What were your first Castle sets

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
cdljal
Gong Farmer

What were your first Castle sets

Post by cdljal »

There seems to be a lot of comparing the old and the new sets here wich I like to read and do myself but I was curious to know What everones first set (the first castle set they obtained) and the earliest set in their collection (the set they own that was released the earliest)

the answer to both questions for me is the clasic Knights Procession. I still have it and amazingly it is still intact with all its peices even after years of quests and battles.
Cracko Witcho
Serf

Re: What were your first Castle sets

Post by Cracko Witcho »

http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/archives/6074.html

I can't remember exactly when this set was given to me, and for what occasion, but I would have been five or six because it was the original 1986 version. What I do remember is that I never successfully constructed the set from the instructions.

I still have some pieces from that set, including a very worn-out Tudor panel piece and some Black Falcon minifigs and accessories.
True freedom can't lean on anything. It's transient, lonely, and arduous. You can't hope for security or reward beyond it.
Blaze Ryder
Peasant

Post by Blaze Ryder »

When I was three, my family won a raffle at a Wal-Mart (I think) and included in the proze was 6024 Bandit Ambush.

I still have all the pieces, except the bow, at hand to rebuild it if I wanted to. I still enjoy rebuilding it today. It remained my only Castle set (that I recall) until the Ninjas, and later the Jellybean Knights. SO easily the highlight of my collection until the Crownies.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

The first Castle set I got was the Blacksmith Shop 6040 along with the Horse Cart 6022. They came in the Mum-built advent calendar that particular year.

My earliest set in terms of release date would be the numberless Weetabix castle from about 1970.

And now for something completely different (The Larch): I read so often things like "I still got all the parts", and I wonder: Yeah, why would you not? How does one lose Lego?

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
gormadoc1
Artisan

Post by gormadoc1 »

I think my first castle set was 6082 Fire Breathing Fortress ( http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/6082-1.jpg ) for the Dragon Masters.
It was released in 1993.
And I must say I really like it especially because it has Majisto in it :) .
I quite like it and it is still complete with instructions, box and everthing.
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.
Funnyham
Laborer

Post by Funnyham »

I had played with a big mix of a lot of old stuff when little, but the first ones I actually owned were most of todays sets.
A MOC a day keeps the doctor away.
CodeGeorge
Serf

Post by CodeGeorge »

That castle from the clown looking Royal Knights or whatever it was. It was neat. It had that ghost and stuff. I got more sets from earlier times from my friend after that (he was spoiled with Legos and gave me lots for free).
DerBum
Laborer

Post by DerBum »

http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/archives/6021.html
http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/archives/6102.html

My brother and I pooled money and bought these, they were my first sets. I took the Lions (Crusaders), he took the Black Falcons. His first castle set was:
http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/archives/0677.html
I bought a yellow semi-truck at the same time, if only I had known how great castle was back then.
Crushmaster
Freeman

Post by Crushmaster »

I must admit I'm not entirely sure what it was...I think it was a Fright Knight's figure pack or something, or perhaps the set with the Fright Knight lord and a dragon.

As to first LEGO set ever, it was a western set with a horse-drawn wagon, cannon, and soldier.
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Christ is Lord and King! To Him I give all glory and honor.
Romans 10:13 - For whoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Luke 13:3b - Except you repent, you shall all likewise perish.
Want to talk about theology or something? PM me.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

My first castle set was 6010 Supply Cart. Soon I also had my favorite set, 6080 Kings Castle.
Jojo wrote:And now for something completely different (The Larch): I read so often things like "I still got all the parts", and I wonder: Yeah, why would you not? How does one lose Lego?
Three causes that led to my lost Lego are:

1. Moving to various houses while growing up.
2. Holes in the floors of the above mentioned old houses
3. Younger siblings - This also leads to broken black swords, round shields, lion flags, etc.

But with all of these problems, our family Lego collection including the castle sets are only missing 2-3% of the bricks. Pieces damaged from play wear would be a higher percentage.

Ben
Cdr.Donatra
Serf

Post by Cdr.Donatra »

cdljal wrote:What everones first set (the first castle set they obtained)...
Mine was the 375/6075 [Yellow] Castle that my mum bought me one blessed Christmas... :tasty: :spin:

I loved it, they were also my first modern minifigs (I'd had the police station with the old style, rigid faceless chaps before that, and various other bits) and I loved the horses too!

Then I got the 383/6083 Knight's Tournament, which I didn't like much because of the silly caparisons on the horses, but I DID very much like the Queen figure (despite her daft hair) as she was the first clearly female fig I ever saw, and being female that mattered a lot to me! :wink:

I don't own any sets now (mine all went when we moved several times in my late teens :( - we got evicted from a 2-bedroom maisonette into bedsits, SO much stuff just HAD to go, we had no room :cry: ) and plan to only buy loose bricks, and make my own: I'm doing a lot of space/castle crossovers at present and my long-term plan is an alien castle and space base on a planet.

Dx
"Whatever good things we build end up building us."
~ Jim Rohn
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

My first Castle set was one of these three Shell promotional sets.
Image Image Image
As a kid I was a space guy, and all of my sets were from the Classic Space era of red and white spacemen, plus a set of basic bricks and a couple of town sets. What brought me out of my dark age was this series of promo sets at my local gas station (not just these three - there were ten total from various themes) - they were $2 with a tank of gas, so I figured "why not?" and got one. That brought back all the great memories, and I quickly bought all of the series of promo sets each time I went by that gas station. Then I got my old collection that was still in my parents' basement, then found ebay, then brickbay, etc etc etc.

Bruce
[url=http://comicbricks.blogspot.com/]ComicBricks[/url] [url=http://godbricks.blogspot.com/]GodBricks[/url] [url=http://microbricks.blogspot.com/]MicroBricks[/url] [url=http://minilandbricks.blogspot.com/]MinilandBricks[/url] [url=http://scibricks.blogspot.com/]SciBricks[/url] [url=http://vignettebricks.blogspot.com/]VignetteBricks[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/bricktales/]Brick Tales[/url]
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

My first Castle sets were the 6075 yellow Castle
and the 6083 Knights Joust
Image.
I never got any other Castle sets following those two (but I had two of 6086) until after my teenage social experiment also known as the Dark Ages among AFOLs. LEGO sets were a thing I needed variety from, but I played with and rebuilt those ones more often than much of the rest of my collection (which was mostly Town and Space). The last thing my Yellow Castle became (along with other parts) before a long hiatus upon the top bookshelf was a Viking ship. I did not get a single "horse minifigure" even until 1992 when I rediscovered LEGO through Pirates/Imperial Guards, Black Knights/Crusaders/Forestmen and Space Police/Blacktron. Since then I have been a active and continuous collector and builder, and now with kids of my own I support the TLC group nearly every chance I get. :tasty:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

I love these type of threads as I learn a lot about others passion for their castle sets. Thanks to those who have elaborated a bit on their collecting...

The first castle set I bought was 6054. Still my favorite mid sized set.

My oldest castle set is a second hand 375 purchased in 2007.

I started collecting in 1988 when I was first accepted into post graduate school. Luckily for me I was old enough and poor enough (i.e. college student) that I took great care of those early sets I bought. I have every piece, instruction manual, and box from every set I have ever bought. From 1988 I became a collector of castle and bought atleast one of every castle set and multiples of many. In 1997 after 10 happy years, the fright knights drove me into a dark age. I was still buying the sets, but I couldn't even bring myself to build them. I thought they were that bad. :roll: For 3 years I purchased sets that sat new in the boxes. After 2000 when lego gave castle a big break, I took one too. I went into a true dark age with no purchasing at all.

I thought lego was doomed and had no future on the path they were heading and didn't buy anything castle for 7 years. That was until 2007 when the fantasy collection came out! Holy moly! :woo: These new sets were well designed and looked awesome. I was reborn and excited about lego again. I decided to go back and collect all of the old sets I missed out on. I got back just in time. I was able to obtain all of the Knights Kingdom II and Viking sets I had missed out on for less than their original cost. These things were still in stock on Amazon and other online retailers 3 years after their first release.

Then I went back and built every old classic set I had. I even opened all of the fright knight and kk1 sets from their sealed boxes and built them too. Then I built all of the kk2 and viking sets. Finally I built the new fantasy sets. My garage was bursting with lego sets on tables. It was really cool to build everything in chronological order to see where lego went through the years. It was the most fun I have ever had with lego. Has anyone else ever done this?

Since my emergence from my dark age in 2007, I have gone back and obtained all but about 10 castle sets ever made. The ones I am missing are small sets. (less than 100 pieces) I plan on completing my collection over the next couple of years. After buying some beat up sets on ebay, I have learned to be careful in buying classic castle sets. I now use bricklink only for obtaining them.

Funny enough I do not own a single set from the Ninja line nor do I desire to. I didn't think of them as castle. Yet I like the viking and fantasy lines. Am I the only one that feels this way?
nanuck95
Court jester

Post by nanuck95 »

My parents bought me 6073 Knights Castle and 6030 Catapult for my birthday one year when I was a kid. While I really enjoyed them, my brothers and I were more into space and I missed out on all castle sets until 2007 when the fantasy line came out. I've since gone back and picked up quite a few classic sets, including most of the forestmen sets, the wolfpack sets, and a few black falcons and black knights.

I would love to get my hands on some of the older castles, like 6074 Black Falcon's Fortress, and 6080 Kings Castle someday, but with all the great new sets coming out, most of my Lego budget goes towards newer stuff, with the occasional ebay or bricklink purchase if I find a good deal on a vintage set.