Lego Ironclads

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!

Would you like to see lego Ironclads?

Yes, as part of a steampunk theme.
25%
Yes, as part of a pirate-esque theme
19%
Yes, just give me ironclads! I don't care how
19%
Meh
No votes
No thank you. Spend the design effort on other things.
38%

Total votes: 16

timber_wolf899
Merchant

Lego Ironclads

Post by timber_wolf899 »

Dear Lego;

Though i am a castle head, it was the pirate ship which first sparked my lego hobby. The latest imperial flagship is fantastic!

What I would like to see moving forward is an ironclad ship of the line. A broadside ironclad like those fielded by the French in the 1860 is what I am thinking of. This could be made part of a pirate theme or as part of a steam punk theme.

One could even extend the concept to land battleships for a steam punk line.
thanks
Frank

EDIT here is the poll. Good suggestion!
Last edited by timber_wolf899 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Domino Gloria!
Napoleon
Archer

Re: Lego Ironclads

Post by Napoleon »

Right on, brother! Steampunk is a wonderful genre. Not two months ago, I made a Bavarian PT boat and wanted to make a Japanese iron-clad to go along with it, but was unable to. I would make a poll if I where you, because if LEGO saw a bunch of people clicking "Yes, I want Ironclads!" they might make our dreams a reality. :woo: Although, I sadly doubt that LEGO would ever make a Steampunk line with real countries (think: LEGO pickelhaubes, kepis, etc), they would probably make it really sci-fi and wierd. I would hope it rather be like this guy's creations: http://empireofsteam.blogspot.com/2009/ ... ulcan.html

I would also enjoy sets of Austrian and Prussian Steampunk blimps. :eyebrows:

Of course, I would also love to see American Civil War sets of the Merrimac and the Monitor, but good luck with that! :?
"There are two powers in this world, the sword and the pen; and in the end the former is always conquered by the latter"- Napoleon Bonaparte

[url=http://z7.invisionfree.com/Teen_LEGO_Fans/index.php?]TeenLEGOFans.com![/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/55680977@N04/]My Flickr![/url]
Rick-Ricks
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: Lego Ironclads

Post by Rick-Ricks »

Even though I build steampunk often, I do not think that lego should create a steampunk line. There's just too much blurring of what steampunk actually is, (I even agree with some people about what steampunk is.) and I don't think it would meet fan expectations, nor do I think that lego's target audience would enjoy it.

More on topic, I think something like this would be nice in a more historical setting.
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Re: Steampunk

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

Today I was quite surprised to stumble across the fact that Lego actually did have a steampunk line at one time. Apparently in 1996, they tried out a series of sets under the name of either "Time Cruisers" per Bricklink, or "Time Twisters" per Peeron. Set #6495 is a good example of the type of sets in this series. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say that the series might not have been successful because the sets looked like the hodgepodge of bricks you might find in the bottom of every 8-year-old's toybox. Ironically, it seems Lego may have been ahead of its time!

And then, of course, there was also the whole Adventurer's line which had a fairly blatant steampunk feel about it.