Kidsfest question

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Kidsfest question

Post by Bluesecrets »

Hey guys...this is a question for those of you who might have been to a Kidsfest.

I'm looking at taking my nephews to the one coming in my area, but I am wanting to know what happens and such. Do the kids get to keep anything or get anything (I should hope for $18 for a kid's ticket you would)? Is it really worth it?

Of course their auntie, is totally hyped and excited about going, but we are looking at $18+18+20+8...and well...if it isn't worth it, I'll just take them to the LEGO store and build figs with them.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Re: Kidsfest question

Post by davee123 »

Bluesecrets wrote:I am wanting to know what happens and such.
It's been varied-- but I believe it's gotten better.

The first year, it was really the "LEGO-themed Family Trade Show". In Hartford, there were hundreds of advertising booths for parents. Everything from educational supplies to cosmetics to family cars. And there were a few LEGO activities, but not much. Mostly a free-build area, some presentations, and AFOL display models.

However, after *DISASTROUS* reviews, they revamped the KidsFest format (at least in Hartford, probably elsewhere too). So it was a lot less advertising and a lot more LEGO. They had a TON of LEGO activities, and very few advertising booths. We almost thought there were NO advertising booths at first, although looking at the map, we found a scant few here and there.

The activities I remember from last year:
- "Creation Nation" build event (build a 16x16 square and gradually fill a map of the USA)
- free-build area
- color-themed builds (build only with one color)
- mosaic builds (build 6x6 squares to complete a large mosaic)
- LEGO games (play various LEGO games-- I think they had a selection of 3)
- LEGO presentations (master builders, set designers, etc? mostly video or live presentations)
- play LEGO universe (various laptops set up for playing)
- play LEGO video games (they had some Playstions or Wiis or something with which to play)
- racing challenge for kids to race their creations
- building contests & voting
- special meetings for LEGO Club members

And of course, there were AFOL displays, other large LEGO models, store displays-- and a scant few advertising booths who pretty much ALL had activities for kids, like a basketball free-throw, a bounce house, and an Xmas ornament build. Oh, and they had a LEGO store (similar to LEGO Brand Retail, but no Pick-A-Brick wall)
Bluesecrets wrote:Do the kids get to keep anything or get anything (I should hope for $18 for a kid's ticket you would)?
Um-- yeah, I guess so. They had special minifigs and some special printed bricks that the kids kept-- basically some tidbits here and there. But it's not like they got to keep whatever they built.
Bluesecrets wrote:Is it really worth it?
Most kids that I heard had a blast at last year's KidsFest. The first year? Not so much. And AFOLs probably won't have all that much to do at a KidsFest, besides look at fellow AFOL models, and watch the goings-on. So I'd recommend going with kids-- if you're going for yourself, nah-- but kids in the 5-10 age range are right in the target market, and should have a lot of fun.

DaveE
Hoboman
Apprentice

Post by Hoboman »

I gave up on Kidsfest. I wrote them three emails asking them some questions and they never responded. While the idea sounded good the lack of reply made me less than excited about spending the money to go. :(
"What do you mean I lost another battle?"
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

Hoboman wrote:I gave up on Kidsfest. I wrote them three emails asking them some questions and they never responded.
I haven't been overly impressed with the firm that LEGO hired to handle the logistics for KidsFest-- not sure if they're related to the lack of response. We had issues getting replies from them, particularly more than a month before the actual event took place. However, for the last KidsFest, we got a contact directly from LEGO, who was much more responsive.

DaveE
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

Thanks guys. I asked because I'm trying to justify spending the money. Or if I should just take the boys out to the LEGO store and spend it there. I'm still not sure what the answer is yet, but you helped.

There will not be an AFOL layout at any of the up coming Kidsfests.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

Bluesecrets wrote:There will not be an AFOL layout at any of the up coming Kidsfests.
Oh? Looks like that may be the case for Raleigh and Cleveland-- but Hartford has AFOL contributions listed as a "Fun Activity" (and it's what we heard from LEGO the last time we asked them about participating). Interesting...

DaveE
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

My LUG got official notice that due to "budget and space concerns" there will be no AFOL space for displaying. I was told this was not the only Kidsfest that it was happening at too.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

Bluesecrets wrote:My LUG got official notice that due to "budget and space concerns" there will be no AFOL space for displaying. I was told this was not the only Kidsfest that it was happening at too.
Huh-- which LUG is that? And how soon before the event were you told? Is this the first year KidsFest came to your area?

DaveE
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

This is the first in my state, yes, but there was one a few hours away. I received word about that because I am an ambassador and asked for information on the Kidsfest coming. I asked in March, got informed in August that the AFOL part was not happening. This was confirmed by a second person in my area, who was also contacted.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan