Bullet Helms and REAL Bows please.

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
SPACE MARINE
Apprentice

Bullet Helms and REAL Bows please.

Post by SPACE MARINE »

Lego, please bring back the bullet helm, along with the real bows, my minifigs are complaining about the lack of bullet helms and the load time of crossbows. I know you abandoned that because the chinstrap was kinda thin, but that can change. My archers are :cry: ing.
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good- Rom. 12:21

Little Bricks, BIG dreams
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Re: Bullet Helms and REAL Bows please.

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Although I like crossbows, more bows would be nice. Perhaps a balance, say, for each crossbow equiped figure there could be a bow equiped figure as well.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

The crossbow should take a several year hiatus. Archers and bullet helms would be a good addition to future castle sets. Each tower in a castle should have an archer.

Ben
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

SPACE MARINE wrote:I know you abandoned that because the chinstrap was kinda thin,
Is that true? I've had the old style motorcycle helmets break on the chinstrap, but I've never had the bullet helm chinstraps break, or the new motorcycle helmet chinstraps. Last time it was used was what, 2002?

Oddly enough, I've broken more flare helmets (the nose guards), and those have been in use from 1978-2010 without any change that I'm aware of!

DaveE
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

This is news to me but maybe it's time for the LEGO pope to ban the crossbow again.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

Ye Olde Republic wrote:This is news to me but maybe it's time for the LEGO pope to ban the crossbow again.
I totally concur with this statement.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
Redav
Artisan

Post by Redav »

davee123 wrote:Is that true? I've had the old style motorcycle helmets break on the chinstrap, but I've never had the bullet helm chinstraps break,
I have had many. They split through the middle.
davee123 wrote:Oddly enough, I've broken more flare helmets (the nose guards), and those have been in use from 1978-2010 without any change that I'm aware of!
Had a couple of those occur too.
Team Jesus

[url=http://www.brickset.com/search/?ownedBy=redav]My Brickset List[/url]
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/redavthe1st/]My Flickr Photostream[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I do not see why TLC could nto simply keep both in use. If they did not want to have one faction using both then have the rival factions armed differently, one with bows, the other crossbows. I agree it is time for the return of the bow.

Heir of BF
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
SPACE MARINE
Apprentice

Post by SPACE MARINE »

Yes, diversity is welcome, I would probably use the crossbow with a more advanced factions, with less noble intent, and semi sentient swarms. Like a skeleton a hivemind that broke free of the Necromancer, and is now kept alive by a magical Elven Sword.

The bullet helms and bows are a must though.

Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

Hmmm....just noticed this today. Maybe bows are on their way back, but with a slightly different design. Here is the original:

And here is the one with the new Elf minifig in the pic provided by Heir of Black Falcon.
Link

If all else fails, I know a certain customizer that has 2 different versions available..... just saying :wink:
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

Quickblade22 wrote:Hmmm....just noticed this today. Maybe bows are on their way back, but with a slightly different design.
I believe the Chinese facilities have their own versions of molds that are different than the "standard" ones. So if we see bows coming out in normal sets, they'll probably be just like they always were. But if we see bows coming out in Chinese sets (minifigs, magnets, collector sets, etc), then we might very well see the new design.

IIRC, that's true for a few of the elements, such as minifig arms (Chinese version has square indent) and pistols (gun sight is larger, I think?). So I'm thinking this is just another instance where they've just done their own new mold in China, and not bothered to make sure it matches the old one.

DaveE
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

Quickblade22 wrote:Hmmm....just noticed this today. Maybe bows are on their way back, but with a slightly different design. Here is the original:

And here is the one with the new Elf minifig in the pic provided by Heir of Black Falcon.
Link

If all else fails, I know a certain customizer that has 2 different versions available..... just saying :wink:
The image of the bow you've posted actually looks like the one produced with the Robin Hood figure from the Series 1 collectible minifigures. It's slightly different from the old castle bows. The easiest way to tell is that the bowstring is drawn at a slightly more accute angle in the new Robin Hood bow, than it is in the older bows. But the last time I checked, Bricklink was treating them as if they were the same bow. So in addition to the elf bow, it looks like a total of three versions as far as I can tell. (The old bow I'm using for reference came from set#6022.)
SPACE MARINE
Apprentice

Post by SPACE MARINE »

I actually prefer the elf-bow over the normal Lego bow, as the normal Lego bow is a short-bow. I hope if the bow returns, it will be the elven bow. The elven bow is more like a longbow. Although, I did find a good way to make non cut longbows for dwarves without the drawstring. It's as simple as using those bull horns the bull men had, especially considering that in most fantasies, dwarves make their bows of horn because they are too strong for wood.

@Quickblade: Yes, I knew about BF and loved their products, I'm even a forums member, but that would still keep new KFOLs away from the experience of arming minifigs with bows, as most do not know about BF, and most of those who do know have parents who think it's a rip-off in one form or another.

Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

I believe the Chinese facilities have their own versions of molds that are different than the "standard" ones. So if we see bows coming out in normal sets, they'll probably be just like they always were. But if we see bows coming out in Chinese sets (minifigs, magnets, collector sets, etc), then we might very well see the new design.
My speculation was in reference to hearing about molds becoming old and replaced rather than where they are produced.
The image of the bow you've posted actually looks like the one produced with the Robin Hood figure from the Series 1 collectible minifigures.
I don't own that figure, so it wasn't at the top of my mind.
@Quickblade: Yes, I knew about BF and loved their products, I'm even a forums member, but that would still keep new KFOLs away from the experience of arming minifigs with bows, as most do not know about BF, and most of those who do know have parents who think it's a rip-off in one form or another.
My comment was directed toward the CC community. Hobbies aren't free, but I'd say $1 for a choice of 2 bows in over 12 different colors in hardly a rip off :wink:
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
SPACE MARINE
Apprentice

Post by SPACE MARINE »

I know sad to see that whenever I show some target aged kids a picture of an archer, they point at the bow and ask me what in the world it is. I personally do not find BF to be a rip-off, I enjoy customizing, but I don't want to leave puritans in the dust for new bows. I would love the return of the bullet helm as much as the bow. Bullet helms are really good looking and they would go excellently in dark pearl gray on the new era dragons. It would really fit the dragons well, as they seem less advanced, and more siege oriented. The bows and bullet helms would fit their siege tactics as bows were used to fire flaming arrows.