CCCVII Entry- Classic-Castle Board Game

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Quickblade22
22 times da man

CCCVII Entry- Classic-Castle Board Game

Post by Quickblade22 »

Pick 1 of 4 classic factions (Crusaders, Black Falcons, Forestmen, or Wolf Pack) on a journey to recover the crown. Features 4 sides representing the classic factions, working trap doors and swivel base plates. The premises of the game is to go around the board and collect 3 gems before being allowed to enter the inner board. Once there, you have a chance to check the treasure to see if you get the crown, but watch out, only one is correct and there is a villain hoping to stop you (Basil, Cedric, Vladek, and the Necromancer). Collect items to help you battle and build a companion along the way to help you get the crown.

Contest pics. I hope to add more in the future. Tell me what you think.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Re: CCCVII Entry- Classic-Castle Board Game

Post by shmails »

I really like the idea a lot. The board is a little busy for me, but the traps and lower area are really nice. If it was me, I would make it more like a moc, with a road (maybe different colored road for each spot?) that they travel on and rocks defining the levels. Just what popped into my head when I read the description. Nice work, I can't wait to see the next version! :)
Lord Mikal
Archer

Post by Lord Mikal »

That is super creative! I agree with shmails that the board seems a bit crowded, but with all that functionality it's hard not to be. I would replace the orange plates with something more castle-y, but beside that this is a well-executed concept. Good choice of factions and enemies. I love the way the trapdoors dump the fig into the basement. How hard are they to reset? Also, a clearer picture of the big, fancy box in the middle would be great, it looks interesting.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=mikal1]My Brickshelf[/url]
Azure, a saltire cantoned with a star in chief and in base and two crescents addorsed in the flanks, argent.
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

I tried to simulate a game session with having items on the board. I didn't want to put too much on. As for the colors of spaces, if you can see the outer board all follows the same pattern. They go: Corner piece, Unique color space, White, Dark Gray, Black, Orange, White, Tan, Black, Blue. Each color denotes a different function. For example, the Orange space is the gateway into the middle of the board, White spaces are for good items, Black spaces for villains or obstacles. The trap doors are very easy to reset, there is a lever on the space above the Orange space. When you pull it to the side, the door drops. Then there is a technic axel like this Image that when push down, it raised the door back up. Then you slide the lever you used to release the trap door back in place. All done :) I also added a piece so that when the door opens, it makes the fig slide instead of just drop, so you don't have to dig for the fig. I will get closer detailed pictures in the future, prob after the holidays, you can count on it. I don't tear down my creations for a long time usually. The big box in the middle will get a special photo too. :wink:
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
legokilt
Bailiff

Post by legokilt »

This is a great idea. Now all I need to know is where I can get one? Really well done, lots of thought and ingenuity went into making this MOC/ game.
Lego helps make history fun!
Sir Zeppelin
Foot Soldier
Location: On the battlefiels, performing my duties as a foot soldier.

Post by Sir Zeppelin »

Looks like a fun game; where can I get one? I know it's hard to design board games, I've tried myself. You did a really good job here.
Here comes the orator! With his flood of words,
And his drop of reason.
- Ben Franklin

[url=http://legotales.webs.com]LEGO Tales[/url] [url=http://castlelandgroupstories.webs.com]Castleland Group Stories[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi/]My Brickshelf[/url]

Enjoy writing LEGO castle stories? Check out [url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World/]Castle World[/url]
quaraga
Total n00b
Total n00b
Location: roflysst (rolling on the floor laughing, yet still somehow typing)

Post by quaraga »

this is great, how the heck do you play it? do you lose if you fall down a trapdoor? how is the outcome of a duel judged? that kind of thing.
-T.R.
He who thinks you should look at the box that says "Quaraga" if you want to find out his username (about as useful to you as his real name). he only wants you to look so he can laugh about you looking there because he's a total smart...
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

The rules for the game were not really expanded upon because it wasn't necessary for the contest, but what I initially envisioned was using dice rolls to solve conflicts. I need to get my hands on those Lego dice, but in the mean time, I use 2 dice from the Adventurers game, you know the ones with the "hook" in place of the # 6. What the plan was is the the player roll 2 dice and count the "hook" as a 0. So you could move between 1 and 10 spaces at a time. The "hook" roll would mean that every time a "hook" is rolled, the treasure box in spun one direction either way (players choice) and 1 other event (either a trap door being released or a villain of the players choice rotating in the direction of the players choice.) A hook roll always means that the treasure box is rotated. Unfortunately, if you try to spin it too fast, the centrifugal force will make the doors open and hit the villains. Rolling the "hook" while being on a trap door means that player's own trap door is released. I think falling in the trap door could mean a variety of things (loss of turn, loss of items, character death). The cool thing is, there is room for me to make spaces under the board to continue the adventure down there. A "double hook" is bad too, I just haven't ironed out the details :tasty: As for how you actually defeat the villains, I think the items you collect would give bonuses to the roll and the higher roll wins. You collect different items on the white spaces (armor, shield, sword, potions, etc). On 3 of the four corners are "Companion" pieces. Each time you land on that corner, you get one part to build a companion. I had it set up so that it could be either a Dwarf, a Wizard, or some kind of rogue or archer. So essentially, a 4 player game could turn into a 16 player game if you felt the need to carry it out that long. The remaining corner is a "Prison" space, which would mean you lose whatever items you currently carry and lose your turn for 3 rolls. One of the other things I wanted to implement into the game is using the large inner 4 corner pieces (Black, Tan, Sand Green, Very Light Purple) as player based and have pieces you could collect around the board to make micro castles on top of them. A lot of room to customize the game as you can see, but with the basics I have put thus far, it is still a very playable version of the game. Hope that explains it a little.