43%
The Troll King
33%

Total votes: 49

Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Re: The Five Kings

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Yeah in the old days of Castle, Lego seemed to use fairly open or vague but at least decent names, Black Falcon, Black Monarch etc. I actually think they should avoid naming them with proper names as the owner should be able to name them as they will. I really do not mind them making such general names though, especially titles, as Good King, but Giant Troll is just silly.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
DO+1
emoticon patrol

Post by DO+1 »

The Good King is the best that we have had in a while;Gold Sword,cool Euro armor, and now, a cool new body and printing on the legs!
I love Yellow Castle and all it's yellowiness!
I am Daniel,maker of Castle Dioramas but no availible cameraand that sucks Megabloks

You need Lego,life is not complete without it[ no exceptions]
gormadoc1
Artisan

Post by gormadoc1 »

[quote="DO+1"]The Good King is the best that we have had in a while;Gold Sword,cool Euro armor, and now, a cool new body and printing on the legs![/quote]

You pretty much just summed up the good king :lol:
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Back in the day, my first LEGO monarch had no name. I got him from the Knight's Tournament 6083 set along with his red-haired queen. Names are to be asked for, not given. Any mage will tell you that you should not give your name away so freely. :P
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
ragnarok
Bailiff

Post by ragnarok »

I casted my vote for the so called "Good King" since this minifig comes with some very nice parts and the colour scheme is well chosen. I don't think that the same old crown just painted in brown fits for a troll king. May be TLC should have come with another solution to distinct troll royalty (or more probably chieftain).

If there was a possibility to chose the king of the Lion Knights I would have voted for it for sure. It has a very sentimental value for me. Furthermore it introduced the crown piece and came with a formidable cape (apart from the chariot set). I also switched the blue legs of this minifig with white or red - still think it's better that way.
gormadoc1
Artisan

Post by gormadoc1 »

Thats what I liked about the 90's sets they had great capes.
gormadoc1
Artisan

Post by gormadoc1 »

Well the poll has ended and from the results we can certainly see that the good King was voted the best and it looks like he's here to stay. It's been an intresting poll with everyone's diffrent opinions but its nice to hear what people think about the king and what appeals to them. I've only kept this short but thankyou for your contribution to The Five Kings poll. :)

gormadoc1
Barbrickian
Freeman

Post by Barbrickian »

I don't quite understand why there's quite so much love around here for the crownies, the "good king", and all the other current castle line. I guess I just like the old '80s and early '90s stuff best and probably always will.
gormadoc1
Artisan

Post by gormadoc1 »

I absoulutley agree with you, I alays liked king richard for the royal kings but the crownies are just the main feature at this time of the castle line, but I liked sets from the 80's and 90's too, It was always the golden age of castle in my eyes. If TLG incorporated another human faction as well as keeping the fantasy side then it would make castle more popular and create a more medieval clash against the fantasy side but the line may change again in a couple of years. :)
Jojo
Master

Re: The Four Kings

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Aliencat wrote:Also, somewhat unrelated, but as far as I know the Royal Knight's King is nameless, does anyone know if he was ever "officially" given a name by Lego? When I was a kid (I was 11 in 1995, when he came out), I always just called him Richard the Lionhearted, because he was the first real Lego king and had a lion crest.
In the German catalogue set 6008 is called "König Richard".
(And 6090 is called "Burg Königstolz", which would be "King's Pride Castle". And I like its British name: "Saxondale Castle". Tops them all.)

As for "trolls" and "giant trolls": Lego probably didn't know how to call the orcish boys properly without infringing copyrights. Naturally the so called "giant trolls" are trolls and the "regular" trolls are orcs. That's how every reasonable man would call them, but the term orc might be under copyright. Or they simply did not want to make this strong connection to the Lord of the Rings.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Barbrickian
Freeman

Re: The Four Kings

Post by Barbrickian »

Jojo wrote:Hello!
Aliencat wrote:Also, somewhat unrelated, but as far as I know the Royal Knight's King is nameless, does anyone know if he was ever "officially" given a name by Lego? When I was a kid (I was 11 in 1995, when he came out), I always just called him Richard the Lionhearted, because he was the first real Lego king and had a lion crest.
In the German catalogue set 6008 is called "König Richard".
(And 6090 is called "Burg Königstolz", which would be "King's Pride Castle". And I like its British name: "Saxondale Castle". Tops them all.)

As for "trolls" and "giant trolls": Lego probably didn't know how to call the orcish boys properly without infringing copyrights. Naturally the so called "giant trolls" are trolls and the "regular" trolls are orcs. That's how every reasonable man would call them, but the term orc might be under copyright. Or they simply did not want to make this strong connection to the Lord of the Rings.

Bye
Jojo
It doesn't appear that the word orc is copywritten: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orc
gormadoc1
Artisan

Post by gormadoc1 »

Perhaps like Jojo said they just want to give it its own independence so that people dont asociate it with something like Lord of the Rings yet Orc's would be a better name than Troll's but I'd keep Troll for the big Trolls. :)
Barbrickian
Freeman

Post by Barbrickian »

Goblins would've been a better choice than trolls without associating too much with LOTR.
gormadoc1
Artisan

Post by gormadoc1 »

Good point, but to be honest as long as it makes sense then TLG probably wont change the name.