What's this...ANOTHER &#*!@% Lego Battles Tabletop Wargame!?

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Stoob
Serf

What's this...ANOTHER &#*!@% Lego Battles Tabletop Wargame!?

Post by Stoob »

Hi Lego enthusiasts.

There are a few pretty good Lego battles rulesets out there. I read them all, and weren't quite my thing. While good, they were either way too wordy, too complex, or too simple to suit me.

I've combined the best ideas that I found with a few of my own into a ruleset that fits on just one piece of paper (double sided), requires no "record sheets", works for any genre, leaves some creativity up to the players, and is fast and fun to play. Friends and I playtested it, and it works great....Booyah!

It's called Minifigz, try it. Comments welcome!

http://www.launchfightersgame.com/minifigz/Minifigz.pdf
Last edited by Stoob on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blaze Ryder
Peasant

Re: What's this...ANOTHER &#*!@% Lego Battles Tabletop Wargame!?

Post by Blaze Ryder »

This looks and sounds like a great game from what I've read. The only things it lacks for me to try it out is an explanation on "Big Figz" and what they can do besides push people out of the way, and how many health points does one block of health constitute?
Stoob
Serf

Post by Stoob »

Hi! thanks for your feedback. You are correct, that I do not give much explanation on what a Big Fig is, so I have made a couple minor edits to the text, as well as updated the URL to a properly hosted site. go ahead and download the latest version.

To answer your questions here, though, a Big Fig is a huge thing that is three times or more the size of a regular size minifig. Examples might be a dinosaur, car, AT-AT walker, huge rediculously big giant, rolling catapult, etc. A horse, troll, or motorcycle would NOT be a big fig.

Also, a standard minifig has 4 hit points. More durable things have blocks of 4 extra hit points, for a total of 4,8,12,16 etc These "blocks" of 4 hit points are killed one at a time. Make sense? Note that something doesn't have to be a Big Fig to have extra hit points. Batman might have 2 blocks of hit points just cause he's tough as nails.

What can a Big Fig do? Well whatever the players agree it can do. Legos are about creativity, so i don't want to bog things down with a bunch of rules about what you build and how it works. If someone puts a giant robotic spider with lasers for eyes on the battlefield, everyone could agree it has 3 blocks of hit points (for 12 hit points), can shoot two lasers (count as rifles) out of its eyes, has a "power" of +1 armor, and can move 12". If someone wants to fight a triceratops, you can say he can attack any one target with horns for 2 dice of damage, stomp another target for 1d of damage, has +2 armor, +1 defense, 4 blocks of hit points (16 total) and moves 6". Whatever you want!

I don't want to stifle the creativity of the players on how many hit point blocks your super awesome construction has, the main things is the players should agree what things are worth before the game starts. i'd appreciate any more feedback you have.
mystuffiscool
Apprentice

Post by mystuffiscool »

Wow! I like it... I'll have to try it soon!
Mystuffiscool
----------
My Flickr: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/legoworshipper/[/url]

"Just between you and me, I think 'everything' bagels are making a lot of promises they can't keep."

Okay, so now I'm an Apprentice! To what exactly...?
DarkTemplar
Leonardo

Post by DarkTemplar »

I love it, it has all bases covered. There was just one thing I was thinking. You could add a rule like in warhammer, were if your leader/majority of your squad is killed you are forced to take a retreat roll, and then perhaps you could enhance it by saying if you roll a six, you're given blood lust or something. Just a thought...

But yea great game!
Stoob
Serf

Post by Stoob »

hi guys, thanks for your feedback. I do like your idea that if the hero is killed, the followers may panic/retreat/whatever. This could be a rule you and your group could try out next time you play. It seems more appropriate for "undisciplined" troops: orcs, goblins, skeletons, peasants, etc. but certainly it is a valid idea. I could definitely see a bunch of zombies going berzerk if their necromancer leader were eaten by a dragon, for instance! haha! :spin:

I've also gotten a suggestion that "charging" should be added to the rules. This is pretty easy to do, and it would go something like this: "If a Minifig moves 6" or more in a straight line from its starting point to its intended target, the attacking Minifig gets +1 damage on all melee attacks this turn."

I may or may not add either one of these rules to the PDF, but I certainly encourage people to use and modify the rules as they see fit for their own games.
Blaze Ryder
Peasant

Post by Blaze Ryder »

I think zombies would drop if the source of their life was eaten. And for the charge rules, they should take a -1 od Defence since they would have all their focus on moving.
Stoob
Serf

Post by Stoob »

hey thanks. I always tell people "hey i'll publish it, you change the rules however you want".... it's your game and we're just having fun right?

However, notice that I carefully made sure that there is never a "minus anything" when doing "to hit" calculations. This is for simplicity, and I would hope people keep keep their changes in this spirit.

I dislike playing games when I have to "add 2, subtract 1, add 1, subtract 1, subtract another 1, so that's uhhhhhh..... (long pause!) .... oh I guess that's just the regular 'to-hit' number".

all attack/damage rolls are modified by a +something, never a -something

have fun!
DarkTemplar
Leonardo

Post by DarkTemplar »

Stoob wrote: I dislike playing games when I have to "add 2, subtract 1, add 1, subtract 1, subtract another 1, so that's uhhhhhh..... (long pause!) .... oh I guess that's just the regular 'to-hit' number".

all attack/damage rolls are modified by a +something, never a -something

have fun!
Yea I have to agree with you there. It makes it so hard to learn a new game when the rules are constantly changing, especially if both players are new. Perhaps you could make an appendix with advanced rules that people have suggested, for veterans who are looking to spice up the game?
Laird Cashman
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by Laird Cashman »

Interesting. It might be more fun if it were to have, like, a number of objective, or a rogue army that could be hired as mercenaries, etc. Pretty good. :)
I am an alien, here to eat you all, regurgitate you, gingerly poke your remains, and then devour them. FUN, RIGHT?!
Mörs
Dragon Bait

Post by Mörs »

I think it's much better to make up your own rules than to simply follow what Brikwars or something of that sort propagates... That's what I always used to do with my friend... and we hadn't even heard of Brikwars back then.

I remember reading the Brikwars rules and one thing I disliked in particular was the classes of units (as in, scout, warrior etc.). I believe they had only like 7 classes of units, and some of them were pretty bizzare, like the amazon...
Stoob
Serf

Post by Stoob »

Mors, I agree about Brikwars - it was not my style. But hey, that's fine. I'm sure my ruleset is not some people's style either. Here it is, after much playtesting, Minifigz 2.0, with new improved ... Fignezz?

Feel free to play it, ignore it, criticize it, adapt it, pass it to a friend, or whatever.

http://www.consortiumgames.com/minifigz/Minifigz.pdf