Weekly Set Review: Magic Shop

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Rubberchickenknight
Squire

Post by Rubberchickenknight »

i believe this was my first set, and i'll give it a 8/10. i have lots of happy memories of playing with it. sadly i lost the wizard hat. but i still have most of the parts, except the scroll is a bit faded from too much playing with(makes it look more mysterious :wink: )
a good set :D
"When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins." - Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
dJOLe_sk8
Artisan

Post by dJOLe_sk8 »

Oh,this is one of two first sets(beside the black monarch's ghost)and I really like it...Not just because of nostalgia...this is a wonderfull set...You have a wizard(I love him but I also think that there is no need for many of this in your collection),the barrel with those precious stones,the goblet(I like when it's non-colored)and a short sword(the brest knights'armor)...There's is a falcon too...and the tree...
I have just counted the all set's parts...and I love them all...
It's really wonderful set...
Greetings from Serbia
AmberStone
Serf

Post by AmberStone »

I got this set off eBay for a good price. I wanted a Wizard and it was easily inserted into my Forestmen sets. I didn't realize the corner pieces were brown, I thought they would be black like the branches. :?

I consider this to be the poor man's version of Majisto's Magical Workshop (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=6048-1)
gormadoc1
Artisan

Re: Weekly Set Review: Magic Shop

Post by gormadoc1 »

Its one of the best set's ever :D , definetley 10/10 simple yet fantastic. So buy it :eyebrows: BUY IT NOW AND EVERY MAJISTO SET YOU CAN :spin:

...gormadoc1
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.
Skalldyr
Peasant

Post by Skalldyr »

Ahhhhh, yea! My first castle set! As a child I had so much fun with it. :D
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/skalldyr/]Flickr[/url] / [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Skalldyr]Brickshelf[/url] / [url=http://mocpages.com/home.php/23539/]Mocpages[/url]
Evil Ben
Freeman

Post by Evil Ben »

This one was in my Dark Age, so I don't have it. It seems to be full of useful pieces, though (not that this is particularly obvious from the set photo). The torso is nice and generic, even if you have no interest in any (more) wizards. There is a limit to how many blue wizard hats I can use - but that's hardly a fair criticism of this set. I also loathe that wand piece, but that's a purely personal thing, and it wouldn't put me off buying the set. Generally I think this is a rather nice small set and was a good addition to the Dragon Knights/Masters/Whatever-they-are line. I'd certainly buy one (or more) if it were re-released tomorrow.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

I was buying Pirates and Soldiers sets when I came out of my Dark Ages, then I encountered this set and the impulse sized Black Knight set. They tipped me over into Castle and a true addiction. This is one of the sweetest small creations in the official LEGO set categories I ever have had the pleasure to build. More impulse items like this are what is needed.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Count Blacktron wrote:I was buying Pirates and Soldiers sets when I came out of my Dark Ages, then I encountered this set and the impulse sized Black Knight set. They tipped me over into Castle and a true addiction. This is one of the sweetest small creations in the official LEGO set categories I ever have had the pleasure to build. More impulse items like this are what is needed.
I second the notion! More of these great impulse sets. The Count is right, this was a great set, though in an increasingly bleak time for Castle. But this one had a great selection of parts, Merlin/Majisto/Palatine/Gandalf and it fit into any castle thing you were building. Nowadays the "extra" parts in such sets are all ballistae-type things or a rock. Charlie Brown gets rocks for Halloween...
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Cryptic^Writings
Serf

Post by Cryptic^Writings »

one of my fav small set ever!
insurrection
Laborer

Re:

Post by insurrection »

Azaghal wrote:
Bruce N H wrote:this set was basically for kids who wanted a wizard but couldn't get the big sets.

Bruce
I was one of those kids. I
So was I! Haha :)

Hard to judge if its out of pure nostalgia or not but I still like the set, and have it on display (as part of a bigger diorama).
Someone wrote it was more of a Forestmen-style building than Dragon Masters and well... I don't relly mind :D
baniaj2
Villein

Post by baniaj2 »

Great set for parts and I liked the compact design. It also allowed me to justify having Majisto work with the forestmen.
Sir Prog
Laborer

Post by Sir Prog »

architect wrote:Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6020 Magic Shop.

Magic Shop was released in 1993 for the Dragon Masters. This tree workshop was for Majisto/Merlin. It contained various magical accessories including a spell scroll and glow in the dark magic wand.

The Magic Shop is quite a hidden gem for me personally. First of all, by the time magicians were introduced into the castle line, my interests were motivated more toward other genres like town and space (oh, those space sets from the 90s were fabulous!). However, I did manage to acquire this small magic shop and I have some unique qualities I'd like to mention.

First of all, the beard piece was one-of-a-kind at the time, as well as the blue minifig wardrobe. Interesting enough, my eyesight was ALWAYS drawn toward figures that had a tiny little pouch on their belt loop. That was always my favorite forestmen figure, and it pouch is replicated (for perhaps potion powder instead of coinage?) with this magician. Also, buyers are treated to a more realistic "woodland" style base, which gives the collection and the set piece stronger playability than say, the tiny cart that accompanied later wizards. Plus, this set was one of the first to include the *cough*Parrot*cough* mono-colored falcon.

Other set pieces of interest include the clear cup, ladder piece, flames, wand, and witchcraft scroll. This was the first set I ever saw with a clear cup [most prior cups bearing a gold/yellow tint]. The ladder piece was still pretty new at the time as well. The flames were completely innovative from what passed as fire before that point so snatching this set up for the new-wave design pieces was worth more than the set's standalone playability. The wand was glow-in-the-dark [following in the spooky footsteps of the previous line's glowing ghost] but still cool. Finally, any soft/flat tablets was always game in my book and I looked forward to each new invention (treasure map, scroll, money, etc.).

Good addition for Lego maniacs that didn't have enough money to buy the large castle sets but still wanted to add a wizard to the collection.

Fig design - 9.0 (for its time great, but could have used a black cape or backpack)
Set design - 9.5
Overall - 9.5
For the King's Castle!
veevers24
Newbie of the Month

Post by veevers24 »

To be honest, I never saw why people liked Majisto - he would have looked better in black

The set is ok though 6/10
dyntar
Foot Soldier

Post by dyntar »

This one one of the last sets I bought before my dark ages.
I always displayed this one with the forest men set and created a mini forest around it. This sort of made the wizard more of a hermit or wise man who could be used by any faction.

It has a great selection of parts which were new to the theme at the time.. beards, wizard hat, wand, magic scroll, flame pieces and different coloured birds.
Not an action filled set but great for filling out a castle scene.