Classic Castle mascot?

Discussion of general LEGO topics
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Re: Classic Castle mascot?

Post by AK_Brickster »

I think we should have a monthly challenge with a vote at the end. I also think it would be great to have him available for the BrickCon Sig Fig photo shoot!

For what it's worth, I like this guy, only I'd put do Blue arm/red leg on one side and red arm/blue leg on the other.
The torso is very "classic" which I like, and the red/blue arms/legs makes him distinctive.

Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
gedren_y
Freeman

Post by gedren_y »

I like the idea of the classic face and the torso here ^^, and even the helmet shape (I have quite a few in several colors), but I still think his name should be Horatio to differentiate him from the actual traveling figs. I'm sorry, but I don't care for the classic sword. Moreover the Classic-Castle mascot should be more of an observer/visitor to the vigs we create. If it is a battle scene the mascot should be just that, a mascot for his chosen side. In more sedate themes he could be seen as a visitor, with more interaction.
Memsochet
Laborer

Post by Memsochet »

gedren_y wrote:Moreover the Classic-Castle mascot should be more of an observer/visitor to the vigs we create. If it is a battle scene the mascot should be just that, a mascot for his chosen side. In more sedate themes he could be seen as a visitor, with more interaction.
I'm thinking more of a Where's Waldo type interaction. In the books you could always easily spot Waldo because he was the 1 person not doing what everybody else was & just seemed to be there. Then his distinctive look made him stand out. When this gets approved I've already got a non-castle MOC I'm putting him in just for the fact he'd be my "Waldo" character in the craziness of the rest of the figs.
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Honestly, I think that a contest is going to be the best way to come up with a CC mascot. Too many folks (including me :lol: ) are already trying too hard to shape the mascot as their own creation rather than something that represents the community. We all have our opinions as to what a CC mascot should be, but it really needs to be something the entire community can get behind for this to work.

The excitement that this thread has generated really suggests that this is a good idea, but it needs to be handled fairly. I love Josh's idea of having a "build-a-mascot" challenge as it would really allow the CC community to voice their thoughts and give some credibility to this mascot. A vote-off, American-Idol style would also be a fun way of choosing the mascot. Anyways, I think the best thing to do is to wait and see where the CC administrators take this. Increased interest in CC is never a bad thing.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Elbadar
Artisan

Post by Elbadar »

As with many of the above posts, I'm a fan of Forestboy's 1st suggestion (but with a generic black belt piece). I also like the name Harvey best, since this is also going to be a fig who hypothetically travels from MOC to MOC and builder to builder, and Harvey sounds like a brother to Harold and Henry.

I am of the opinion that, while this figure is a good mascot, he needs an X-factor. Henry had his briefcase, Harold had his custom helmet, this guy needs something too. My suggestions would be binoculars, a camera, a turkey leg, a walking stick (4 stud long brown rod), a map, or a backpack or knapsack. This would also be nice for anyone who either doesn't have a classic sword, or anyone who just doesn't like the classic sword.
Back to the front!
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Elbadar wrote:I am of the opinion that, while this figure is a good mascot, he needs an X-factor. Henry had his briefcase, Harold had his custom helmet, this guy needs something too. My suggestions would be binoculars, a camera, a turkey leg, a walking stick (4 stud long brown rod), a map, or a backpack or knapsack. This would also be nice for anyone who either doesn't have a classic sword, or anyone who just doesn't like the classic sword.
Brilliant! I like the idea of a walking stick or backpack/knapsack (maybe both?)

As for the selection process, I move that people submit their entries to a thread, monthly challenge style, and at the end of the month the Admins select 4 or 5 to be put up for a public vote with a run-off, if necessary.

I'm also much more partial to "Harvey" than "Horatio".
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
nanuck95
Court jester

Post by nanuck95 »

I like the idea of the mascot as well and I like both of the proposed figs with the red and blue arms/legs. My favorite of the two is the one with the black breastplate armor, but they both look great.

I also like the idea of a contest to be able to come up with something, although it will need to be done soon as the micro castle (assuming it is happening again this year) is probably starting up soon and the CCC is right around the corner.

I'm in the process of moving again and all my Lego is boxed up, so I may not get to build something, but I'd love to see what others come up with and be able to vote.
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

Elbadar wrote:[...] anyone who either doesn't have a classic sword [...]
I dunno-- if you're a castle fan and you don't have a classic sword! Maybe not an ABS one, I suppose. But at that point, we might have to start considering fans who don't have access to classic smiley heads!

DaveE
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Just a heads up, don't anyone get all excited and start a contest thread. This will be the next monthly challenge (though it probably won't run for the whole month).

I'm glad there is so much excitement about this and many thanks to BlueandWhite for the idea!

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Elbadar
Artisan

Post by Elbadar »

davee123 wrote:
I dunno-- if you're a castle fan and you don't have a classic sword! Maybe not an ABS one, I suppose. But at that point, we might have to start considering fans who don't have access to classic smiley heads!

DaveE
Last I checked classic smileys were litteraly a dollar a dozen on ebay, and they were on PAB last year (sadly no more). Besides, depending on the situation one could easily find a reason to swap the smiley for a scared face or either side of the jester head without ruining the figure's significance.
Back to the front!
Forestboy
Steward

Post by Forestboy »

Elbadar wrote:
davee123 wrote:

DaveE
Last I checked classic smileys were litteraly a dollar a dozen on ebay, and they were on PAB last year (sadly no more). Besides, depending on the situation one could easily find a reason to swap the smiley for a scared face or either side of the jester head without ruining the figure's significance.
I think he was making a comparison of castle fans who don't have classic swords, are like fans in general who don't have smiley heads. :) Correct me if I'm wrong. :wink:

~FB~
[url=http://mosaicbricks.blogspot.com/]MosaicBricks[/url]-[url=http://mocpages.com/home.php/12945]Mocpages[/url]-[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kcrmccoy/]Flickr[/url]-[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=kcrmccoy/]Brickshelf[/url]-
---
[url=http://www.classic-castle.com/howto/article ... rands.html]Want your wizards to shoot out huge shots of fire? Learn the Fire Strand technique! (Click the link)[/url]
Elbadar
Artisan

Post by Elbadar »

Forestboy wrote: I think he was making a comparison of castle fans who don't have classic swords, are like fans in general who don't have smiley heads. :) Correct me if I'm wrong. :wink:

~FB~
Well, assuming your right, oops :oops:
Back to the front!
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

Yeah, I was just joking about the abundance of classic swords-- Not too much rarity there!

DaveE
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

Count Blacktron wrote:
Remyth wrote:
Count Blacktron wrote:I have something to add for my own preference.
He needs to bear the same shield as the one on either side of the homepage logo up top.
That was from the 6077 Knight's Procession was it not?
And perhaps it is just me, but the torso might be better if it was less armored or of a neutral design.
I like this one better for neutrality sake,
and for the blue---> Image
The problem with this guy (though it is one of my favorite torsos) is the price tag (and limited quantity available). Not everyone would be willing to pay the money to get one of those and if we are to do this, it should be a thing that everyone can do.
True enough. I do often forget that not everybody was around to get one of those when they were new. :wink:
Just being "Classic-Castle" however, it seems a bit off to have a "Kingdoms" themed torso because it is so new and current...
If the goal is for everyone to have an original, then this wouldn't fly. But with the help of this handy page, it would be possible for anyone to create a representative of the mascot in whatever design is chosen.

I've used the templates to create my own custom torsos, and if I can manage that, anyone can.
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Elbadar
Artisan

Post by Elbadar »

Even so, I think that the torso might not stand out enough. Oh well, we'll see what happens when the admins put their contest/challenge/vote together.
Back to the front!