Battle Wagons

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
theboywarrior
Steward

Battle Wagons

Post by theboywarrior »

We all know the LEGO battle wagons from various series, like the Crownies' King's Chariot, and the Crusaders' Dungeon Hunters wagon, not to mention the KK1 Rebel's Chariot. However, did you know about the battle wagons used by peasant archers and (later) gunmen during battles?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... eplika.jpg\\

Just somethink interesting I discovered while looking up cavalry and anti-cavalry strategy for a project of mine. :D
Enjoy!
Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven’t seen the back of us yet
We’ll fight as long as we live

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen2.bmp[/img]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Re: Battle Wagons

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

These actually were in use for hundreds of years in Eastern Europe.

Take a look at the Hussites if you are interested in war wagons. Seems in 1419 Jan Zizka started out with standard wagons and over time build them up into a much more specific strategy of basically creating a mobile fortress.

One Hussite ordinance from the 1420s gives the following break down in a group of around 20-30 men. 2 drivers, 2 handgunners, 6 crossbowmen, 14 flailmen, 4 halbardiers, two pavisiers.

They seemed to have worked fairly well as it was when the group fell apart and began fighting itself that they at last were defeated. That said many feel the leadership fighting against them was iffy at best. Joan of Arc promised once she drove the English from France she'd attack the Hussites as they were considered heretics at the time by much of Europe.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...