Bullet Helms and REAL Bows please.

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
SevFalcon
Laborer

Re: Bullet Helms and REAL Bows please.

Post by SevFalcon »

I would love to see the return of the bullet helms in the metallic silver and metallic dark grey colors to fit in with the current Kingdom/Castle line.... :)
Velliscig
Artisan

Post by Velliscig »

Ah, bullet helms. Can never find enough of them on BL. Metallics would be nice, but I'd rather they return in a pearl gray or such, so the paint doesn't wear off. Longbows would require bullet helms; minifigs would probably find themselves drawing their strings and getting them "caught" in their neck-guard helms. :?

Look at the bright side of crossbows; they pack more power and represent wealth.
Baron Greenbriar
Villein

Post by Baron Greenbriar »

Velliscig wrote:Ah, bullet helms. Can never find enough of them on BL.

Look at the bright side of crossbows; they pack more power and represent wealth.
Bullet helms are a favorite of mine too. The problem is they are hard to find as you stated. They off course go on archers but also look good on halberds and guards. Crossbows are nice because they are easy to find :wink: But I like regular (long) bows better. They aren't as aesthetically pleasing but good old fashion archers who need skill not a trigger to launch their projectiles are a welcome addition to any Lego castle.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Only in part. They do have more power and are usually more expensive but that is not really the prime reason why they were the main personal missile weapon for most of medieval Europe.

The major issue with bows is that to be effective in war they need to have a cultural change. Almost all of Europe employed the crossbow in the high and late medieval period simply because of this. The archery culture required can be seen especially in the eastern european states, the Ottomans and in many nomandic groups for example. The Ottomans were using bows until well into the 19th century, though it had been some hundred or so years since they were effective against the Europeans. In England the bow had been in use, even for war, for some time but it took Edward I and especially his Grandson Edward III to really get it moving. Sadly for England it was hard to keep everyone at the archery butts and sadly it died out during the 16th and 17th century to all but a few. There are some very interesting stories of bands of archers during the English Civil War in the mid 17th century.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Baron Greenbriar
Villein

Post by Baron Greenbriar »

Thanks Heir. Never knew that. I love learning new historical facts. The bow had a good run :wink:
SPACE MARINE
Apprentice

Post by SPACE MARINE »

Also, crossbowmen were easier to train. That still doesn't keep us from wanting archers.

@Vellscig: Th paint on metallic helms may chip off, but the metallic silver ones, when the paint chips off, it is new light grey (light bley) underneath.
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good- Rom. 12:21

Little Bricks, BIG dreams
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Greenbrier,

No problem, glad to have been of some help. I love history as well, especially the ancient and medieval periods.

Space Marine,

Right. That is why the cultural support of archery is important. Without support in terms of free time from working for their food to grow and harvest etc. they would lack the time to practice. The crossbow in part required less time so less of a demand on other parts of society. Though it should be noted that much of Europe had crossbow guilds showing up in the 14th and 15th so people did train and become well trained with them.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by J_MAN »

Frank_Lloyd_Knight wrote:
Quickblade22 wrote:Hmmm....just noticed this today. Maybe bows are on their way back, but with a slightly different design. Here is the original:

And here is the one with the new Elf minifig in the pic provided by Heir of Black Falcon.
Link

If all else fails, I know a certain customizer that has 2 different versions available..... just saying :wink:
The image of the bow you've posted actually looks like the one produced with the Robin Hood figure from the Series 1 collectible minifigures. It's slightly different from the old castle bows. The easiest way to tell is that the bowstring is drawn at a slightly more accute angle in the new Robin Hood bow, than it is in the older bows. But the last time I checked, Bricklink was treating them as if they were the same bow. So in addition to the elf bow, it looks like a total of three versions as far as I can tell. (The old bow I'm using for reference came from set#6022.)
The bow the elf has looks like a longbow as apposed to the old ones which look like short-bows.
SPACE MARINE
Apprentice

Post by SPACE MARINE »

Heir of Black Falcon wrote:Greenbrier,

No problem, glad to have been of some help. I love history as well, especially the ancient and medieval periods.

Space Marine,

Right. That is why the cultural support of archery is important. Without support in terms of free time from working for their food to grow and harvest etc. they would lack the time to practice. The crossbow in part required less time so less of a demand on other parts of society. Though it should be noted that much of Europe had crossbow guilds showing up in the 14th and 15th so people did train and become well trained with them.

Heir
Yeah, that's why soccer was illegal in Britain, the king wanted men to practice archery.

Anyway, I like the idea of the new bows being long-bows, when I was a little kid I wanted the fort Legoredo or whatever legend, but I got the Indian village legend instead when Christmas came around, so I'm all set for short-bows for my cavalry archers. Although, as long as the European factories that make sets start churning out bows again, I'm happy though. Who cares bout' Klondike bars, what would you do for a Lego bow?
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good- Rom. 12:21

Little Bricks, BIG dreams
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by J_MAN »

SPACE MARINE wrote:
Yeah, that's why soccer was illegal in Britain, the king wanted men to practice archery.
Your joking!
theboywarrior
Steward

Post by theboywarrior »

:lol: for some reason this is funny to me
i love the old bows, wasn't the last castle set to have them the Fantasy Era King's Castle Seige? that was a nice set, if a tiny teeny bit juniorized. :mad: i have literally one old bow and one bullet helm, and i put the bow on my one of two :cry: forestmen Fletcher, and my bullet helm one one of my three :cry: Black Falcons. what I would love is a set tht brings back a ton of old elements like bows, bullet helms, old plumes, and roundshields. :twitch: and yes, i know about Bricklink and Minifigures
Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven’t seen the back of us yet
We’ll fight as long as we live

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen2.bmp[/img]
theboywarrior
Steward

Post by theboywarrior »

Who cares bout' Klondike bars, what would you do for a Lego bow?[/quote]

kill a bunny, lick a duck, bite a wax tadpole, and laugh at my sister's bad jokes :D

wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

theboywarrior wrote:i love the old bows, wasn't the last castle set to have them the Fantasy Era King's Castle Seige?
No, after that they have appeared several times, including in a 2011 Ninjago set.
theboywarrior
Steward

Post by theboywarrior »

wobnam wrote:
theboywarrior wrote:i love the old bows, wasn't the last castle set to have them the Fantasy Era King's Castle Seige?
No, after that they have appeared several times, including in a 2011 Ninjago set.
I was kinda talking about Castle, not Ninjago, but thanks for reminding me, i had forgotten that set :D

wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

Oops, guess I read your post too fast :p