Reading Eragon into it

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Re: Reading Eragon into it

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

Dwarves and orcs were not invented by J.R.R. Tolkien. Nor were vampires invented by Bram Stoker or the Drow invented by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson. We could go on for a long time like this. I've not read Eragon but I did partially watch the movie. Yeah, I just turned the channel after a bit but, it did seem to me that it followed the classic epic story fomula that we've seen so many times before. It seems logical to equate the current LEGO line with it because it's easy to see that if dragons are tameable, you could ride them. As for it being stolen from Star Wars, I'd disagree. While Lucas has admited that his story isn't really his own, what made it original was the setting. In my opinion, Star Wars is a retelling of the Aurthurian legend.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

I just finished reading Eragon. It was awsome! :) I agree with you. The people would be easy to build but the places would be very difficult.
Reeper
Villein

Post by Reeper »

Now for my two cents:
Personally I loved the Eragon books. Yes, I do acknowlege that the story of Eragon and Luke Skywalker are pretty much the exact same with some extremely minor changes, however, I enjoy them both immensely.
They both follow the Journey of the Hero as does almost every story ever written by man. :wink:
The sad truth is, there's nothing new under the sun when it comes to storytelling. There are really only a handful of stories that are just personalized to fit an author's vision. For instance, almost any story you read that was written (or filmed, since film is just moving stories. :wink: ) within the last ten or twenty years, and you can probably find countless similarities with it and either mythological stories from centuries ago, or even from any of William Shakespeare's works, (which were actually in and of themselves inspired by acient stories).
In a nutshell, there is no reason to argue about what came first the Tolkien orc or Lewis dwarf or whatever, we can all agree that an author hyas creative freedom, and that the LEGOcompany probably used tons of sources for their fantasy era LEGOs, and personally, I'm glad they did. :)

Thanks for reading.
Blue Moon Knight
Archer

Post by Blue Moon Knight »

Reeper wrote:Now for my two cents:
Personally I loved the Eragon books. Yes, I do acknowlege that the story of Eragon and Luke Skywalker are pretty much the exact same with some extremely minor changes, however, I enjoy them both immensely.
They both follow the Journey of the Hero as does almost every story ever written by man. :wink:
The sad truth is, there's nothing new under the sun when it comes to storytelling. There are really only a handful of stories that are just personalized to fit an author's vision. For instance, almost any story you read that was written (or filmed, since film is just moving stories. :wink: ) within the last ten or twenty years, and you can probably find countless similarities with it and either mythological stories from centuries ago, or even from any of William Shakespeare's works, (which were actually in and of themselves inspired by acient stories).
In a nutshell, there is no reason to argue about what came first the Tolkien orc or Lewis dwarf or whatever, we can all agree that an author hyas creative freedom, and that the LEGOcompany probably used tons of sources for their fantasy era LEGOs, and personally, I'm glad they did. :)

Thanks for reading.
Agreed 100%.
To those who are about to Lego: toss me a few bricks.
mystuffiscool
Apprentice

Post by mystuffiscool »

Blue Moon Knight wrote:
Reeper wrote:Now for my two cents:

Thanks for reading.
Agreed 100%.
Agreed as well. Even though they're nearly identical, Inheritance yet remains my <strike>trilogy</strike> cycle :wink: of choice.
Mystuffiscool
----------
My Flickr: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/legoworshipper/[/url]

"Just between you and me, I think 'everything' bagels are making a lot of promises they can't keep."

Okay, so now I'm an Apprentice! To what exactly...?
Blue Moon Knight
Archer

mystuffiscool wrote:Agreed as well. Even though they're nearly identical, Inheritance yet remains my <strike>trilogy</strike> cycle :wink: of choice.
Is that the word? Cycle? I thought it was series... I learned something today.
Reeper
Villein

Post by Reeper »

It's great to learn....

(because)' knowledge is power!! :lol:
Blue Moon Knight
Archer

Reeper wrote:It's great to learn....

(because)' knowledge is power!! :lol:
And knowing is half the battle! :D

Anyway, ummm...Eragon is awesome!