I understand why the Skeleton Ship is soo expensive

Buying, Selling, or Trading LEGO or Castle related items
medib
Bailiff

I understand why the Skeleton Ship is soo expensive

Post by medib »

I was trying to find this set at a "reasonable" price now adays to no avail. Both Bricklink and Ebay have few of these at such insane prices...
almost as pricey as the market street.... but I digress.

I then decided maybe it might be cheaper to just put together the ship and set with pieces individually.... that might be smart, except the
sale piece alone for this set can be bought for the price of $40 US... just for the bloody sail.

Isnt that half the price for the entire set brand new at full retail price.

The economics of the brick these days...
no wonder why there are no clearances at shop@home and why Lego is again making profits........

:roll:

Ben
nanuck95
Court jester

Re: I understand why the Skeleton Ship is soo expensive

Post by nanuck95 »

The skeleton ship attack was a pretty limited release, and a TRU exclusive too I think. I think it was on the shelves maybe a year, and then discontinued. Unfortunately I missed that one as well and it's the only crownie set I wasn't able to get.
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

I was trying to find this set at a "reasonable" price now adays to no avail. Both Bricklink and Ebay have few of these at such insane prices...
almost as pricey as the market street.... but I digress.

I then decided maybe it might be cheaper to just put together the ship and set with pieces individually.... that might be smart, except the
sale piece alone for this set can be bought for the price of $40 US... just for the bloody sail.

Isnt that half the price for the entire set brand new at full retail price.

The economics of the brick these days...
no wonder why there are no clearances at shop@home and why Lego is again making profits........
LEGO is a limited release collectible. Sets do not exist for an extended time frame. I don't know how much you know or understand the collectible market, but the reality is...you pay for what you want. If you want something after it is out of production...you are going to pay and sometimes pay BIG bucks. This is a fact, whether it is for LEGO or dolls or collectible games or whatever. As long as it is limited...it shoots up in price. Currently LEGO is selling at a NICE profit.

Now while on one hand I can appreciate that you are dismayed by this, because well we are all LEGO fans and who wants to pay a ton for their sets? BUT on the other hand, I am someone who is using LEGO profits to further my hobby. There are many of us out there...who purchase to sell for a profit later so we can buy more or go to cons. It is just as much of being an AFOL as building is. Some people trade instead of sell, but it is still the same idea. While you do not do this or understand why others do, you could try and understand instead of complaining about it.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

I understand your concerns with expensive secondary market Lego, but I must admit, that I do not really think it applies in this instance. I just looked at eBay, and a 100% complete 7029 Skeleton Ship just sold for $102, which is only a ~25% markup over original retail. That's not that much. Older Lego sets frequently go for 100-200% markup over original retail. In addition, while the sale piece is expensive, most of the other pieces in the set are not, including--surprisingly--even the other exclusive pieces, like the hulls, which are only a few dollars apiece.

Cm2
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/porschecm ... onal.1.png[/img]
Think twice. Post once.
Constructum excellentia!
karl
Freeman

Post by karl »

I have the Hull, mid section and mast. I am not into ships so if you want to pay for shipping I would happily give them to you for free.
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

karl wrote:I have the Hull, mid section and mast. I am not into ships so if you want to pay for shipping I would happily give them to you for free.
That is a wonderfully generous offer. :) If Ben is not interested in taking you up on that, and you are still willing, I would happily pay for shipping to acquire these parts.

Cm2
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/porschecm ... onal.1.png[/img]
Think twice. Post once.
Constructum excellentia!
vince5754
Serf

Post by vince5754 »

hey i have that set! its not in mint condition but i have like all the pieces for ship loads of sails and the cannons and pyrates i just really need some large mega bloks green sand or stone base plates...all trade it for 2 or 3 (if i could get at least 1 green large that would be vary good)oh and if you could help with shiping that would be great :wink:
vince5754
Serf

Post by vince5754 »

um...i am no longer giving the offer to trade the ship i have all ready found a good deal for the base plates...wish me luck with the movie ok? :tasty: :roflol: