what do you think

Discussion of photography, editing and publishing techniques
LONGBOW
Peasant

what do you think

Post by LONGBOW »

I am making slow progress on the first Ainunor book so does anyone where I can find some steroids?(high :arrow: :P )

no only kidding,but does anyone know if it's a good idea to publish it or sell it written down on pieces of paper stapled together that costs a certain amount of colored paper(that's the cost from a hitchhikers guide perspective)
what do you think? official and expensive or black market cheap moneymaking
ham jam spamalot
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Maybe this belongs in the publishing area? Not too sure...
Perhaps it would be better to get it officially published. I think people would be more likely to purchase a book that looks nice and has been edited professionally... at least I would be more likely to. If a book has been published, that tells us that somebody read the book and liked it enough to distribute it. If you release it yourself, all we know is that you, the author, think that your own work is good enough for other people to read. Not only that, but if you actually have it published and sold, it will be available to far more people than if you were to sell it yourself.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Dunno if this belongs in this forum, but anyways....

Self-publishing (paying other people to publish) is NOT recommended. You will very, very rarely make enough sales to meet your costs, and you have to do ALL the work.

As for finding a publisher, and selling your work (which is what almost all authors have done), if its good enough, they'll buy it.

If it's REALLY good enough, you can live off the profits.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Formendacil has the gist of it. Essentially write your story, have it edited from grammar, spelling continuity etc... then submit it typewritten and bound to some publishing companies.

If it is a book with graphics, spend the money and have your pages with images printed at a Staples/Kinkos type place. I would recommend only printing color pages at a retail outlet. Print the rest yourself and then have the retail outlet bound the manuscript. Personal printing can cost you 100's of $$$ with little or no return. You could probably print off color pages and have your manuscript bound for about $15.00 each depending how many color pages you have. No color pages should run you less than $3.00 each to have bound. Once it is finished and looking professional, then you could shop it around to publishers.

Aside from that, good luck and this topic belongs in Publishing not stories. Perhaps an ever so helpful Admin could move it. :D

Will

Edit Would you look at that, they did move it. Isn't that special. :wink:
Last edited by wlister on Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

There are several books on Amazon written about getting published--try one of them.

Also, you may have better luck by getting an agent. That's usually done by submitting a treatment of a chapter or two to the agent rather than the whole book.

Be VERY careful about following manuscript guidelines meticulously. Most submissions are double-spaced in a fixed-width font with specific header & footer requirements. Many editors will summarily dismiss anything that's not properly formatted without even glancing at the content!

Good luck!
Carl
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

Trying to be a J.R.R tolkien I see ;)

:p

LR
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Can't help you but good luck. Will we ever see this book? :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.