Collectible Minifig Series 4

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Re: Collectible Minifig Series 4

Post by Athos »

Ye Olde Republic wrote:I've seen so many references to the gnome being put into peoples "garden MOC's" here and other places that I just wanted to make sure that those who may not know, understand that gnomes are not just ornaments.
Though this guy does look more like a garden gnome that a proper fantasy gnome.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

Of course. Modern convention says that a gnome has to look a certain way otherwise the average person will not know what it is unless they are told. At least his hat isn't tall, red and conical like that travelocity mascot. The lego gnome is what you make it, I just wanted to make sure that some of our younger members start thinking this doesn't have to be a garden ornament only.
Mine will probably be torn apart and the pieces used as peasants anyway and at least on pirate here will have that hat. :D
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Athos wrote:
Ye Olde Republic wrote:I've seen so many references to the gnome being put into peoples "garden MOC's" here and other places that I just wanted to make sure that those who may not know, understand that gnomes are not just ornaments.
Though this guy does look more like a garden gnome that a proper fantasy gnome.

Steve
Our Gnome Is Not So Weird?

I want one, regardless. I'm also excited about all the different monster-movie figs, the musketeer, and the haz-mat guy. I've got a nifty use for that black fez, too . . .
Highwayman
Laborer

Post by Highwayman »

I saw a matching picture game in the latest Lego Club magazine that has some close shots of the artist's brush, the viking's axe, and the geisha's fan, as well as a good shot of the characters themselves. I'll try and post a scan of it tomorrow. ^__^
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... asant1.jpg[/img]
"Evening, madam. I'll be having your bricks now, if you please." - The Highwayman

[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/66812]MOC Page[/url]|[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Highwayman]Brickshelf[/url]
Hikaro Takayama
Villein

Post by Hikaro Takayama »

I'm definitely going to try and get me a bunch of Sailors (About dadgum time LEGO made some proper NAVY sailors), Musketeers (I actually posted a suggestion at the official LEGO Castle forums proposing an idea for a 15th-17th century theme with Musketeers, an evil Cardinal, Roundheads, Royalists, etc with a side order of loopy Spanish knights charging at windmills and such) and vikings.... Wouldn't mind getting a gnome or two either. :D

As for the rest... Frankenstein's monster would be cool just for the fact that I really liked Mary Shelly's original story, the Kimono Girl would make a nice female Samurai (with some modding), and if the punk rocker's hair piece was in red or orange, it would make the PERFECT hair for a Warhammer-style Dwarf Trollslayer! Finally, the Hazmat suit guy would be PERFECT for some "Back to the Future" MOC's :D
jdarlack
Freeman

Post by jdarlack »

WhiteFang at Eurobricks has posted a ginormous review of series 4.

I'm disappointed with the Musketeer (in addition to the annoying balled-point rapier, it has a pretty lame looking basket handle as well). I do look forward to the Gnome (though as WhiteFang comments, it's too bad there's not a different colored fish included). I'm also looking forward to the torso and shield from the Viking (not to mention, the axehead, which I believe, is in a new color [that appears to be non-painted in comparison to the helmet]).

Besides the obvious appeal, the Frankenstein figure will enable us to have some pretty dapper orcs! :orc:

With a little brasso, the Skateboarder's hat will look fine on a peasant or two, and with a little yellow paint, the Werewolf's hair piece can add some elven variety.

The crazy scientist, which seems to be the rarest of them all, is cool for the sake of the nice gray wild hair--which might look interesting in combination with a grey-bearded wizard (perhaps that's why wizard's walk around with those huge pointy hats. . . to accommodate that insanely wild hair). The scientist's bottle will be a nice complement to the new 'glassware' that will come with the POTC sets.

WhiteFang was kind enough to include some probability stats for the boxes he picked up:
WhiteFang wrote:Highest probability
1) Punk Rockers
2) Sailors
3) Werewolves
Total range: 25%
Each: 8.33%

Medium probability
1) Kimono Girls
2) Surfer Girls
3) The Monsters
4) Street Skaters
5) Soccer Players
6) Hazmat Guys
7) Artists
Total range: 46.67%
Each: 6.67%

Low probability
1) Lawn Gnomes
2) Musketeers
3) Vikings
4) Hockey Players
5) Ice Skaters
Total range: 25%
Each 5%

Lowest probability
1) Crazy Scientists
Total range: 3.33%
Each 3.33%
Last edited by jdarlack on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Darlack
Hikaro Takayama
Villein

Post by Hikaro Takayama »

I really do hope that the Sailors are common: I'm going to have a Republic of New Jersey Frigate that needs crewing soon, and need some distinct naval uniforms for them.
Captain Darling: "Look, I'm as British as Queen Victoria!"
Capt. Edmund Blackadder: "So, you're telling me that your father was German, you're half-German and you married a German?"
svede
Villein

Post by svede »

I mentioned this to Pijani in relation to his drow city, but I thought it would be worthwhile to mention in this thread as well. The werewolf minifigure has the series 3 elf's hair/ear piece, but with dark skin. Could be good for giving variation to elves or even creating dark elves (drows). I'm not much into fantasy, but figured this might be good news to some people. If this is old news, please forgive the duplicate mention.

Thanks!
KarenJ
Foot Soldier

Post by KarenJ »

jdarlack wrote:WhiteFang at Eurobricks has posted a ginormous review of series 4.

That was a wonderful review. It was just as entertaining as it was informative. I really liked how WhiteFang tied this series together with previous ones: making a band, a notorious group of monsters, Japanese cultural icons, a day at the beach, etc. Nice job.
The data analysis was good as well- we'll see if the statistics hold up when they come out. Of course, the mad scientist is uber cool so I probably wont find one. :mrgreen:
Karen

Left dark ages Jan '07
foxdobbs
Peasant

Post by foxdobbs »

these are now out in stores ... 4 cases left at the Tumwater, WA Fred Meyers :woo:
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by plums_deify »

Yep. Washingtong Fred Meyers are, again, one of the first to get them in stores.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]!
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Got a box at TRU. Scanned the package at Target. They are in the system, none in stock though.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

I rummaged through a box at my local TRU last Friday.
Turns out this assortment is the easiest to "feel" the parts for each one.
I ended up buying 20, sure I had each one plus a couple extra Soccer Players, Hazmat Guy.
I must have been distracted though because I know I picked up the Werewolf, Hockey Player and Viking but I didn't get any of them.
All the rest (though) are sooooo very good.
Truly the Hazmat Guy is the best of this bunch, 2nd is the Musketeer. Truly a rockin' bunch. Cannot wait for the Easter section of Target to get them next! :tasty:

FYI --> I'm in Tennessee of the USA, near enough to Chattanooga to spit at it. You could say there's a Volkswagon plant between me and that TRU. :wink:
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

I just took possession of a couple early-release figs (won for a surprisingly reasonable eBay price :twisted: ), and can confirm for anyone who's interested that, like series 3, there are little dimples along the bottom, presumably allowing one to narrow down which fig is in the package without opening it. No doubt someone will be along shortly with a complete chart; I in my excitement forgot to note exactly which dot-pattern corresponded to the Punk and which to Frankenstein. Oops.

As for the figs themselves, I like them both. Frank is everything I expected (and I suspect will end up swapping a few parts with orcs along the way), and the Punk, though not one of my original frontrunners, is definitely growing on me. Surprisingly, I believe that guitar has a very useful and (if you don't mind my saying so) creative Castle use, to be revealed soonish . . .
WhiteFang
Villein

Post by WhiteFang »

jdarlack wrote:WhiteFang at Eurobricks has posted a ginormous review of series 4.....
Thank you so much for sharing the link with CC community. :)
[url=http://www.classic-town.net/]Classic Town.net[/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=whitefang]My Brickshelf[/url]
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=WhiteFang]My BrickLink Store[/url]