Castle at BrickFair 2009 -- Planning Thread

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
JCool
Apprentice

Castle at BrickFair 2009 -- Planning Thread

Post by JCool »

Getting that "itch" to BUILD? Did you miss other Lego events this year, or, have you gone to those and still just can't get enough? Then come to BrickFair! Show off your recent creations and mingle with other brick-loving fans.

Hi everyone, I'm Joe Evangelista and I am the Castle / Pirates / Western / Misc. Ancient Stuff Theme Coordinator for this year. I am very excited about this year's event and I hope that others are too -- there's a lot being offered this year and there have already been a lot of great MOCs confirmed to be in attendance (as well as their builders!).

Castle / Pirates / etc. will all be in the Main Ballroom this year instead of the Pavilion wing off to the side. That brings us back into the main space but also presents some challenges in terms of table setup and community layouts as we are primarily along the left wall. I would like to have a big rolling community layout – CCC walls, buildings, farms, landscapes, etc. And a couple of armies to battle throughout the lands! Is anyone else interested in this as well?

There will also be some special prizes this year in addition to the ones that BrickFair will be giving out. One of those will be a random drawing for all Castle / Pirate MOC participants -- you don’t have to bring something huge in order to win a prize! (Got a cool castle vignette? We’ll find a way to work it into the display!) I have a few ideas of my own (best use of a specified part, funniest scene, best use of motion, etc.) for the other prizes just amongst our Castle / Pirate group, but I want to open this up to the entire community: What do you want to see as build challenges / contests / events at this year’s convention?

Please use this thread for all thoughts / suggestions / ideas / critiques from last year / etc. as we get ready and plan for Castle (and Pirates and Western and all others semi-ancient things) at BrickFair this year!

BrickFair is being held at the Sheraton in Tysons Corner, VA from August 21st - 23rd. Check out http://www.BrickFair.com for more details and to register. Remember to also register your MOCs in advance and make note of any special requirements for table-space that you might need.
-Joe "Cool"
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Re: Castle at BrickFair 2009 -- Planning Thread

Post by Sir Dillon »

Hello Joe, thanks for organizing this.

I don't really have anything to add, but don't want this thread to go completely unnoticed. One big layout sounds very neat, but will be difficult to pull off. I plan on bringing a tower with a similar base as this, that could probably fit on top of a body of water or something, and could possibly contribute a farm or wall segment or two.
JCool
Apprentice

Post by JCool »

Sir Dillon - Definitely bring what you have. I am thinking that given the lack of replies that a large community layout will likely not be happening, but I have some generic landscaping pieces that will be available for people to put figs / small creations / tudor buildings on.

For those that have signed up for BrickFair already, please make sure to register your MOCs once you know what you will be bringing... it helps to get things planned right and make sure that there is sufficient table space available.

I look forward to seeing everyone there and meeting you in person.
-Joe "Cool"
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

I have several CCC walls that I can bring. I have straights, corners and gates. Are there any certain types of walls you need? (For instance, do you have enough corners, but need more straights?) I can also bring the Viking buildings that I had at Brickworld.

David
♪ "Whether I'm the last one alive, or ascend before my time
Better I'm the last one alive, than a soul denied" ♫ —Demon Hunter
JCool
Apprentice

Post by JCool »

I had hoped to have some sort of community display area, but given the layout and what displays are already coming I don't think that we're going to have room to do a CCC wall / interior section as has been done in some previous years. This is not a bad thing though, there's some really cool stuff coming! As a result, I don't think we're going to need the wall sections, though if you wanted to bring them as an example to help inspire / instruct other builders on how to do them that could work too.

I think at this point the castle area will be more of an individual thing. There are a number of large layouts that are coming, but do not let that stop anyone from bringing the creations that you want to bring. There is still space available and even if there isn't I'll try to figure something out to get your creations into the space that we've got.

BrickFair is just over 2 weeks away! 8)
-Joe "Cool"
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

This isn't much related to my previous post, but it does have to do with Brickfair. (Mods, feel free to move/split this reply if it's better suited somewhere else.)

I'm coming to Brickfair, and I would like to split hotel costs with someone by sharing a room. I'm super easy to get along with, and as my Brickworld roommates can attest, I'm even happy sleeping on a spot on the floor. :lol:
I will be arriving Thursday and leaving Monday morning (so 4 nights total). If any Brickfair attendees would like to share a room, please PM me or email me at

crazylegoman
@
verizon
net

Thanks!
David
♪ "Whether I'm the last one alive, or ascend before my time
Better I'm the last one alive, than a soul denied" ♫ —Demon Hunter
jovian
Peasant

Post by jovian »

I'm bringing a 1x3 baseplate(ish) diorama of my army of darkness marching to war. If anyone wants to set up a battle, I'd be down for that (or it will work as a stand alone module). I might have some smaller stuff to add in as details as well.

Steve

P.S.-I'm glad to hear castle will be in the main room this year! :D
"This ground is not the rock I.....thought it to be"
--"flood"--

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jovian_dreams/]Flickr[/url] [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Darktide]Brickshelf[/url]