32x32 Challenge: The Occupied Ruin

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Tycho McKorley
Artisan

32x32 Challenge: The Occupied Ruin

Post by Tycho McKorley »

When I read the Ye Olde Republic's outline of the 32x32 building challenge, I became very excited. I've wanted to build something in the Dark Forest/Forestmen theme for some time and I thought the challenge would give me just the avenue to do it.

I recognize that my creation is not, strictly speaking, a full castle. However, I believe it meets the spirit of the challenge because it's supposed to be a ruin deep in the woods that the men of the forest have reoccupied.

Here are the pictures (note that the pictures are links):

I tried to make the edges of the cave "rough" to demonstrate that it's a cutaway from the mountain.

Here is a link to the Entire Gallery.

For those of you who would prefer Flikr, here's a link.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Tycho123]My Brickshelf Folder[/url]
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Re: 32x32 Challenge: The Occupied Ruin

Post by Quickblade22 »

I think it's a great build. Yea, it's not really a castle, but the spirit of the challenge was to get people to build something creative within the restriction size. I really like the way it turned out. My nitpicks are, where's the entrance to the inside or top? The guys wearing armor certainly didn't climb up the walls :tasty: . I really like the mix of relaxing and stragitical urgency that seem to be going on within this MOC. I can see myself wanting to build something similar. One thing this challenge did for me that I have noticed, since this the second reply I've done in a row, is that using my immagination to further expand the creation has been very refreshing. I've lost that over the years, and I'm glad to have it visit me again. :)
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Barbrickian
Freeman

Post by Barbrickian »

Wow! Nice. I was hoping someone did something other than a standard castle. Is the cavern on the back accessible somehow? I see a door from inside the cavern, but don't see it come out anywhere on the outside.
nanuck95
Court jester

Post by nanuck95 »

Cool! I like how you incorporated the cave entrance into the mountain. With the trees and the way you put the rocks on the front, it screens it a bit and you don't notice the entrance from the front. I think you captured the feel of the forestmen sets as well, looks great!
Tycho McKorley
Artisan

Post by Tycho McKorley »

Thank you all for the helpful feedback and comments. I do appreciate it.
The guys wearing armor certainly didn't climb up the walls
Hey, the Forestmen are much stronger than your run-of-the-mill Royal Knight! I think they climb walls well. :-p Seriously though, I forgot ladders! Silly me.
is the cavern on the back accessible somehow?

The door in the cave ultimately leads to nowhere except where your imagination might take you. My conception of the MOC was that it was a "cut-way" from the mountain (hence why everything in the back and on the sides is black). The entirety of an old tower sits atop the hill and fulfills the 32x32 castle size requirement, but the caves underneath show a cut-away of the extensive caves the Forestmen keep for themselves. That was the idea anyway. It's good to get feedback on this because it shows what works and what doesn't.
I think you captured the feel of the forestmen sets as well, looks great!
Thank you! That was the goal and I'm glad you feel I met it.
Last edited by Tycho McKorley on Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Tycho123]My Brickshelf Folder[/url]
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

A nice enjoyable MOC. I'm always partial to a waterfall and some forestmen, so this one has it all ; )

Thanks for sharing and God Bless,

Nathan
ben_toy_tech
Villein

Post by ben_toy_tech »

Wonderful. I have a special fondness for the Forestmen theme. I like how you did the cutaway underneath. Nice easter egg, unusual to find in a 32x32.
My Site - [url=http://www.toysperiod.com]ToysPeriod[/url] My Blog - [url=http://www.toysperiod.com/blog/]Ask Toy Tech[/url]