Age Of Empires Question

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
MaceyWindu
Laborer

Age Of Empires Question

Post by MaceyWindu »

I am a big AOE fan. I have 2 and 3 (unfortunately was no t a fan at the time of the first one). What I am wondering is whether anyone knows if the original AOE will run on a Windows XP. It is designed for a 95 so I'm not too sure. I have a couple games that are made for 95's but run on my XP. If anyone knows, an answer would be greatly appreciated.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

This is hardly the place I expect to find myself....on the gaming forum, giving advise about a computer game...odd, very odd. But, as it happens, I have both a Windows XP computer and Age of Empires, and yes, it does run on XP, quite nicely. Glad I can help.

Dan :wink:

Odd, very odd.
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
MaceyWindu
Laborer

Post by MaceyWindu »

The original? Wow! Thanks. On to Amazon.com.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."
moose
Villein

Re: Age Of Empires Question

Post by moose »

MaceyWindu wrote:I am a big AOE fan. I have 2 and 3 (unfortunately was no t a fan at the time of the first one). What I am wondering is whether anyone knows if the original AOE will run on a Windows XP. It is designed for a 95 so I'm not too sure. I have a couple games that are made for 95's but run on my XP. If anyone knows, an answer would be greatly appreciated.
It should work. Lols I got a Golden Edition pack of all there for 12.00 ;)
Eulliiiiiiaaaaa. Give em blood and vineger. - The words of a hare of the long patrol.
gormadoc1
Artisan

Post by gormadoc1 »

I downloaded the trial and it worked fine on my XP although within 30 mins I uninstalled it and went back to playing AOE 2 because AOE one is not a great game in my opinion.
Last edited by gormadoc1 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

gormadoc1 wrote:I downloaded the trial and it worked fine on my XP although within 30 mins I uninstalled it and went back to playing AOE 2 because AOE one is not a great game.
Now i woudnt say that.
Yes it's got it's flaws, but remember No AOE1= No AOE2.
They had to begin somewhere.

CastleLord.
CastleLord. The Lord of the castle.
TFOL and computer nerd. I do as I please and live life to the fullest!
Please visit:
and [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/castlelord/]My Flickr[/url]
gormadoc1
Artisan

Post by gormadoc1 »

[quote="CastleLord"][quote="gormadoc1"]I downloaded the trial and it worked fine on my XP although within 30 mins I uninstalled it and went back to playing AOE 2 because AOE one is not a great game.[/quote]
Now i woudnt say that.
Yes it's got it's flaws, but remember No AOE1= No AOE2.
They had to begin somewhere.

CastleLord.[/quote]

Good point, I never thought of it that way, but I still prefer AOE2. :)
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.
Knight of Honor
Apprentice

Post by Knight of Honor »

A lot of people say that AOE 2 is the best AOE, I liked the cheats for AOE 1, and the blood. >:D But I like all of them, especially AOM. If Ensemble Studios remade AOE 1 and 2 to the way you can play in the non Playtest Scenario Editor mode, then that would've owned. A pity they went bankrupt.
--Knight :D
Its God's responsibility to forgive the terrorist organizations
It's our responsibility to arrange the meeting between them and god."
- Indian Armed Forces
Laird Cashman
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by Laird Cashman »

I got a Golden Edition pack of all there for 12.00 ;)[/quote] Me, too! I love those games, plus I got AOE III and expansion. Since my dad's gone for the weekend, I've been playing them excessively...

Back to the topic, I and II ran fine on my '95. Not a problem. LaIrDcAsHmAn
I am an alien, here to eat you all, regurgitate you, gingerly poke your remains, and then devour them. FUN, RIGHT?!
Mörs
Dragon Bait

Post by Mörs »

Have you noticed how AoE1 and Aoe2 are extremely similar, even though they're supposed to cover disjoint time periods? Well, the stone age from Aoe1 looks pretty much like the dark age from AoE2: you have almost no units or buildings. And the respective last age look pretty similar, too!

I liked Empire Earth much more than these...
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

I am a AOE2 fan myself. Still play on occasion, which is more than I can say for the others.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Hound Knight
Artiste De Sigifigs

Post by Hound Knight »

JoshWedin wrote:I am a AOE2 fan myself. Still play on occasion, which is more than I can say for the others.

Josh
So you're saying that nobody plays AoE anymore? :( That's sad, they're such great games.
"I can avoid being seen if I wish, but to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift."
CodeGeorge
Serf

Post by CodeGeorge »

I tried to play AoE 1 and 2 but apparently the company doesn't support the online mode anymore. I found that horribly depressing. They were great games. That was probably part of the reason I skipped AoE III.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

AOE 1 actually also works on Vista, although I don't know about Windows 7. I was a bit nervous about upgrading, but with Dell I didn't have a choice in the matter.

And AOE 1 is the best! :D (With the single exception of opening gatehouses in 2).

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

CodeGeorge wrote:I tried to play AoE 1 and 2 but apparently the company doesn't support the online mode anymore. I found that horribly depressing. They were great games. That was probably part of the reason I skipped AoE III.
I'm actually pretty sure you can still play online, but not with MSN games anymore. I think you can still play AoE 2 on IGZ (international gaming zone), at least it was possible a year ago. Not sure about AoE1 Though.