Weekly Set Review: Battle at the Pass

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Battle at the Pass

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 8813 Battle at the Pass.

Battle at the Pass was released in 2006 for Knight's Kingdom II. Five knights of Morcia defend their towers, wall, and gate with falling axes and boiling oil. Five rogue knights attack with their siege tower, catapult, and battering ram.

A weapons cart, skeleton, and various accessories are included. With over 30 weapons, this set has more weapons than any other mid-sized castle set.

Username
Councilor

Re: Weekly Set Review: Battle at the Pass

Post by Username »

Two thumbs WAY up for this set. It's got just about everything you need except for a horse.
Lord Lego 436
Laborer

Post by Lord Lego 436 »

Probaby the only Knights Kingdom (3?) set to come out. The accessories are great, and the soldiers defending the pass are even better.
"Humans build atomic bombs, but no mouse in the world would be stupid enough to design a mousetrap."
- Albert Einstien

My MOCpage: http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/16960
Laird Cashman
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by Laird Cashman »

This set was pure genius on the part of the designers, reason being that the gate was a brilliant asset; however, this set had no dimension, depth, or width of wall. The minifigures were near to perfect, but a horse would have been nice. I didn't keep the siege weapons intact because they used rare pieces such as the ladder or stairway. This set was exceeding in ability to use. With all of the minifigures, weapons, and hiding places, it provided great fun, and I'd love to see it reproduced.
I am an alien, here to eat you all, regurgitate you, gingerly poke your remains, and then devour them. FUN, RIGHT?!
BrianofBrick06
Foot Soldier

Post by BrianofBrick06 »

This set is really interesting in my opinion. I still have not picked one up, but it definitely has a large amount of figures, accessories, and varying pieces. Also, this was a very good set as far as playability is concerned. It really reminds me of 6059 knight's stronghold. I saw a new one of these online for about fifty dollars, and I am very tempted to grab one...
Tycho McKorley
Artisan

Post by Tycho McKorley »

This was the one of the only sets I purchased during my four-year near-hiatus from Lego (an involuntary Dark Age really). I think it was definitely one of the strongest sets of the KKII line. That said, the design of the wall itself was a little weak, but it always seemed to me it was supposed to supplement some larger castle that never got released.

Anyway, the minifigs were great and the rare pieces were a big plus.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Tycho123]My Brickshelf Folder[/url]
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

Well it's a great set.
Good pices and good figs.
But as many other have pointed out it would have been better with a horse.
So from me it gets 7/10.

CastleLord.
CastleLord. The Lord of the castle.
TFOL and computer nerd. I do as I please and live life to the fullest!
Please visit:
and [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/castlelord/]My Flickr[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I really wish I had seen this set while in production. I think this was the best KKII set. If more of KKII had been like this I think it would not have been so bad.

Great minifigs, parts and armaments....

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
The Rookie
Serf

Post by The Rookie »

Dunno, Honestly the set itself is great! Swinging brown doors, some wall pieces here and there. The only thing that bothers me is the price. $40 Nearly fits, I would have shaved it down to $30.
"The Pen is mightier than the noble sword, but when you're in battle well... Ugh you're outta' luck..."
~Charlemagne the Conqueror, edited by myself.
Teherean
Steward

Post by Teherean »

One of the only KK2 sets that I really wanted to have. So, when I got it for christmas I was very happy. usefull set, usefull figs, usefull everything! :D
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Username wrote:It's got just about everything you need except for a horse.
And pants for the knights...

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Athos wrote:
Username wrote:It's got just about everything you need except for a horse.
And pants for the knights...

Steve
They're doing the Conan bikini thing.
Last edited by Username on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

As KK2 sets go, this is the best one. Ten well armed figs, and with enough weapons to equip twice that. The builing isn't impressive, but considering the time period, it was a good building. The seige weapons were kind of meh, but overall the were pretty nice.

The only REAL problem with this set, is that most of the Rouge Knights forgot to put on their pants.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
Evil Ben
Freeman

Post by Evil Ben »

Lots of rank-and-file soldier figs, which was unusual for KKII, though with the lack of shields that persists (to a lesser extent) into the present. The wall looked a bit more impressive in real life than in the photos, and anyway there are enough pieces to construct something else; a couple of sets actually allows a passable little castle if you don't mind using the big wall elements.

I would never even have thought of seeing the yellow rogue knights as lacking trousers if it hadn't been for this forum - any more than I think the yellow classic spaceman went out into the cosmos naked but with a nifty tattoo on his torso, or that the yellow castle was built from a heaving mass of minifig flesh...
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

I agree with most of the others that this is one of the best if not the best KKII set. I wanted to buy it when it was still available, but i could't find it anywhere. The large amount of minifigs, siege engines and traps on the walls give this set an excellent playability. I don't really like the wall (except for the doors) since it mainly excists of big and ugly wall pieces, but for $40 they had to save on something, although I think the wall would have looked much nicer if they had used the classic 1x3x5 wall pieces instead of those ugly KKII wall pieces.