10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Re: 10193 Medieval Market Village - Official Thread

Post by DaleDVM »

Every time I walk into a LEGO store, I am so surprised to see this set still on sale. It has been two years and even though I think it is the best castle set ever made, as a civy set I would think the sales wouldn't stand up.

Anyone have an idea how well MMV is selling coming up on its two year anniversary of release?
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by J_MAN »

I really want to get one of these!
Gatekeeper
Villein

Post by Gatekeeper »

Honestly, I believe that MMV is one of the best castle sets I have purchased. I love my castles but MMV gives us a nice stock look into peasant life, it's richly detailed, the build is a lot fun and it just looks nice.

I'm hoping that more sets like this one come forward.
“Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.”

George Bernard Shaw
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

Gatekeeper wrote: I'm hoping that more sets like this one come forward.
I wonder if that might be the reason that Lego has offered MMV for so long -- because they have not developed any other set similar to it. I just got the Jan 2011 catalog, and see that MMV is still featured, so I assume it will continue to be available for at least a little while longer.
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by J_MAN »

I just purchased my first copy of this set and it will be here on Friday. I can't wait!
kor
Peasant

Post by kor »

This is the set that brought me out of my 5-6 year long dark age. I bought it a little while back because it just looked too cool not to have. It really is one of the best, if not THE best, castle-themed sets to ever be produced IMO.
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

Indeed, and the fact that it remains in production after all this time should be a clue that TLG may produce more sets like it in the future. *crosses fingers*
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by J_MAN »

I recieved my MMV a couple days ago and have now finished building it for the first time. I have to say I LOVE this set! It has so many cool parts and is just fun to build. Has anyone else noticed the 'pooh' in the stables. :lol:
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

J_MAN wrote: Has anyone else noticed the 'pooh' in the stables. :lol:
YES! There have been several times when I've been on the verge of starting a thread just for those pieces -- clearly the carrots go in the front side orange, and come out the back side brown!
Papy.G
Laborer

some weaks

Post by Papy.G »

While building it, I found out that this could have been made from 200 less parts than it was. There are some unseen details that are useless, since there are no alternate building to use the special parts used in such details.
Also, the building is somehow lame, because of so many wall heights without linking in between, the flanking chimney, for example, could have been integrated in the wall's building instead of feeling like a reported assembly.

Well, all in all, those weaks don't obliterate the fact that this is the coolest castle set ever.

I have quite a problem with the tap part, as already stated in the advent calendar topic, the new mold don't have the little hole to clip a plume inside, disappointing detail.
"I got to brick free!" Freddie Mercury
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PapyG]My Brickshelf[/url]
Artisan
Gong Farmer

Post by Artisan »

I first spotted the Medieval Market Village last holiday season while shopping for my gf's 7yr old cousin's christmas gift. At the time, I had been well over a decade into my (what another person mentioned as) Lego "dark ages". I used to be an avid lego fanatic when I was a kid, and seeing the MMV for the first time was love at first sight and brought me right back to that time. My gf had to practically pry my hands off the box. Unfortunately it wasnt in the budget, and we just got the gift and I had all but forgotten the set.

Fast forward to this past holiday season and I was prepared. I was pleasantly suprized it was still available and bought mine online on black friday. It coudn't even wait till Christmas and I built the set the very same day it arrived in the mail. Let me tell you, for someone who had been off the LEGO kick for so long, it was like an overdose that resparked my love for all things Lego. Took me quite a while to build, mainly since I was taking my sweet time with it, but I loved every minute of it, and I was suprized at the time at how much and how little has changed along the years, i.e. colors, printing on the back of the minifigs and the legs too.

Ever since that set two months ago, I've discovered over a dozen lego blog/sale/info/fan sites, bought many of the smaller classic castle sets from my youth that I never got when I was a child, pulled out the old, dusty, huge trunk of LEGOs I had sitting in the attic and started sorting out usable pieces, made multiple trips to the LEGO store, started my LEGO VIP membership, and I'm planning on creating my first MOC soon (working on the research and I just need to get A LOT more pieces on the cheap).

All because of Medieval Market Village!

Yep, the LEGO addiction has fully taken hold once again and I'm loving every minute of it! :D

Now, what are the chances that this set will go on sale anytime soon at the LEGO store? I'm sure its near the end of its run, alhough it is on the January catalog. The one by me still has plenty in stock and I would love to pick up two more for the pieces if it went on sale.

BTW, Hooray for my first post!
The older I get, the more I realize that common sense isn't so common...
theboywarrior
Steward

Post by theboywarrior »

this set just arived in the mail, and here's what happened to my face: :o :twitch: :sly: :roflol:
Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven’t seen the back of us yet
We’ll fight as long as we live

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen2.bmp[/img]
Kosh
Foot Soldier

Post by Kosh »

Artisan wrote:
All because of Medieval Market Village!
Now, what are the chances that this set will go on sale anytime soon at the LEGO store? I'm sure its near the end of its run, alhough it is on the January catalog. The one by me still has plenty in stock and I would love to pick up two more for the pieces if it went on sale.

BTW, Hooray for my first post!
I'd expect a run on it if there were to be a price reduction on it, it's a almost INSANELY well designed set with a lot of fabulous Castlely goodness inside. Speculators would be competing with the people that wanted it directly for the pieces, such as you or I or those of us around here (and elsewhere) that voted it 'The Greatest Castle Set of All Time'.
I hope it stays in production for years yet, understand it likely will NOT do so but that's my hope. My second related hope is that if it DOES go out of production it's replaced by some JUST as good.

Congratulations on your first post!
Build? I merely Acquire atm.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I have no official information, but here are some thoughts on availability:

LEGO exclusives often have longer production runs than retail themes. Consider recent examples like the Star Destroyer or Cafe Corner. Further back, another great civilian Castle set, Guarded Inn, was released in 1986 and... *opens file cabinet* ... was still available in the 1991 Spring/Easter catalog.

LEGO is willing to directly sell products beyond a typical retail theme's shelf life if they are popular. It's quite possible that the MMV will still be available for the 2011 holiday season. However, I know how awful it is to wait and suddenly find that a set you want is no longer available, so don't hold off if you really want it. The set is popular and exclusive enough that I wouldn't expect to see it on sale for more than 10% off*, and we have no idea when it will disappear. Could be tomorrow, could be there until the end of the world. *ahem* 2012.

(* I bought three from S@H when they were 10% off around Brick Friday)
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

Awesome set, just plain awesome. The perfect balance of genericness and detail is amazing. It is one of the only lego sets that could actually compare to a MOC. Definitly buying it.