Check this out!

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Check this out!

Post by Dragon Master »

http://www.english-titles.co.uk/index.htm

Ever wanted to be a Lord, or a knight? A Baron? A count?

Well apparently if you have the cash you can buy one. I've always dreamed of being nobility, but this is weird? Legally,its ok, but don't you think people would find it odd if you signed checks as Sir ... ..., or delivered mail to a Baron?

Weird...

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

It'd be nice to be a baron or a count, but then how would I be able to choose between my new title and my current title of Reverend? I guess Reverend Sparkles sounds better anyway.
Besides, I'd much rather spend the money they're asking on LEGO.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Jojo
Master

Re: Check this out!

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Dragon Master wrote:Well apparently if you have the cash you can buy one. I've always dreamed of being nobility, but this is weird? Legally,its ok, but don't you think people would find it odd if you signed checks as Sir ... ..., or delivered mail to a Baron?
The weirder thing about buying titles is the spuriousness. When buying the title you have got the title, OK, but you do not have the nobilty as well. If you are buing an academic title it doesn't mean you are intelligent. It's fake. It's megabloks.

Bye
Jojo

Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

It is the same as with respect; You can earn it, but you can never buy it!

It is Megablocks indeed! 8)
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

Its dumb.....
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Personally, I don't see any point to buying a noble title.

What's the nobility in that?

Now being 'knighted' or being given a peerage is different. That makes sense, its a reward for a life of service and hard work (or at least the right connections). But purchasing is tacky.

Not that I have an option. Unless you have dual citizenship, there's no nobility or rovalty in Canada. Not even the Queen (I haven't a clue how many citizenships she has, but its not just Canadian).

I think I may have to go the route Dr. Sparkles. (Or is that the Reverend Dr. Sparkles, who wishes he could become His Grace, the Rev. Dr. Sparkles, Duke of Sparkleshire.)

I ain't got the brains fer a doctership, and I ain't intendin' ter stay a Mr. all me live. :wink:
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

hmmmm, buying a title? what Baloney. :roll: buying your way into society, has finally come into complete fruitation. Good Grief. Imagin how much it would cost. You would have to be noblity to become nobility. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Robin Hood wrote: Imagin how much it would cost. You would have to be noblity to become nobility. :wink:
Actually, I imagine that even a lot of them couldn't afford it (although most could). Nope, look for an influx of money-grubbing really rich people.

Uck!
TheMightyTwoAxe
Serf

Post by TheMightyTwoAxe »

Jojo said:
It's fake. It's megabloks.
Best reference ever.
Two axes are better than one :-)
The Josh
Apprentice

Post by The Josh »

I'd rather spend my money on lego.

-The Josh
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

It is a pathetic way for some person to make money.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

It's the same story as when they sell research for someones "Ancient family crest", total bogus! Just a way to make money on dumb people who knows nothing about the nobility and how it works, it has to be granted by a reigning souvereign and so on.

Imagine what would happen if someone who bought himself a title showed up in say England and told the people there, "hi I'm your new duke!" They would laugh their brains out!

Then of course it would be fun to really be nobility, but pay for it, that's just wrong.
I'm back, and so is Castle!
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

kajo163 wrote:It's the same story as when they sell research for someones "Ancient family crest", total bogus! Just a way to make money on dumb people who knows nothing about the nobility and how it works, it has to be granted by a reigning souvereign and so on.

Imagine what would happen if someone who bought himself a title showed up in say England and told the people there, "hi I'm your new duke!" They would laugh their brains out!

Then of course it would be fun to really be nobility, but pay for it, that's just wrong.
I disagree with the first part of the statement. I myself have invested hours in tracing back my family routes. Neither side was ever nobility, but I have found some info that a clan my ancestors belonged to were footsoldiers for a lord.

And there is also no such thing as a family crest. They were awarded to an individual, not a family.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I think that Kajo is referring to BOGUS operations, not to groups or such that actually intend to help you research your family history.

Interestingly enough, while both sides of my family seem to be mainly farmer/low-middle class, I have a genuine Coat of Arms from the one side, and apparent descent from a Russian prince (most likely illegitimately) from the other.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Dragon Master wrote: And there is also no such thing as a family crest. They were awarded to an individual, not a family.
It was always my understanding that heraldic symbols could identify either an individual or a family. Here's a passage from encylopedia.com that seems to support that.
system in which inherited symbols, or devices, called charges are displayed on a shield, or escutcheon, for the purpose of identifying individuals or families. In the Middle Ages the herald, often a tournament official, had to recognize men by their shields; thus he became an authority on personal and family insignia. As earlier functions of the herald grew obsolete, his chief duties became the devising, inscribing, and granting of armorial bearings. The use of personal and family insignia is ancient (it is mentioned by Homer), but heraldry proper is a feudal institution developed by noblemen using personal insignia on seals and shields that came to be transmitted to their families. It is thought to have originated in the late 12th cent., and to have been prevalent in Germany, France, Spain, and Italy, and imported into England by the Normans. The crusades and tournaments which drew together knights from many countries caused heraldry to flourish in Western Europe and the Muslim world. The practice of embroidering family emblems on the surcoat, or tabard, worn over chain mail in the 13th cent. accounts for the term “coat of arms.” The use of armorial bearings spread rapidly thereafter through all grades of feudal rank above squire. Private assumption of arms became so common that Henry V forbade it, and on the chartering of the Heralds' College in 1483 the regulations pertaining to heraldry were placed in the hands of the Garter King-of-Arms. Arms were borne by families, corporations, guilds, religious houses, inns of court, colleges, boroughs and cities, and kingdoms. In the United States the seals and insignia of colleges, cities, and the like are examples of the persistence of the heraldic tradition. For methods and conventions of displaying armorial bearings, see blazonry .
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess