2011 to 2012 castle set speculation

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
SPACE MARINE
Apprentice

2011 to 2012 castle set speculation

Post by SPACE MARINE »

Note: This is not a request or what we'd like to see thread, this a what we think we'll see thread)

I personally think we'll see some new sets in summer of 2011, mainly lion sets but a couple dragon knight focused ones, with an mid-sized exclusive around the winter holidays.

In 2012, we will probably see the world continue as is ;-), Legowise, we should see some summer sets with 2 new minor factions (please be Eagle and Boar), little appearance of the dragons as they are gradually replaced by a new faction designed to replace them, while the lions continue as are, in addition we will probably see BPs for the new factions.
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good- Rom. 12:21

Little Bricks, BIG dreams
Kev
Bailiff

Re: 2011 to 2012 castle set speculation

Post by Kev »

I speculate that the current castle line will die off in 2011 with maybe a couple small new sets, and will be replaced with licensed sets from the upcoming Hobbit movie in late 2011/2012.
gormadoc1
Artisan

Post by gormadoc1 »

I think that the theme will continue right through and will not be replaced because of the Hobbit. Do not forget that the Castle theme was one of the first three themes with minifigs, and so it is an important part of Lego. I just think that it may continue like this for about 3 years, then it will change again.
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

If I am not incorrect one of the last times Steve Witt spoke to the forum he said Castle is not going away so I'd doubt the hobbit would replace it. It may run side by side but my hunch is kingdoms is here to stay. If castle did not go away for PoP and other like series even less likely.

My guess is by 2013 castle will start off in a new minicycle. For 2011 and 2012 my guess is more Lion and Dragon knights, perhaps with some secondary groups (trolls/dwarves as was with the 2007-2009 lines).

Seems like TLC is getting later and later in releasing any info on future sets or lines so who knows. My guesses are just based on the last decade plus of the company's workings.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
KumpelKante
Geoffrey of Monmouth

Post by KumpelKante »

For 2011 there is not that much need for speculation left, as there are four prelim-pics shown on eurobricks. We will get 4 new sets, two of them are civilian.

For 2012, i think we will get some more civilian sets... well maybe one civilian and one conflict based, so that the balance will lie a bit more on the conflict-aspect of the theme again.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Speculation threads belong in the Dear LEGO forum. I will move it there.

This Castle Sets forum is only for released castle sets. Thanks.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

Well, there probably be some overlap, but I still think Castle will be gone by the end of 2012 when the Hobbit line is rolling at full speed. Kinda like I think Lego let Pirates go as soon as they inked a deal on a POTC line. (Though in that case there was no overlap.)
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Kev wrote:I speculate that the current castle line will die off in 2011 with maybe a couple small new sets, and will be replaced with licensed sets from the upcoming Hobbit movie in late 2011/2012.
Um, did I miss something on a new license for the upcomming Hobbit movie? I would think that LEGO would decline on The Hobbit as the did for LOTR for the same reasons, ie, too much violence. I would hope that LEGO would not pursue such as I would hate to see more fleashies in "castle" garb. Harry Potter is enough.

Castle is too popular a product line to just fade away. After 2012, I feel that LEGO will have two new factions. My bet is that one would be a reboot of the Black Falcons, like they did for the Crown and Lion Knights. As to the second faction it could be a few different possibilities with an equal probability of each; Forestmen, Elves, Wolfpack, or a new faction like Boars or Bears. Despite LEGO firmly denying Elves there is the collectible figure that came out, which is why I think there is the chance that they may be released like the Dwarves were (as a sub-theme to Crown Knights) or as a full faction in 2013.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

I still hold to my belief that when they changed it to "Kingdoms" they left it open to use any part of the world that had it's own medieval/feudal period. Perhaps they do the current collection of sets and in a couple of years move over to feudal Japan and do that for a couple of years. It would be a decent way to keep the line fresh because, let's be honest here, except for changing the faction every couple of years castle was starting to get kind of repetitive in the late 80's and early 90's. Even when they went with wholesale changes AFOLs screamed foul...KK2. In the late 90's they did Fright Knights and Dragon Masters and we all know those were dark days for LEGO business wise.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

Tower of Iron Will wrote:
Kev wrote:I speculate that the current castle line will die off in 2011 with maybe a couple small new sets, and will be replaced with licensed sets from the upcoming Hobbit movie in late 2011/2012.
Um, did I miss something on a new license for the upcomming Hobbit movie? I would think that LEGO would decline on The Hobbit as the did for LOTR for the same reasons, ie, too much violence. I would hope that LEGO would not pursue such as I would hate to see more fleashies in "castle" garb. Harry Potter is enough.

Castle is too popular a product line to just fade away. After 2012, I feel that LEGO will have two new factions. My bet is that one would be a reboot of the Black Falcons, like they did for the Crown and Lion Knights. As to the second faction it could be a few different possibilities with an equal probability of each; Forestmen, Elves, Wolfpack, or a new faction like Boars or Bears. Despite LEGO firmly denying Elves there is the collectible figure that came out, which is why I think there is the chance that they may be released like the Dwarves were (as a sub-theme to Crown Knights) or as a full faction in 2013.
-Tower
Nothing has been "officially" announced, which is why we are just "speculating."

The Hobbit movies are being made as PG-13 films, like the POTC and last 4 or so Harry Potter movies. The book is more comic and less serious than the LOTR books, and the films are going the same way. The director said they will be more accessible to a younger audience. Same look, less seriousness and brutality.

Castle has disappeared from the shelves for periods of time before. I suppose some consideration will be have to be given to how many medieval warfare sets retailers will want on shelves at one time.
Cera Cera
Peasant

Post by Cera Cera »

check the smiley

Please read the above image and notice that your post has been edited/modified by a CC moderator.
My MOC's at [url]http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/63544[/url]
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

Just to clarify to you all: If you aren't sure it's a leak, ask a mod or an admin.

Anything with a LEGO watermark on the image that says, "Confidential. 20** The LEGO Group. Not to be copied or disclosed. PRELIMINARY IMAGE." is strictly a no-no for posting.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Cera Cera
Peasant

Post by Cera Cera »

I'm sorry, i didn't know that. It won't happen again.
My MOC's at [url]http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/63544[/url]
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

I think the key questions for the futur eof kingdoms are...

1. Will we get a big dragon castle? Oh that'd be sweet!
2. Who will get the next castle ship, as those have become staples recently
3. Will there be new factions?

The fantasy line did not have the original antagonists have a large castle, but instead gave it to the trolls in the theme's final year. The trolls also got the large ship, with the skellies getting a mid sized ship in an exclusive set so... Going by that, there will be new baddies who will get the big fortress.
I do hope this is not the case, but....we shall see!
Domino Gloria!
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Kev wrote:Castle has disappeared from the shelves for periods of time before.
Can you back up this claim? :D While there have been a couple of years (very few) in which there were no new Castle sets released, but I don't remember there ever being a time that you couldn't find any Castle sets at all. Generally, in those "off" years, the previous year's sets were still available.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]