King's Castle Comparison

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
nanuck95
Court jester

King's Castle Comparison

Post by nanuck95 »

I finally picked up the new Kingdom's 7946 King's Castle and thought it would be fun to post some side-by-side pictures of it compared to the original 6080 King's Castle and a brief comparison/commentary of their similarity and differences.

Link to Flickr

Number of Pieces:
6080 King's Castle: 618 parts
7946 King's Castle: 933 parts

Number of minifigs:
6080 King's Castle: 12 minifigs - (4 archers, 4 soldiers, 4 knights)
7946 King's Castle: 8 minifigs - (1 king, 2 archers, 2 soldiers, 1 green dragon knight, 2 green dragon soldiers)

Number of horses:
6080 King's Castle: 4 horses
7946 King's Castle: 1 horse + barding

Number of instruction manuals:
6080 King's Castle: 1 book
7946 King's Castle: 3 books

Both sets look very similar and have some very similar features. Both sets include a drawbridge and a gatehouse. Some of the differences are the 1-piece portcullis on 7946, whereas the portcullis was brick build for 6080. 6080 also had 4 more minifigs, all from the same faction, but 7946 had an actual king with a very nice horse barding. Both sets have a dungeon, with 7946 having a "break-away" rear wall so the prisoners can escape.

Overall, I really enjoy the new castle. My only real gripe was the over-juniorized instructions and for many of the steps, you put 3 or less parts on. They could have easily condensed it into 2 books. I love the modular setup for the new castle, you can take the sections apart and rearrange things. I hope Lego expands on this and gives us more modular sets to build into our castle similar to the blacksmith shop and armory that went with the Lion Knights line. The castle is also very stable, they added 2 connector pins at the top and bottom of each wall, which makes it much more rigid than the King's Castle Siege from the crownies. The color scheme is nice too, I like the red highlights.

Anyway, hope that helps, please feel free to leave your own comments.
OverLoad
Steward

Re: King's Castle Comparison

Post by OverLoad »

Just goes to show how much LEGO has changed in the years, yet still keeps a similar theme running through-out. Although the original King's Castle looks much more, well, safe I guess you could say. Alas, I like the color scheme of the newest Kingdom's Castle better.

Just my 2 cents. :)
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128569443@N02/]-New Flickr-[/url] [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MrGray]-Brickshelf-[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=24758]-Tales of the Nortlen-[/url]
quaraga
Total n00b
Total n00b
Location: roflysst (rolling on the floor laughing, yet still somehow typing)

Post by quaraga »

I think I like the older one better. the towers look more useful for defence and the minifigs are better.(personally I would rather have 12 garrison minifigs than 5 and some attackers)
He who thinks you should look at the box that says "Quaraga" if you want to find out his username (about as useful to you as his real name). he only wants you to look so he can laugh about you looking there because he's a total smart...
veevers24
Newbie of the Month

Post by veevers24 »

its nice to see an old castle next to a newer one

lets you see just how good those old designs were

12 minifigures!!!
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Although the great similarity in the structure of the main tower 6080 still look much better to me
It's not that the new set is not good but a few minor changes could have made it look much better especially in the main gate and the main tower. The rest of it is pretty cool :) Well it's still better then anything TLC made over a decade
gormadoc1
Artisan

Post by gormadoc1 »

6080 for nostalgia!
Also more minifigs and horses.
I do not need to justify my reasons.
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.
Griffon
Foot Soldier

Post by Griffon »

6080 anytime! Or am I being prejudice here? :) Still the new set is very nice and a good built but it can't beat ye old 6080.
Thoriun
Laborer

Post by Thoriun »

Hi everybody...

The fisrt time i look at this post was a few days ago, i read all replys since, but i have something so say.

I have this new castle from Kingdoms theme as well as all Knigdoms sets, i don't have the old kings castle yet (give it time). They are mostly well built. the minifigs are great, to few horses for lions, dragons no horses???? i don't understand that, but ok.

As far as the castle itself goes, the first thing i did after i build it was demolish it, for two reasons. one i don't have much space for legos in my room (so only a few ones stay assemble at a time) second i was desapointed with it. the inside has a small area to play, the towers are to tall. the modular sections are ok, but unless TLC make some aditions to it it becomes boring to even look at it.
The foward small "towers"it would be nice if they make it a full tower. personaly i would have it make it diferent, with 3 octagonal towers an house/towers at one end, the front gate wouldn't have to be that tall, problably replace the portuclis with and inner doors.

sorry for the english not my native language

best regards

Thoriun
Thoriun... No words are enough to express how i feel

Silvery, often with black tarnish

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Thoriun