Sava's Cathedral Project

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Sava's Cathedral Project

Post by SavaTheAggie »

There actually is a St. Sava, though that's probably not what I'll be calling it. (My saint name is Francis, so I may dedicate it to him.)

This is my scaled diagram of the cathedral I'm planning. That's right, it's not a train, I'm finally going to build a true, large castle MOC.

The floor plan you see here is a modified version of St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City. While the layout will be similar to that, the architecture will look more like Chartres Cathedral, with a nice Gothic look with flying buttresses. It's not going to be the most ornate cathedral ever built, but it will be a nice size - 2x4 green baseplates. I've chosen this size because I'd like to take it to shows, and anything larger would either be hard to move or incorporate (plus smaller is cheaper). I hope to be able to design it to break into 3 sections (I was hoping for four but looking into it it just won't work out that way). I'm NOT going to be striving for historical/period accuracy - it will ultimately be a design of my imagination.

I already know I'm going to need to acquire more arches and slopes in grey, and a huge number of transparent colored bricks and plates for the windows. However, for everything else I plan to finally tear apart Ulmaris Castle and the Temple of Formeathan. Ulmaris Castle has been built for four or five years now, and for the last two it's been boxed up in storage. The Temple of Formeathan is even older - built in 2004, and I've never even taken official pictures of it (I will fix that before the end, though).

Worry not, Ikros fans. I've pretty much figured out trying to shoehorn Ulmaris into the story as I was attempting is a big reason why I couldn't get up the want to continue the story. As for the Temple, I have plans to build something different (hopefully better) for the story that will actually make it better (the story has Garadaine seeking out the Oracle, who was going to live in the Temple of Formeathan. Since the temple would have had to have been only about 30 years old, actually much younger), I can't see how the Oracle would have been all that famous after only that short of time. An older, more dilapidated temple will fit the bill much nicer).

I'll be posting work in progress photos in my Flickr gallery as time goes by. I'll add to this thread, too, if y'all are interested.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Re: St. Sava's Cathedral Project

Post by Maedhros »

SavaTheAggie wrote:There actually is a St. Sava, though that's probably not what I'll be calling it.
And here I was hoping for a nice Serbian Orthodox church ;)

Well, it's nice to see some castley ambition again, good luck and keep us posted.
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

Sounds good!
I'm actually busy building a portion of a cathedral right now, and it's fun to do but quite parts intensive (at least the way i do it). Make sure you have enough flex tubes and 1x1 round bricks, i didn't have nearly enough of those.
ELMAS
Apprentice

Post by ELMAS »

Hey Tony!

Its great to see you up-taking this project.
Let me know if you need help taking ULMARIS appart :)
Chris
Tycho McKorley
Artisan

Post by Tycho McKorley »

One of my first mega castle projects was a bascilica (pictured in my sig- built in 2004), so I admit that I'm partial to medieval church building. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Welcome back from the world of trains.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Tycho123]My Brickshelf Folder[/url]
Rick-Ricks
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by Rick-Ricks »

I'm excited to see this.
Elbadar
Artisan

Post by Elbadar »

Cool, Francis is my St. name too :D . I also like to build castle churches and am presently building one, only at a horrible snails pace so it could ba awhile :( . Your plan looks great, and having seen St. Patricks I'd sayt thats a great inspiration. Hope to see more Ikros aswell btw.
Back to the front!
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Look forward to seeing this Tony. Looks like an awesome project. I will begin stopping by your Ikros site again to keep up with it. Do post pictures of the Temple though.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

I have a new picture, though it's not all that "new". It's the same picture as before, but I've slid baseplates underneath it to create an actual stud-map. It turns out the drawing I'm using is flawed - the front doors don't line up with the centerline of the building - but I'll fix that when I start building.

Maedhros wrote:
SavaTheAggie wrote:There actually is a St. Sava, though that's probably not what I'll be calling it.
And here I was hoping for a nice Serbian Orthodox church ;)

Well, it's nice to see some castley ambition again, good luck and keep us posted.
Hehe... sorry. As someone who grew up with a romanticized vision of medieval Europe, I've always been fond of the Gothic cathedrals.

I could also dedicate it to St. Anthony or St. Joseph, since the former is a saint my grandparents seemed to really gravitate towards, and the latter is the name my grandfather took as his saint name (and how I got my middle name).
DNL wrote:Sounds good!
I'm actually busy building a portion of a cathedral right now, and it's fun to do but quite parts intensive (at least the way i do it). Make sure you have enough flex tubes and 1x1 round bricks, i didn't have nearly enough of those.
Well great, maybe I should stop while I'm ahead before you finish yours. :tasty: I don't really plan to use a lot of flextubing in my cathedral (that might change, I don't know), but I've plenty of 1x1 round bricks. The 20+ 3x3 plus shaped columns of the Temple of Formeathan are comprised entirely of 1x1 round bricks.
ELMAS wrote:Hey Tony!

Chris
I'd be happy to host a tear down party, I could smoke up some pork ribs.
Tycho McKorley wrote:One of my first mega castle projects was a bascilica (pictured in my sig- built in 2004), so I admit that I'm partial to medieval church building. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Welcome back from the world of trains.
I remember your basilica, that's about the size and girth I'm aiming for. I'm really excited to get started, but I know I've got work still to do before I can.
Rick-Ricks wrote:I'm excited to see this.
Me too!
Elbadar wrote:Cool, Francis is my St. name too :D . I also like to build castle churches and am presently building one, only at a horrible snails pace so it could ba awhile :( . Your plan looks great, and having seen St. Patricks I'd sayt thats a great inspiration. Hope to see more Ikros aswell btw.
I don't think my cathedral, even when I get started on it, will come long all that quickly. I've got a lot of learning to do while I put bricks together before I'll have all the design elements ready. I've never seen St. Patricks in person (never been to New York City), but I'm sure it's ten times as fantastic in person than in person.
Heir of Black Falcon wrote:Look forward to seeing this Tony. Looks like an awesome project. I will begin stopping by your Ikros site again to keep up with it. Do post pictures of the Temple though.

Heir
Thanks! Don't bother stopping by Ikros, I won't be posting any pictures of this project over there. Only in my Flickr gallery and in this thread.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

SavaTheAggie wrote:Hehe... sorry. As someone who grew up with a romanticized vision of medieval Europe, I've always been fond of the Gothic cathedrals.

I could also dedicate it to St. Anthony or St. Joseph, since the former is a saint my grandparents seemed to really gravitate towards, and the latter is the name my grandfather took as his saint name (and how I got my middle name).
Fair enough, I never say no to gothic cathedrals either!

And between Sts. Sava, Francis, Anthony or Joseph, I'd personally go for St. Francis with the dedication. Then again dedicating a big cathedral to a man who is most known for his preaching of poverty and humility could of course be a bit of a paradox ;)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

SavaTheAggie wrote:I have a new picture, though it's not all that "new". It's the same picture as before, but I've slid baseplates underneath it to create an actual stud-map. It turns out the drawing I'm using is flawed - the front doors don't line up with the centerline of the building - but I'll fix that when I start building.
It would be funny (for us, not you) if you had built a substantial part of your cathedral and realized the doors don't line up. :)
-Bryan
ELMAS
Apprentice

Post by ELMAS »

ELMAS wrote:Hey Tony!

Chris

I'd be happy to host a tear down party, I could smoke up some pork ribs.

Supper! Just say when! the holidays are almost here and have no plans to go anywhere. I can provide dessert and fixings :)
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Maedhros wrote:
SavaTheAggie wrote:Hehe... sorry. As someone who grew up with a romanticized vision of medieval Europe, I've always been fond of the Gothic cathedrals.

Fair enough, I never say no to gothic cathedrals either!

And between Sts. Sava, Francis, Anthony or Joseph, I'd personally go for St. Francis with the dedication. Then again dedicating a big cathedral to a man who is most known for his preaching of poverty and humility could of course be a bit of a paradox ;)
After this little conversation I began to do some more research. As it turns out there are already quite a few cathedrals dedicated to St. Francis, so paradoxical or not, I don't have to feel bad. ;)

--Tony

Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

SavaTheAggie wrote:After this little conversation I began to do some more research. As it turns out there are already quite a few cathedrals dedicated to St. Francis, so paradoxical or not, I don't have to feel bad. ;)
Heh... you really think one of the most popular saints of all time would be lacking in dedicated cathedrals? In Europe, where a lot of dioceses predate St. Francis, maybe... but there's a whole lot of the rest of the world. Ditto with St. Jospeh (for example, in Edmonton, where I live, St. Joseph has one of everything dedicated to him: cathedral-basilica, seminary, university college, high school, hospital).

St. Sava, though?

Never even heard of him until now.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Re: Sava's Cathedral Project

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Well, St. Sava isn't a Catholic Saint, he belongs to the Serbian Orthodox Church. As such there's actually very little chance of me dedicating my cathedral to him, since I'll be building it with Catholic cathedral details.

Still, a fun play on words.

--Tony