Unicorn

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
jdarlack
Freeman

Re: Unicorn

Post by jdarlack »

Nicely done. Funny. I did this exact same thing last week, but my wife was away on vacation, so I didn't have a camera to post pics!

I too used smaller drill bits and worked my way up to 1/8", and I 'erased' the bridle on the horse. To do the erasing, I used an eraser refill for a mechanical pencil and mounted it like a drill bit in a cordless drill. I need to get me one of those Dremel thingies. I had one when I was a kid, and I might need to get a new one.

Great minds think alike.
Jim Darlack
jdarlack
Freeman

Post by jdarlack »

I forgot to mention. It looks like Rocko did something like this a while back with a 'custom' horn.

Jim Darlack
Forestboy
Steward

Post by Forestboy »

Quickblade22 wrote:Thanks for the comments :) For this mod, there was no real purpose to take the horse apart other than to show it can be done. I used a 4.8V cordless Dremel ($20 at Walmart). To make it look ad clean as it does, I used a smaller drill bit to start (3/64 bit), then moved my way up to 5/64 and 7/64 until I got the final size of 1/8. As for snugness, it fits perfectly. The viking horn works as well, but due to it being a harder plastic, it it more difficult to remove. I am contemplating trying a black one, but if the nail polish remover discolors the black, I might just end up with a spotted horse :wink: I currently don't have enough unicorn horns to consider selling any at this time.
Thanks for the reply! Once again, great job!

~FB~
[url=http://mosaicbricks.blogspot.com/]MosaicBricks[/url]-[url=http://mocpages.com/home.php/12945]Mocpages[/url]-[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kcrmccoy/]Flickr[/url]-[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=kcrmccoy/]Brickshelf[/url]-
---
[url=http://www.classic-castle.com/howto/article ... rands.html]Want your wizards to shoot out huge shots of fire? Learn the Fire Strand technique! (Click the link)[/url]
Seikfreid
Journeyman

Post by Seikfreid »

footsteps wrote:Nice simple work, though I'm not familiar with the horn piece.
The horn piece comes from several of the new Kingdoms line sets. It's mounted on the new horse head armor plates.
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

You're right -- this was begging to be done. And it looks a much simpler job than what many have done to create centaurs. Would love to see this in a MOC. Ever read Neil Gaiman's "Stardust"?
pijani
Artisan

Post by pijani »

it almost looks as it is not custom made :) bravo ;)
Thor
Foot Soldier

Post by Thor »

Nice work Quickblade, you have inspired me. Where does one get this Brasso stuff? I need to do some Torsos as well, Home Depot?
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

I forgot to mention. It looks like Rocko did something like this a while back with a 'custom' horn
Cool, I had not seen Rocko's before.
Ever read Neil Gaiman's "Stardust"?
Nope.
it almost looks as it is not custom made :) bravo ;)
Nice work Quickblade, you have inspired me. Where does one get this Brasso stuff? I need to do some Torsos as well, Home Depot?
Thanks. Home Depot, Wal-mart, and Lowe's should carry Brasso.

I will be trying my hand at a black one soon, but lack Brasso myself.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Kosh
Foot Soldier

Post by Kosh »

Quickblade22 wrote:
Thanks. Home Depot, Wal-mart, and Lowe's should carry Brasso.

I will be trying my hand at a black one soon, but lack Brasso myself.
Many if not most grocery stores are likely to have Brasso as well, it'd be near the Comet or Ajax scouring powders in the cleaning supplies area.
Build? I merely Acquire atm.
SevFalcon
Laborer

Post by SevFalcon »

Nicely done. Looks like an official Lego product. The horn looks a bit weird on the new Kingdoms horses - this seems like a better use.... :)