Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Never understood why the US called the blue wizard Majistos anyway
In Europe he was Merlin.

(and I like Merlin)
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I decided to go with the flow and vote Gandalf. All of the Lego created wizards seem to be ordinary men with a few amazing abilities... Gandalf is anything but an ordinary man.
Formendacil wrote:There is only one answer here. Gandalf. Okay, actually there are several answers: Mithrandir, Olorin, Tharkun, Incanus, the White Rider, the Grey Wanderer, Greyhame, etc.
This, by the way, is why I was saying in a previous thread that the number of names given to each character in LOTR can get confusing. It's difficult to keep track of a character when he's known by 8 (or are there more, as your 'etc.' suggests?) different names.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Well i voted Majisto, but gandalf would win. But lets look at a few things here. Gandalf is a imortal being who is just in a body. He would be dead if he was mortal. He would win only because he has imortal powers.
Majisto on the other hand is a normal human. he ahs only gone as far as he can.

By the way majisto is a verrrryyyy powerful magican and is in control of the Dragon Masters completely. Just because CC roleplay says so, dosen't mean that is the way it is. Its lego, it goes the way you say it goes. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Hmm...

If it goes the way I say ot goes than Majisto is a hedge wizard. I have other wizards in my realm who laugh at the power of Majisto. :D

Will

So if other wizards are laughing at him, Gandalf would have to win. :wink:
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

doctorsparkles wrote:This, by the way, is why I was saying in a previous thread that the number of names given to each character in LOTR can get confusing. It's difficult to keep track of a character when he's known by 8 (or are there more, as your 'etc.' suggests?) different names.
Well, I guess its just a matter of perspective. I've always been good at keeping track of names and such, so I've never had a problem. Besides, Gandalf is rare in his total number of names (8 is probably about right. Anything else would be a variation of Greyhame, I believe.) 2/3 is more common for people with more than one name (major exception: Aragorn)

Anyway, if memory serves, I was writing about the Silmarillion. Double naming is rarer there, and more-than-double-naming is practically non-existent.

Until, of course, you get into the History of Middle-earth Series. Add three names (minimum) to almost every character.

I love it!
Lord_Of_The_LEGO wrote:Gandalf is from a universe created by a great writer, Majisto is from a LEGO subtheme. In other words, you can't compare them.
You just did. If the comparison were Lotho Sackville-Baggins against the Dragon Master knight, I would probably still vote the Tolkien choice. Why? Because its from a mythology (NOT a universe) created by a great writer, while the DM is from a Lego subtheme (and not a great one at that). So basically, this can be boiled down to a preference of Lego/Tolkien.

For me, anyways, its Tolkien.

BTW: I'm just joking about the Lotho/DM thing. If it was a Knight of Dol Amroth, it'd be completely different, but I wouldn't honestly have Lotho Pimple take down a fire-breathing human. :D
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

doctorsparkles wrote:Gandalf is anything but an ordinary man.
Sorry to be nitpicky here, buy Gandalf was not a "man" in any sense of the word. He was a Maia, and sent with four other "wizards" in "the form of men".

On topic, Gandalf would win hands down provided that both charaters were existent in the first place

EDIT: Ohhh, now I realize that I just repeated what Formendacil said in another thread - you're always one step ahead of me...
Last edited by lemon_squeezer2 on Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

J1A3L5 wrote:Lots of Gandalf's are shown in the movie, but Majisto's are largely unknown
THE Gandalf is NOT derived from the movies. Gandalf is a character from The Lord of the Rings, a BOOK by J.R.R. Tolkien.

While the Gandalf of the movies is VERY accurate, and is probably tied for best-portrayed (tied IN MY OPINION, with Sam and Boromir), he in nonetheless, NOT the Gandalf. (Sorry about the rampage, but reference to the movie as THE source, even by people who have never read the books really irks me. And for what its worth, neither the book nor the movie really outline the FULL extent of what Gandalf could do.)[/quote]

Actually, they irk me too just as much. I've read the books a couple of times, and they are much better than the movies. It's just the movies are more widely known now, and most people who are not huge LOTR fans, including myself, remember more graphic details from the movies than the books. Sorry for using the wrong choice of words if it offends you, but I see no reason for you to freak about it. If you want to get mad at someone, don't waste my time with it.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic post, guys.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I wasn't getting mad. (Or at least, I wasn't mad at the time of writing.) It might be more accurate to say that I was getting irritated (yes, it happens a lot), but I wasn't so much irritated at you, as irritated at Peter Jackson.

Don't get me wrong: his movies are great. I'm staying up all night with our youth group on Wednesday to watch them. But they are not the definitive version, and casual references to is, as if it were, irritate me, even if it wasn't intended. It would be kind of like people referring to Mel Gibson's the Passion whenever they were talking about the death of Jesus, as it it were THE authority. The Passion was even more accurately made, but there would be a furor if it were to become the Authority, excluding its sources.

I, as a crazed Tolkien freak, am the equivalent of all those Christians who would be incensed if the movie superceded the book it was based on.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

lemon_squeezer2 wrote:
doctorsparkles wrote:Gandalf is anything but an ordinary man.
Sorry to be nitpicky here, buy Gandalf was not a "man" in any sense of the word. He was a Maia, and sent with four other "wizards" in "the form of men".
Well, as long as we're being nit-picky, I never said he was a man. I never said he was anything. I simply said what Gandalf isn't and what Majisto is.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess