A Song of Ice and Fire?

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Count
Freeman

A Song of Ice and Fire?

Post by Count »

I was just curious if anyone knows of any "Song of Ice and Fire" MOC's. I think that the books are on the level of Tolkein and I'm sure I'm not alone. One could come up with some pretty amazing MOC's. Say... Kings Landing, Winterfell, The Wall? This isn't a post to discuss the awesomeness of George R. R. Martin, I'm just curious if anyone has seen any good MOC's regarding the subject.

-Count
Ser Loktar
Foot Soldier

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire?

Post by Ser Loktar »

Hey Count,
GRRM rocks, and I had that question in mind when I first hit this forum years ago.
I can still only find this guy on MOCpages but his Winterfell is pretty cool. The rest of his Westerosi themed MOCs aren't quite as impressive but he is trying.
I've got enough lego to make a nice attempt as well but have no access to a camera, though if I ever do, you'll see armies that look like they belong in Westeros in my BS folder.
You find anything better out there, you let me know plz,

Ser Loktar
Not a misspelling that's 'Ser' with an 'E'
When I was a lad my mother told me that if I stood around all day with my mouth open a weasel was liable to mistake it for his den and jump right in. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise, beware of weasels.
GRRM
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

Please.........Regardless of what Martin says, he is no Tolkein. Both tell sweeping epic adventure stories, but Tolkein did it without sex, profanity, or machevelian<Sp> 'heroes'. He also did it with an entire language and world history as backing.

That being said, ASoIF is great fun, and a massive source of MOC fodder.

Dragonstone would be killer if done right.
Domino Gloria!
Count
Freeman

Post by Count »

That Winterfell is kinda cool. It's nothing close to what I pictured but its cool that someone made a MOC of it. Hopefully when the HBO show starts the show will get even more recognition and more people with make MOC's from the books. After I finish my current large project I think ill give it a try. Maybe the red keep in Kings Landing.

-Count
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

timber_wolf899 wrote:Please.........Regardless of what Martin says, he is no Tolkein. Both tell sweeping epic adventure stories, but Tolkein did it without sex, profanity, or machevelian<Sp> 'heroes'. He also did it with an entire language and world history as backing.

That being said, ASoIF is great fun, and a massive source of MOC fodder.

Dragonstone would be killer if done right.

No, he isn't Tolkien. He is himself. I personally enjoyed GRRM's stories far more than the Tolkien stuff. I liked the more realistic setting and the more believable characters. I've often thought of doing a few vignettes from the series, but too few people would recognize it I think.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

I know this is not the place to discuss literature, but i cannot resist. Asside from my opinion that tolkein displays more skill in his writing.........As a matter of taste......If stark realism were something i wanted, i wouldn't be reading fantasy.

I like my heroes to be heroes thanks!
Domino Gloria!
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

All fantasy is grounded in realism.
Sleepy Hollow
Peasant

Post by Sleepy Hollow »

Do tell me, are these books interesting? :)
Dad, they come through the doors!

My MOCPage: http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/26189
Joebot
Villein

Post by Joebot »

I've often wondered that too, why there aren't more MOCs from Martin's books. The heraldry we have from Lego lends itself pretty well to Westeros. For example:

- Lions: Lannisters
- Wolfpack: Starks
- Forestmen: Bannisters
- Dragons: Targaryens

I've often thought of putting together some mini-figure MOCs, but just haven't gotten around to it.

As for the books themselves, I love the first three. Best fantasy epic published in the last 30 years, in my opinion. The 4th book falls down a bit, and who knows if / when we'll ever see the 5th.

Comparing Tolkein to Martin is kind of an "apples and oranges" comparison. They're both excellent at what they do ... but they're doing very different things.
Sleepy Hollow
Peasant

Post by Sleepy Hollow »

You also forget the great Sword of Shannara fantasy age. Great books I assure you. :)
Dad, they come through the doors!

My MOCPage: http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/26189
DraconisTerrena
Apprentice

Post by DraconisTerrena »

I'm actually working on a few SoI&F vignettes. Hopefully I'll have them up after Christmas (which is when I'm getting some of the parts I need to finish them); they might even be ready in time for CCCVII.
"A warrior is always joyful because his love is unalterable and his beloved, the earth, embraces him and bestows upon him inconceivable gifts."
-- Don Juan, Tales of Power by Carlos Castaneda
Ser Loktar
Foot Soldier

Post by Ser Loktar »

Figures my computer fritzes as soon as a good thread is started and I don't see it for a week. Nice to finally get back.

Rogue27, well said.

Sleepy hollow, if you want ubergood and uberevil, black and white, wizards with lightning bolts coming out their backsides, then Tolkien is for you.
If on the other hand you enjoy reading about a world without elves, orcs, dwarves, and wizards, a world where all characters have shades of grey in their soul, a world where magic is something most people wouldn't believe in, where ethnicities (SP?), theologies, and political systems closely and believably mirror our own world's, then Ice and FIre may be more up your alley.
It really is apples and oranges as many people would rather have nice white knight types saving the world, than have main adult male characters looking longingly at 13 year old girls, or spend all their time trying to figure out who the good guy is.

Timberwolf899, you bring to mind a good point, that GRRM barely touches on the linguistic differences in his major cultures, while Tolkien was a linguist, and it certainly showed. I was however disappointed with Tolkien's comparative lack of concern with fleshing out religious and cultural differences, though the difference between orc and elf could kinda be thought similar. I wish GRRM had half the linguistic background Tolkien did, but am much happier with his various portrayals of real-ish world ethnic groups compared to the maneating orcs and forest dwelling elves found in LOTR. As rogue27 said, I find Martin's a more realistic setting. If you like fantasy for fantasy, you've made the right pick.

Joebot, You mean Baratheon, not Bannisters, and I agree existing TLG heraldry should make ASOIF MOCs reasonably easier, and more common, just a shame more lego enthusiasts haven't heard about it. If I ever get a digicam I'll show pics of my Renly Baratheon, which uses the FM shield to effect. Off topic, kinda, but you didn't find AFFC on par? I know the splitting of it is a bit of a letdown, but I thought it a proper continuance. What's your beef? My fingers are also crossed GRRM dosen't pull a Robert Jordan on us, let's hope for summer 2010.
Hella rant, yes?
Ser Loktar
When I was a lad my mother told me that if I stood around all day with my mouth open a weasel was liable to mistake it for his den and jump right in. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise, beware of weasels.
GRRM
Joebot
Villein

Post by Joebot »

Ser Loktar wrote: Joebot, You mean Baratheon, not Bannisters,
Oops! Yep, you're right of course. I guess I mashed together "Baratheon" and "Lannister." D'oh!
Ser Loktar wrote:Off topic, kinda, but you didn't find AFFC on par? I know the splitting of it is a bit of a letdown, but I thought it a proper continuance. What's your beef? My fingers are also crossed GRRM dosen't pull a Robert Jordan on us, let's hope for summer 2010.
I did not find "Feast" to be up to par with the first three books. Much of the book is taken up with Brienne's long, boring trek through the wilderness. Brienne is fine as a supporting character, but I'm not sure she's up to the task of carrying huge chunks of the narrative.

Also, the book suffered badly from the "split," because all the best characters got pushed back to "Dance with Dragons." In all fairness, it's hard for me to be objective about "Feast." I think if "Dance" had come quickly on its heels, within say 6-12 months, I wouldn't look on "Feast" quite so harshly. But as the years go by, and we wait and we wait for "Dance," my disappointment with "Feast" just gets worse and worse.

This discussion is getting me motivated to finally make my Song of Ice and Fire mini-figs that I've had kicking around in my head for years!
Ser Loktar
Foot Soldier

Post by Ser Loktar »

Yo Joebot,
I think I see where you're coming from, and I can say that some of Brienne's chapters, notably anything with Crab in it, were kinda long and slow going till the end. I did enjoy her jaunt with the hedge knights, and her trek with Merribald was some good fun, just wondering how it'll all play out. Did you notice she walked by Arya?! I do like the thought that any character can become a main character, kinda spices it up.
I quite agree all the best characters are missing, though I did satiate my appetite with the various samples out there. Martin rotates them on his site from time to time, (Jon, Dany, Tyrion)
Just hope the HBO series gets picked up, that'll lit a fire under GRRM.
Hope to see your figs soon, who're ya doing?
Ser Loktar

And apologies admins if this is getting off topic, so shut me up and I'll happily resort to PMs.
GRRM
quaraga
Total n00b
Total n00b
Location: roflysst (rolling on the floor laughing, yet still somehow typing)

Post by quaraga »

well the kk2 dudes would work for mormonts arryns tyrells targaryens and lannisters plus vladiks sword would mak a good lightbringer (stannis's sword)

one problem though, in asoiaf they use greatswords minifigs cant use 2h weapons with that small a hilt.
He who thinks you should look at the box that says "Quaraga" if you want to find out his username (about as useful to you as his real name). he only wants you to look so he can laugh about you looking there because he's a total smart...