fantasy set sales question

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
legokilt
Bailiff

Re: fantasy set sales question

Post by legokilt »

I really liked the fantasy sets. Having always liked dragons, I think having such positionable dragons is great, as it adds another dimension to the MOC's we build. Personally since there is a baby green dragon in the wizard impulse set I hope TLG comes out with another large green dragon. I really liked how the green dragon from the Orc Warship was different from the other two released in the fantasy line.
Lego helps make history fun!
domboy
Freeman

Post by domboy »

legokilt wrote:I really liked the fantasy sets. Having always liked dragons, I think having such positionable dragons is great, as it adds another dimension to the MOC's we build. Personally since there is a baby green dragon in the wizard impulse set I hope TLG comes out with another large green dragon. I really liked how the green dragon from the Orc Warship was different from the other two released in the fantasy line.
Yup! I wasn't originally going to buy the Warship (I like the skeletons more than the Orcs/Trolls), but I decided I had to have all three dragons... I love them!! The fantasy line along with the new pirates was what got interested in Lego again. I doubt KK2 or or the new Kingdoms line would have done the same.
karl
Freeman

Post by karl »

domboy wrote:
legokilt wrote:I really liked the fantasy sets. Having always liked dragons, I think having such positionable dragons is great, as it adds another dimension to the MOC's we build. Personally since there is a baby green dragon in the wizard impulse set I hope TLG comes out with another large green dragon. I really liked how the green dragon from the Orc Warship was different from the other two released in the fantasy line.
Yup! I wasn't originally going to buy the Warship (I like the skeletons more than the Orcs/Trolls), but I decided I had to have all three dragons... I love them!! The fantasy line along with the new pirates was what got interested in Lego again. I doubt KK2 or or the new Kingdoms line would have done the same.

I agree, if it wasn't for the fantasy orcs and dwarves I wouldn't have gotten back into Lego either. Now that they hooked me I'm doing starwars and space police
troll
Laborer

Post by troll »

i wish that the kingdoms went under fantasy era, and that elves and new forestmen and more things came to make a GREAT faction :o EPIC!
Look! it's a troll, it's a funny troll! ---> :orc:

"When nothing goes right, go left"
quaraga
Total n00b
Total n00b
Location: roflysst (rolling on the floor laughing, yet still somehow typing)

Post by quaraga »

oh no don't get me started on those dragons! all the problems of classic castle dragons and all the problems with viking dragons but none of the good about either. That was my only real problem with castle oh and the 90 degree angle troll arms (on the big dudes).
He who thinks you should look at the box that says "Quaraga" if you want to find out his username (about as useful to you as his real name). he only wants you to look so he can laugh about you looking there because he's a total smart...
Storm
Villein

Post by Storm »

My opinion:
Human>Skeleton
Orc/Dwarf>Human
Elf/Dragon>Orc/Dwarf
Also, LEGO should do more fantasy.
I'm Storm, and you've just read my post.
A kind word and a gun will get you farther than a kind word alone -Al Capone
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Hmmmm.... While TLC does not usually release the figures we can get a good idea from their end of the year review. If I remember correctly For 2007 at least Castle was the 4th or 5th top selling line. Not sure what that is in Dollars, Pounds or Yen but my guess is it is good.

We have had people who are involved with the planning of these theme lines say that three years is somewhat an average lifespan so I do not think it went away for any other reason.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

quaraga wrote:oh no don't get me started on those dragons! all the problems of classic castle dragons
... What? What problems? The general problems I've heard about the classic dragons were that they weren't poseable (which is fixed in the newer dragons), and that they weren't big enough (fixed in the newer dragons). To which problems are you referring?
quaraga wrote:and all the problems with viking dragons
The problems I've mostly heard regarding the viking dragons were that they were too mechanical, and not organic looking. ... Which is fixed in the fantasy dragons.

I'm afraid you've lost me.

My problem with the fantasy dragons was that they were a little too organic (not quite LEGO-y enough), and the flames for their mouths made them look silly. I suppose I could add that it'd be nice to see some additional joints (like folding wings), but that's not all that bad. I suppose they also look a little more cartoony-evil, rather than iconic like the old classic dragons.

Anyway, I really don't understand what you're talking about if you're saying that they suffered the same problems as the viking dragons and the classic dragons. As near as I can tell, they fixed ALL the problems of both, but introduced new problems all their own. But all in all, I found them to be probably the best dragons that LEGO's offered to date.

DaveE
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

quaraga wrote:oh no don't get me started on those dragons! all the problems of classic castle dragons and all the problems with viking dragons but none of the good about either.
I'm afraid I don't follow this either. One of the problems with Viking dragons was their Bioniclish nature. The newer ones don't have that. The problem with classic dragons was lack of posability, which the newer ones don't have. I think you need to be more specific.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
quaraga
Total n00b
Total n00b
Location: roflysst (rolling on the floor laughing, yet still somehow typing)

Post by quaraga »

they're poseable but not poseable enough to be worth it. also they look to much like dinosaurs.
He who thinks you should look at the box that says "Quaraga" if you want to find out his username (about as useful to you as his real name). he only wants you to look so he can laugh about you looking there because he's a total smart...
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

quaraga wrote:they're poseable but not poseable enough to be worth it. also they look to much like dinosaurs.
Okay. Thanks for the clarification. I don't agree with you, but that's part of the funny of the hobby.

Take care,
Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Tycho McKorley
Artisan

Post by Tycho McKorley »

I actually kind of liked the Bionicle-ishness of the Vikings dragons because I thought it made them look more skeletal and otherworldly. That's just my opinion though.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Tycho123]My Brickshelf Folder[/url]