Bricks by the Bay 2011! Help needed, even if not attending!

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
BreadMan
Archer

Bricks by the Bay 2011! Help needed, even if not attending!

Post by BreadMan »

Hey all!

I am once again coordinating what was Castle at Bricks by the Bay, March 25-27th in Santa Clara, California. I say "was" because the category has been renamed "Fantasy and Historical" to better encompass Castle, Pirate, Historical, Steampunk, etc. A number of things:

1. You should attend! If you live near the San Francisco Bay Area you have no excuse :mrgreen:, and if not it is a great place to visit! Some of the best weather is this time of year and tourist crowds are very reduced. Also: Lego Con.

More info / registration: http://www.bricksbythebay.com/wordpress ... istration/

2. If you are coming, please post some idea of what you might be bringing on the wiki page here, by clicking "Edit" or just posting as a comment.

3. If you're not coming, I can still use your help! Specifically regarding awards. I have five awards to give out and I need suggestions for categories. I've some ideas myself but I'd like to hear what other people think. It is a little ambiguous due to the generalization of the category, I can't exactly have an award for "best castle" (last year we had a "best pirate" award and nobody brought any pirate MOCs) so I'm looking for creative things like "Best Action," "Most Creative Parts Usage," etc.

4. Following that, I also need help designing the trophies themselves. These are the actual 8x8 vignettes, microscale MOCs, sculptures etc. that are given to the winners (see here for examples). If you're interested in building one or more please PM me. You do not need to send me the actual award, I just need an ldraw file or detailed enough photos to recreate it myself. There is an award for best designed trophy! If yours is the winning design I will of course ship you the trophy.
Tedward
Squire

Re: Bricks by the Bay 2011! Help needed, even if not attending!

Post by Tedward »

Re: Awards

I'd suggest some slightly tongue-in-cheek awards like they do for those kids award shows. Stuff like:
  • 'Best fight" which could be split into two awards if you want: duel between two characters and mass battle
  • "Deadliest frying pan" for any non-weapon being used as a weapon
  • "Party like it's 1399" for best celebration/feast/dance/whatever
  • "Captain Ahab" for best ship or nautical themed MOC
theboywarrior
Steward

Re: Bricks by the Bay 2011! Help needed, even if not attending!

Post by theboywarrior »

How about, like...
Most Defended Fortress, for having a well manned castle/fort/zombie apocalypse donut shop.
Biggest Siege Equipment, (guess)
Ack! I'm out of ideas!
I second that best frying pan one, by the way. Brilliant!
:D
Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven’t seen the back of us yet
We’ll fight as long as we live

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen2.bmp[/img]