LotR Sets

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
cheeso194
Serf

LotR Sets

Post by cheeso194 »

With "The Hobbit" due to come out some time soon (and I use the term loosely), I think it would be interesting to release a Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit line. I could be like with Indy, sets released for the first movies before the new one comes out, and then once its out, sets for that.
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Re: LotR Sets

Post by Bluesecrets »

With "The Hobbit" due to come out some time soon (and I use the term loosely), I think it would be interesting to release a Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit line. I could be like with Indy, sets released for the first movies before the new one comes out, and then once its out, sets for that.
LOTR license has been discussed multiple times. With the 3 new Disney licenses, I can't see this happening. With the fantasy line, we had the makings for most of it anyway.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

I don't think it'll happen either, but not because of the Disney licenses. Prince of Persia could easily be a one year run, and the first Hobbit movie isn't set for release until December 2011.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Why license a castle theme, when Lego already has a perfectly good castle theme. And has had one for the better part of 30 years.

No more licenses...

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Reeper
Villein

Post by Reeper »

Don't be too sure...Now, at this point The Hobbit is a shaky subject due to the fact that we barely know anything about the movie yet let alone merchandising, but I stumbled upon this little gem during my online searches of all things Hobbit:
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2009/03 ... ming-soon/

Very interesting... :raiseone:
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

Don't be too sure...Now, at this point The Hobbit is a shaky subject due to the fact that we barely know anything about the movie yet let alone merchandising, but I stumbled upon this little gem during my online searches of all things Hobbit:
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2009/03 ... ming-soon/

Very interesting... :raiseone:
I wouldn't hold your breath. Remember, anyone can post anything on the net. (Kind of like we are right now.) I could sit here and say that next year LEGO is going to produce orange and purple striped castles with holographic glitter on them. And then someone would read that and go posting it all over.

In terms of licenses, LEGO still holds the Harry Potter. There is Indiana Jones, Spongebob, THE grandaddy of them all SW, Toy Story, Prince of Persia, Cars, Ferrari, Thomas the Tank, and Bob the Builder (these are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.) Now just how many more licenses do you want or need?

I for one would like to see less. The price per part is more expensive in the license sets. I dislike fleshies VERY much so.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

Hey, you know.. Maybe it could happen. I mean, LEGO has done crazier things before right? Like I read somewhere that they have a line of orange and purple striped castles with holographic glitter on them lined up for Fall 2010. :wink:

Anywho, yeah. I don't quite see LEGO coming out with any Lord of the Rings or Hobbit sets in the future. But you know, that's totally cool with me. Even though licensed lines do tend to bring some nice new elements along with them, I'd rather see more original themes.

~Amanda
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]
Reeper
Villein

Post by Reeper »

I understand completely...but, LEGO probably rakes in the dough from the licensed products, and I'm sure they're some of the most popular. (I for one am a huge fan of SW, IJ, and HP. I'm also super excited for PoP, but I digress. :wink: )
And if they know that people would buy Hobbit LEGO, who's to say they wouldn't do it?
Just a thought...It's possible.
Blue Moon Knight
Archer

Post by Blue Moon Knight »

We could get some seriously awesome stuff if Lego did a Lotr based line. It would at least be interesting for me to see where they would take the theme.
To those who are about to Lego: toss me a few bricks.
Mörs
Dragon Bait

Post by Mörs »

Athos wrote:Why license a castle theme, when Lego already has a perfectly good castle theme. And has had one for the better part of 30 years.

No more licenses...

Steve
Exactly! I don't know about you, but I think TLG is really overdoing it with all those licensed theme recently... As if they couldn't come up with anything good themselves. A lot of the licensed sets are poorly designed, anyway (except Star Wars; I'm not a fan of Star Wars, but the vehicles there are clearly very detailed).

And if you want to see LEGO LOTR, visit Saber-Scorpion's website: www.saber-scorpion.com.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I remember this was one of the first threads ever in CC - I think it was the first thread I ever posted to... but not sure about that. Well, that's how long the idea of LOTR licensing for LEGO has been around.

I don't see it ever happening... or it would have happened by now. And I guess that's ok - we have our trolls, goblins, skellies, etc. We have some dwarfs, and maybe someday we'll even get some elves.

I wouldn't mind if they did LOTR licensing, because I am a fan of both LOTR and LEGO, but I think at this point, I prefer they continue developing their current fantasy line a bit more... there's still a lot of room to move there. :)
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

There is no "current fantasy line".
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Please don't funnel all the Castle resources into more licensed themes. I prefer LEGO original designs and themes, like the 2007-2010 Castle theme, and expansion from that rather than strictly movie based designs. Granted those can be fun, but then you get into the whole issue of character reproduction in every set, flesh toned minifigures and sets limited to movie moment cutaway scenes rather than proper constructions. I don't mind the fantasy, but I prefer to NOT limit it to any one design or universe as I build. LEGO allows for you to take what they produce for each set and theme and bring it together under your own imagination. There is PLENTY of material out there from LEGO to make your own unique Lord Of The Rings collection.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

wobnam wrote:There is no "current fantasy line".
I believe "Castle" is the theme being referred to, and it is still on board for 2010. No, there are no "new" sets in the Castle theme for January 2010, but it is slated to carry through until it is phased out and replaced by another kingdom of sets. Actual mileage may vary and objects in the mirror are closer than they appear. :wink:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

I don't think it's a secret anymore that the Fantasy Era line ("Castle") that you and ottoatm are referring to has seen its last releases. There won't be any "continued development" or "room to move in".

If a Tolkien themed line replaces the Prince of Persia license alongside LEGO's own castle line, I'm all for it.