Collectable Series 5 - review - now in stores (UK,US,others)

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Elbadar
Artisan

Re: Collectable Series 5 - review - now in stores (UK)

Post by Elbadar »

Not sure if this is news, but series 5 is on the Collectible Minifigs minisite on lego.com

http://minifigures.lego.com/en-US/defau ... inifigures

The bios are kinda funny, but other then that not allot of news.
Back to the front!
soccerkid6
Admin
Admin

Post by soccerkid6 »

Cool.
The bios are rather interesting.
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Brickbuilt: http://www.brickbuilt.org/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacsnyder/
Karalora
Journeyman

Post by Karalora »

I got the biggest chuckle out of the lumberjack's quote.
Memsochet
Laborer

Post by Memsochet »

I just picked up a box of these from a TRU in the States. And where I'm at is not a place known for getting stuff like this early. So you might start looking at your local TRUs to see if they are putting them out early.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

FBTB is reporting they are at TRU at MSRP. I checked the Roseville CA, TRU yesterday and found only about a dozen of series 4.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

They are starting to filter in to TRUs now. I got a few this morning, for $2.99. I have to say, there are a fair number of "meh" figs in this series for me, but the ones that I like, I really, really like. The dwarf is a really nice surprise. His torso is mostly covered by the beard in all the photos, but the torso has an absolutely gorgeous print, with plate mail, leather, and golden dragon wings. The shadowing around the eyes is a nice, touch too. Very Duergar-esque. And of course, the winged helmet looks amazing in the steel colour. The Gladiator is also fantastic, but enough other people will rant about it, I'm sure.

Does anyone have a breakdown of how many of each in the boxes, yet? Personally, I got picked up 3 Buckingham Palace Guards from one box, so I think it's not the rare(est) one, unless they've switched entirely to a minimum of 3. I'm guessing the Gladiator is the rare one (I think I only found 2 from one box), as it always seems to be one of the more popular figs that's rarest.

Cm2
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/porschecm ... onal.1.png[/img]
Think twice. Post once.
Constructum excellentia!
Memsochet
Laborer

Post by Memsochet »

porschecm2 wrote:Does anyone have a breakdown of how many of each in the boxes, yet?
Whitefag's review had the breakdown for the box he got. And when I get home & open all of mine, I'll do the same. So far though I've gotten mainly Graduates & Animal Trainer Girls.
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Memsochet wrote:
Whitefag's review had the breakdown for the box he got. And when I get home & open all of mine, I'll do the same. So far though I've gotten mainly Graduates & Animal Trainer Girls.

Ah, I missed that. Much obliged. I'm glad to see that there will be no more twosies.

[EDIT] I'll also point out--and this is a big deal--that the Gladiator's shortsword is not, as far as I can tell, the cheaper plastic like many of the series' accessories. It's the high quality good stuff, the same the classic swords found in the recent Kingdoms sets. Same goes for the British Guard's brown rifle.

Cm2
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/porschecm ... onal.1.png[/img]
Think twice. Post once.
Constructum excellentia!
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

There is probably about half a box at the Reno, NV TRU. Its missing the gladiators and a complete set, sans Cleopatra and the snowboarder, which someone else got before me. Who'd have thought the snowboarder would be hard to find?
Memsochet wrote: Whitefag's
I think you're missing an 'n' in there... :D

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Gomur
Apprentice

Post by Gomur »

I've hit the LEGO stores in Northbrook and Woodfield IL over the last week and they've currently got figs from Series 2, 3, 4, and 5 on sale. I came in looking for specifics and in the process helped several dozen kids find the ones they were looking for too, so I pretty much combed the entire stock of both stores (or however much of it was out on the shelves). I'm not an army builder so I only bought one of each and two Elves and Samurai, but here's the breakdown for anyone who's interested:

Woodfield:

Series 2: A large bin of approximately 200-300 packages left. No Spartans, no Vampires, a Witch or two, loads and loads of lifeguards, disco DJ's, and pop singers.
Series 4: A large bin with only about 150 left. No Geishas or Vikings, a few hockey players and sailors (which I helped other people find while I was looking through them). Found several Musketeers.
Series 5: Several bins throughout the store totaling maybe 300-400 packages. Despite being released only five days ago, extremely picked over. One Godzilla-man and one Gangster, both of which I bought, two Gladiators and two Evil Dwarves, one of which I bought each and the others I gave to kids who were looking for them. Loads of British Grenadiers, Sherlock Holmes, and Cavewomen, only a handful of clowns, snowboarders, and ice fishermen, and plenty of everything else.

Northbrook:

Series 3: Two small bins, maybe 200 total but not picked over at all. No Aliens, no Gorilla Guys, only two Samurai (both of which I bought), several Elves, though I bought two and helped kids in the store find 3-4 more, several Mummies and Cheiftans, lots of Hula Girls, Tennis Players and Pilots.
Series 4: Small bin with approximately 100 left. No Geishas, a viking or two (didn't buy), and only a couple of Musketeers, one of which I bought and one of which I helped a kid find.

What I DID get:

Elf x 2: Gorgeous figures with loads of great parts. My son's favorites.
Samurai x 2: Armor is just OK (sort of a drab gray), but the dark gray katana is always nice and the figure itself is beautifully printed. Almost looks better without the armor and with a short wooden stick piece in the other hand for a sheath.
Fisherman x 1: for my dad, who loves to fish, and looks hilariously just like this fig.
Mummy x 1: because hey, can you every have enough generic/iconic LEGO baddies? Another of my son's favs.
Musketeer x 1: because I've always wanted a LEGO rapier and his hat is great.
Godzilla man x 1: at my son's request, hard to find but looks great.
Gangster x 1: A cool figure with a nifty little violin case and an always-handy black fedora.
Gladiator x 1: Agreed with the above poster that the new gladius-style sword is very high quality plastic and relatively pointy like the old-school (or new school, I haven't looked at the PotC sets) pirate swords. His helmet is also cool, but the best parts about this fig are the printed armor on the arms and his face which is one I hadn't seen before. Very cool and worth hunting for.
Evil Dwarf x 1: Like the Elf, clearly made to warm the hearts of us AFOL's who could have only dreamed about fantasy minifigs this detailed in the 80's. Cool shield design, face, body, everything.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

So they are in the USA, those series 5 figures, and this time around all the big and bulky ones seem to be the army builders. Tragically the Gladiator and Dwarf are not more represented in the box. Ah well, we will just keep on looking...

BTW, in case you did not know it, the Boxer has a two sided head (loser & winner) and his gloves ARE his hands. Weird.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Series 5 showed up at my local TRU a few days ago. They had 45 packs, and I grabbed them all. Went 19/19 with the feel method with an extra gladiator and two extras dwarfs.
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Username wrote:Series 5 showed up at my local TRU a few days ago. They had 45 packs, and I grabbed them all. Went 19/19 with the feel method with an extra gladiator and two extras dwarfs.
Did you then return the ones you didn't want? I've always been curious as to how they feel about people doing that. :o
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

AK_Brickster wrote: Did you then return the ones you didn't want? I've always been curious as to how they feel about people doing that. :o
I do. Not sure what the difference is in picking them out in the store or at home.
Azaghal
Landlord

Re: Collectable Series 5 - review - now in stores (UK,US,oth

Post by Azaghal »

Series 5 at S@H, now with amusing description errors:
Inspired by movies, sports, history and just everyday life, this collection includes: Fitness Instructor, Flamenco Dancer, Lizard Man, Lumberjack, Gladiator, Small Clown, Egyptian Queen, Evil Dwarf, Boxer, Ice Fisherman, Jungle Boy, Graduate, Royal Guard, Cave Woman, Detective, and Gangster!
:roll: