1967 Lego Idea Book Yellow Castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

1967 Lego Idea Book Yellow Castle

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

http://www.peeron.com/scans/240-1/9

I was just browsing Peeron, and came across this image of a yellow castle with red details in their 1967 idea book. I find it curious that this color scheme is nearly the same as the yellow castle introduced a decade later with minifigures.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Re: 1967 Lego Idea Book Yellow Castle

Post by architect »

It is interesting but likely a coincidence. The 375 Castle was originally designed in light grey and not yellow. Godtfred did not like the fact that children (or LEGO product designers) could build army tanks out of so many basic grey bricks. This is why the color was changed to yellow.

Ben
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

*GASP* There are camels in that image too; they must have known they'd do a Prince of Persia product line too! Nah, I'm just messing FLW. I'd tend to agree with Architect in that it's just a happy coincidence. Back in those days they didn't exactly have the same colour palette to pull from either. For example, check out the palm trees with yellow trunks and blue fronds. :o
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

architect wrote: The 375 Castle was originally designed in light grey and not yellow. Godtfred did not like the fact that children (or LEGO product designers) could build army tanks out of so many basic grey bricks.
That's interesting -- I never knew that. Where did you ever manage to find that historical tidbit? Regardless of the color, I just thought it was cool to find a castle item from such a relatively early date.
Papy.G
Laborer

Post by Papy.G »

I know these days there were much more basic bricks, but where the Megablocks could somebody get this many yellow macaronies, or, red 2x1 45deg rooftops, for example?
Or was it more like a designer demonstration. Children could see it and just think they would never have enough parts to achieve this.
"I got to brick free!" Freddie Mercury
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PapyG]My Brickshelf[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Frank_Lloyd_Knight wrote:That's interesting -- I never knew that. Where did you ever manage to find that historical tidbit? Regardless of the color, I just thought it was cool to find a castle item from such a relatively early date.
Originally I heard it from LEGO designers in Billund in 2006. But recently this information was published in an article about the development of the LEGO Castle line in BrickJournal.

I agree that early castle models are interesting. There are more which can be found in other vintage LEGO catalogs.

Ben
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Papy.G wrote:I know these days there were much more basic bricks, but where the Megablocks could somebody get this many yellow macaronies, or, red 2x1 45deg rooftops, for example?
Even without BrickLink it was (kind of) possible to get all the parts you needed – if you were rich enough. Toy stores had little boxes with elements in different shapes and colours, such as this: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/224_6

Or was it more like a designer demonstration. Children could see it and just think they would never have enough parts to achieve this.
Hehe, you are right. Those Idea Books were ever so cruel! I guess nobody ever had enough bricks to make all the buildings pictured in the book. Not even remotely as many bricks. Even now, after several years of collecting, I wouldn't be able to build every model. Certainly not that yellow castle, due to lack of yellow maccaroni bricks.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
veevers24
Newbie of the Month

Post by veevers24 »

Wow, never seen that before

those idea books lego used to do are ace - they should do more
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

I never saw these before thanks for sharing
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Those pictures are classic. Although I wasn't alive in 1967, I did have sets in the early seventies that were all bricks, no minifigs. The block figures are interesting to look at, being now so used to minifigs and how they impacted set design. I love looking at older catalogs and idea books, it brings me back to being a kid.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!