anyone have a bow

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
LONGBOW
Peasant

anyone have a bow

Post by LONGBOW »

anyone here have a bow? I have a 50 pound longbow on order(for a few months :roll: when it says two weeks :evil: )
ham jam spamalot
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Had one when we lived in the country. Dunno how strong, or what kind. My dad might know. (He has a longbow, I think).
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

I have a 35 lbs recurve bow, the company that made it did an excellent job with the wood/fo-wood color combinations. I oughta take a picture of it, if not to share here, just to have. I'm pretty good with it, though I need a few more accessories methinks.

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

All I have is a modern compound bow and if I remember correctly it can be adjusted up to 150 or 250 pounds. All I remember is that it can punch a hole in concrete walls when you miss the target. :shock: It ruins the arrow though. I wish I had a longbow, they are more fun to shoot. As you get more practiced with a compound bow it is pretty hard to miss.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I'll probably be taking archery classes sometime in the next year, but that will be with a modern bow.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Same, I was thinking of taking some archery classes too. I would like to make a wooden long bow though.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

I too have a longbow, and it shoots quite weel.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

I own a stickey-dart bow.
I know it isn't anything special, and can be bought at the buck-or-two for cheep, but I love it. On a good shot, It can go about 30 yards.
AND the stickey-darts stick without you licking them!

Best $2 of my life.
The Josh
Apprentice

Post by The Josh »

Barbapple wrote:I own a stickey-dart bow.
I know it isn't anything special, and can be bought at the buck-or-two for cheep, but I love it. On a good shot, It can go about 30 yards.
AND the stickey-darts stick without you licking them!
I too owned a plastic toy bow. It is like a compound bow, but made of plastic. I have also lost all of the arrows (they didn't stick to the wall even if you licked them so I could care less about them). Back when I had the darts, the bow had slightly less rage than the distance that I could throw them. I guess it wasn't the best bow, but it was still cool.

-The Josh
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

I have a bow...basic, basic thing. 30 lbs pulled (I feel like such a wussy). Pretty good with it, though I enjoy telling people that don't know me that I'm better with it than I am.

--Caleb
Philosophies of my life:

"A PC turned off is better than a PC turned on"

"It's not about who wins...it's about who gets to gloat after they win."
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Sir Smittens wrote:I have a bow...basic, basic thing. 30 lbs pulled (I feel like such a wussy).
Don't feel like a wussy, I am a pretty big guy, and I'm old. I have been shooting a bow for years, this makes a huge difference with the weight you can pull. Some guys can lift 400 pounds, I don't feell like a wussy because I can only lift 300. Its all relative, give yourself a few years and a few $$ and you can buy a fancier, heavier weight bow. Personally I am planning on buy a low tech longbow next, I know a guy who still makes some traditional bows.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
The Josh
Apprentice

Post by The Josh »

How much does a basic longbow cost?

I know the price range is probably huge, but I'm curious what the average cost of a longbow and some arrows would be (the arrows preferably without suction cups on the ends).

-The Josh
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

The Josh wrote:How much does a basic longbow cost?

I know the price range is probably huge, but I'm curious what the average cost of a longbow and some arrows would be (the arrows preferably without suction cups on the ends).

-The Josh
I've seen some pretty decent looking bows for 100 bucks. I've seen some really good ones for much more as well.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
The Josh
Apprentice

Post by The Josh »

doctorsparkles wrote:I've seen some pretty decent looking bows for 100 bucks. I've seen some really good ones for much more as well.
That's not bad, but I'll probably never get one. If I had the money (which I don't :( ), I'd rather spend it on Lego or on pizza (mmmmm, pizza :P ).

-The Josh
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

The Josh wrote:
doctorsparkles wrote:I've seen some pretty decent looking bows for 100 bucks. I've seen some really good ones for much more as well.
That's not bad, but I'll probably never get one. If I had the money (which I don't :( ), I'd rather spend it on Lego or on pizza (mmmmm, pizza :P ).

-The Josh
Well, I have a longbow but it is home made, and he shoots very well stil.
Why dont you do your one?
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.