1066 Norman Shield Designs

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

1066 Norman Shield Designs

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

Hi all,
I'm thinking of adding four new knights to my castle, and thought I'd share my first foray into customization with you. These are some shield designs I came up with based on some of the shields in the Bayeux Tapestry. I'm surprised that I haven't seen more of these type of designs floating around, since I'd guess that LEGO's original concept for the ovoid shield was probably based on the Bayeux Tapestry to begin with. Does anybody know if anyone else has walked down this path?
--Stephen

ImageImageImageImage
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Re: 1066 Norman Shield Designs

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Nice. Very Normanesque! I really like the one on the far left. Nice use of period art.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Thanks! The little dragon is sort of a composite of three or four historical pieces, done freehanded. I know it looks a little shaky, but I figure when reduced to a couple of centimeters, it won't be a big deal.
Reaper45
Freeman

Post by Reaper45 »

The dragon shield looks pretty sharp.
When in Rome, I do as the Romans, and when in Megablocks, I do shots at the bar.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

i have not done any shields from the tapestry, but i've always wanted to make a decal to .. i dont know... depict the style of medieval artwork in lego form? actually.. i wanted someone more talented to create one. :D
say - something that fits on a flag? or on one of these pieces? and in style is medieval, but with lego figs?
Hound Knight
Artiste De Sigifigs

Post by Hound Knight »

Aye, these look very nice! I like how the bosses and rivets look on the two that have them.
"I can avoid being seen if I wish, but to disappear entirely, that is a rare gift."
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

These are really great! I'm going to save them and use them, if you don't mind. I like the fact that you went "early" with your designs instead of doing more typical heraldry. Great stuff, keep at it!
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

By all means, if you like them, feel free to use them. I'd be interested in seeing any creations you make if you end up using them.
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

I finally decided to make these little guys. The only two elements I've customized are the shields with printed decals, and the helmets with the neckguards sawn off. I went with brick-built horses in order to match my old yellow-castle knights, and also to have some color variety. Better photos can be seen here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=424239. But even there I have to apologize for the quality of the photography. Thanks for taking a look.
elwurmogrande
Villein

Post by elwurmogrande »

I saw the Tapestry two years ago and these kite-shields are superb. Why don't you use torsi with chain mail or scale armour plus yellow hands? They would fit perfectly and create perfect Norman knights.
MOCpages: [url]http://www.mocpages.com/mocs.php?id=29862[/url]
My Brickshelf gallery: [url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... urmogrande[/url]
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Thanks. The thought of some sort of chain mail did cross my mind briefly. Since this was the first I've ever tried this sort of thing, I only set my sights on the shields, though. Maybe one day I'll pick them up again and decide to improve on them some more.
Tycho McKorley
Artisan

Post by Tycho McKorley »

Very nice work. I'm not a fan of the old Lego brick-built horses myself, but I think they work well in this case. The shields are well done as well.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Tycho123]My Brickshelf Folder[/url]
Blego7
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Blego7 »

All of these are really well done. The one on the far right I sort of like the idea of the studs holding the shield together but as far as design goes I like the left one. Well done indeed. :)
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Tycho McKorley wrote: I'm not a fan of the old Lego brick-built horses myself...
I'm not sure if many people are. I remember when my little brother got his first Lego castle set. I was a bit jealous because he had the new molded horses, and my horses were bricky and blocky. But somewhere along the way nostalgia kicked in and now I sort of have a fondness for the brick horses. I tend to think of them as an endangered species.