CCC VIII - Viking Village

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

CCC VIII - Viking Village

Post by davee123 »

Here's a Viking Village I built recently for KidsFest 2010. I didn't really expect to build it for CCC VIII, so it's gotta go into the "Misc" category (especially since it's 64x80). Anyway, enjoy!

DaveE
Skalldyr
Peasant

Re: CCC VIII - Viking Village

Post by Skalldyr »

Oh my goodness, that is just fantastic! The roofs and the trees are awesome, not to mention the many details in the village and the countryside!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/skalldyr/]Flickr[/url] / [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Skalldyr]Brickshelf[/url] / [url=http://mocpages.com/home.php/23539/]Mocpages[/url]
Blego7
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Blego7 »

The rooves are the best design I've seen in a long time! Great idea on those. You have an enviable amount of dark tan;) The layout of the village is also really nice because it allows you to view the separate details while still looking at the entire build. Beautiful MOC here.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I have to say the roof creation works very, very well for thatched roofing. I like the scene very well. It really looks great with all the activitites going on like tanning the leather, drying the fish and such.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Unitronus
Villein

Post by Unitronus »

Aww... This looks sweet! I love the way you made the houses and viking life.

Vikings are my thing.
Throndor
Freeman
Location: Wherever it is they haul off the criminally insane to.

Post by Throndor »

Wow, that's awesome! I love the ship, and the houses are great. Fantastic job!
If I were to make something out of LEGOs, I would probably use LEGOs. Pretty advanced stuff going on up in my head.
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

Blego7 wrote:You have an enviable amount of dark tan;)
All I have to say is: LUGBULK!

When we visited Plimoth Plantation, someone commented that they didn't envy the task of coming up with a way of doing thatched roofs in LEGO. And in reviewing my pictures, the colors were really more like gray and dark tan rather than tan, yellow, and brown, which have been what I've typically seen in models before.

Unfortunately, using gray in LEGO sorta gives the impression of stone, so I immediately started analyzing my woefully small collection of dark tan. The color works SO well (I made one house with a pure dark tan roof, and it looked like an excellent match), but it's so new that I didn't have very much. But thankfully, LUGBULK came to the rescue! And what's more, we've got 1x2 plates, 1x1 plates, and 1x2 tiles in dark tan, which allows you to build most basic structures. But there's still a sea of unexplored parts that I'm yearning for in dark tan!

DaveE
Karrde
Bailiff

Post by Karrde »

davee123 wrote:Unfortunately, using gray in LEGO sorta gives the impression of stone, so I immediately started analyzing my woefully small collection of dark tan. The color works SO well (I made one house with a pure dark tan roof, and it looked like an excellent match), but it's so new that I didn't have very much. But thankfully, LUGBULK came to the rescue! And what's more, we've got 1x2 plates, 1x1 plates, and 1x2 tiles in dark tan, which allows you to build most basic structures. But there's still a sea of unexplored parts that I'm yearning for in dark tan!
Dark tan is my preferred option for thatch and I have a WIP model that uses something similar to the technique you have used here that should be finished in a couple of days. Your technique certainly works fantastically here though; the way you have mottled the two shades of tan is incredibly well done. It's always lovely to see a viking creation - this is one of the nicest I've seen!
Forestman Jon
Laborer
Location: Somewhere in all existance, maybe in the old hermit's hut having tea.

Post by Forestman Jon »

Amazing! Especially the roofs! If you don't mind, I might have to use that idea somewhere. :wink:
-Morgan

And so he slipped into the forest, vanishing without a trace, leaving his pursuers lost without ideas, while he went to finish his MOC's.

Here's where they are:
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... estman-Jon]Brickshelf[/url]
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/58909]MOCpages[/url]
Blego7
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Blego7 »

Thank you for the response!
Dark tan is by far my favorite color due to its infinite uses in castle themes. LUGbulk is such a great idea but unfortunately the lack of a LUG in my area makes that rather a impossible resource. Congrats to you though! It isn't every day that one attains bulk of a rarer color. And it seems that you put it to an excellent use as well!
Cera Cera
Peasant

Post by Cera Cera »

This is really cool! What an amazing roofs!
My MOC's at [url]http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/63544[/url]
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Wow, I really like this MOC. From the drying fish to the long hair on the female figures, the shoreline and the ship, the hide scraping, kudos! Very well done.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
nanuck95
Court jester

Post by nanuck95 »

As others have mentioned, the first thing that jumped out to me was how cool the roof looked on the different buildings. The rest of the buildings looks great as well, it looks like something right out of Beowulf. I got a kick out of the dried fish, I wonder if they're making lutefisk? :)