to call him 'Beric the Briton'. The name sounds castle like to me,but only works of course if he is a Briton :D

Dave
Ethnically, I'm german (teutonic, two-tonic :D ) and irish, with a dash of dutch and norse. But there's utterly no reason why the fig can't be an alliterative Albionian (not that I think the term for someone from Albion is an Albionian).

Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

well if if you want gerrman names i'm afraid i cant help you much...its out of my experience.

Dave
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

"Raul the Red"
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Well, you don't want a Viking name, so that scratches any Norse-type names, and reason you don't want a Viking name is because this is a knight, not a Dark Ages berserker, so that scratches Old English.

We need either something Norman (aka French) or German. Something tha continues to convey this ruddy character (and no, we can't use Henri).

Edward (as in I,II,II, and the Black Prince)?
(No, not Henry IV,V,VI)
Richard (as in I Lionhearted, II, III)?
(NO! WE CAN'T USE HENRY!!)
Louis? (as in a great many numbers)
Charles? (also a great many numbers)
NOT HENRY!!!!
Fredrick............

I like Fredrick. As in Fredrick Barbarossa, Fredrick II, Fredrick IV (fought with Pope Gregory, formerly the monk Hildebrand) In fact, I like it so much, I won't suggest any more names that might be running through my head. AND THAT INCLUDES HENRY!!!

With or without the Barbarossa.

(Please note, I am not even attempted to outshow TTK in medieval expertise: names and geneaolgies are about my limit.)
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

name him steve.

i dunno.. he just sorta looks like a steve.

steve the knight.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Duke_Dave wrote:well if if you want gerrman names i'm afraid i cant help you much...its out of my experience.

Dave
Anything - no restrictions. Doesn't have to be any particular culture.

TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Barbapple wrote:"Raul the Red"
Raoul the Rude. Hmmmmmm.... :D

I'd probably give high marks to Rafael over Raoul but that has been poisoned by Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Formendacil wrote:Well, you don't want a Viking name, so that scratches any Norse-type names, and reason you don't want a Viking name is because this is a knight, not a Dark Ages berserker, so that scratches Old English.
Well, feel free to suggest anything - I mean, if it was a female character it would be Erika Bloodaxe and I'd be done with it, full plate or no. I'm actually partial to names like Leofwine and Tostig. Half the idea is just to stir up the pot on names and see what others come up with, so I suppose I shouldn't have really indicated any kind of leanings. Leofwine the Lush? :D

We need either something Norman (aka French) or German. Something tha continues to convey this ruddy character (and no, we can't use Henri).

Edward (as in I,II,II, and the Black Prince)?
(No, not Henry IV,V,VI)
Richard (as in I Lionhearted, II, III)?
(NO! WE CAN'T USE HENRY!!)
Louis? (as in a great many numbers)
Charles? (also a great many numbers)
NOT HENRY!!!!
Fredrick............

I like Fredrick. As in Fredrick Barbarossa, Fredrick II, Fredrick IV (fought with Pope Gregory, formerly the monk Hildebrand) In fact, I like it so much, I won't suggest any more names that might be running through my head. AND THAT INCLUDES HENRY!!!

With or without the Barbarossa.

(Please note, I am not even attempted to outshow TTK in medieval expertise: names and geneaolgies are about my limit.)
You are so nice to allow me to be the one to point out that barbarossa means "red beard" and thus is a pretty good name even without the Frederick (Frederick Barbarossa indeed, did have a red beard, as did I).

Or maybe just Fred the Red? :wink:

TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

LEGOFREAK wrote:name him steve.

i dunno.. he just sorta looks like a steve.

steve the knight.
Well, my dad was Stephen and had a red beard...and now that I think about it, his middle name was Henry. But I was looking for something a little less prosaic.

Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Well....

If you LIKE Anglo-Saxon names, by all means do NOT allow me to stop you from using one!

But the majority of my Old English knowledge, derived as it is from Tolkien, is probably not worth going on, although L[']e[/']od (I hope that's spelled right, see LR, Appendix 1B), Eorl the Young's father, sticks out in my head, sounds like your preferred name of Leofwine (shortened), and wouldn't be recognisable to the run of the mill Movie-only-whos-those-strange-elf-dudes? fans.

Folcwine, Frealaf (with accents), Aldor, Brego, Eofor (Eofur?), Scatha (the Worm), Galmod (with accents), Erkenbrand.

I like Erkenbrand. He seems like a Henry the Red type.

But, as you can see, these are all Tolkien-borrowed names.

Beyond them, I know: Hengrist and Horsa, and various Saxon kings: Aethelred (Ethelred), Alfred, Edward, the ubiquitously Tolkien: Elwin and Edwin.

What the heck, stick with Barbarossa (yes, I knew it was 'the red': why do you like I liked it?)

Or ask someone else (which you did.)
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

William the Red!

Thanks to Will for the idea!

--Caleb
Philosophies of my life:

"A PC turned off is better than a PC turned on"

"It's not about who wins...it's about who gets to gloat after they win."