Colossal Castle Contest 9

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Colossal Castle Contest 9

Post by architect »

The CC Team is proud to announce our ninth annual building contest: The Colossal Castle Contest IX. It will begin on November 1st and end on December 31st, 2011.

This contest is a bit different than other contests. We have a variety of categories each with one prize for the winner. Some categories require small creations and others need larger ones. Everyone, even with a limited supply of bricks, should be able to enter several categories. We are looking for creativity, not who has the most LEGO.

Check out the prizes. Seven Classic Castle sets including the popular Wolfpack Renegades, Black Monarch's Ghost, Twin-Arm Launcher, and Kings Castle are prizes. There are are also hard to find misb sets, custom medieval weapons, and new castle sets. It truly is colossal!

Thank you to Rich Stehnach "Blackrock", Josh Wedin, BrickArms, BrickForge, BrickWarriors, The Brothers Brick, and the LEGO Company for donating prizes. The rules can be found
here Enjoy!

Note: Please feel free to ask contest questions in this thread. It may take one to two days for an admin to answer your specific contest questions. We are working with our programmer to update the entry pages. Please be patient as it may take one to two weeks for these pages to be operable. Thanks.
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 9

Post by Elephant Knight »

Bring it on!

I am feeling pretty pumped about this (The lack of work helps, I think), so maybe I'll get more then a couple entires built.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
Jacks100
Freeman

Post by Jacks100 »

I plan on doing this!
~Ru
Athalus
Foot Soldier

Post by Athalus »

The time has come! Lets get building! :D

Just wondering: Is any stonework allowed for the wooden castle category; like stone foundations?
Brickule
Servant of the Secret Fire

Post by Brickule »

Let the building commence! I read the rules and I didn't see anything about overhang, does it mater if my dragon's wings and tail hang out over the base? Also, custom accessories may be used on Minifigures only in the Minifigure categories, but what if I want to use the Brickforge Laser-beams for icicles?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Athalus wrote:Just wondering: Is any stonework allowed for the wooden castle category; like stone foundations?
1. No. You can place your castle on an earthen mound. The wooden castle should not have a stone base or be built on a rocky cliff or mountain. If stones were easily available, they wouldn't have built a wooden castle.
Brickule wrote:Also, custom accessories may be used on Minifigures only in the Minifigure categories, but what if I want to use the Brickforge Laser-beams for icicles?
2. No. The only custom elements allowed in categories other than miscellaneous and the custom figure categories are: animals, stickers, string, and cloth (ie: sails and banners).

Ben
stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

Wattle and daub, is that wood or stone in your opinion?
Is it the era your looking for, the time before stone castles?

Great contest as always, I'm determined to enter. :)
If you're a Dutch legofan, visit [url=http://www.lowlug.nl]Lowlug[/url]!
Blego7
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Blego7 »

Oh wow!
No rest for the weary, back to the bricks! Will be doing my best effort to attend this year :)
Lolino
Blind Harry

Post by Lolino »

I have a question. Can I create one set on Flickr for all photos for contest? Like Derfel last year: http://www.flickr.com/photos/45244184@N ... 175904805/
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

stuifzand wrote:Wattle and daub, is that wood or stone in your opinion?
3. No. The wood timber frame structure should be infilled with wattle (woven twigs) and daub (mud/clay mixture). Infilling the timber frame with brick or stone would is more of a late medieval upgrade and not allowed. Plastering over part of the timber frame would be allowed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wattle_and_daub
Is it the era your looking for, the time before stone castles?
4. Stone Castles and Wood Castles were often built during the same time period. Any type of wooden castle built between the fall of Rome and the great fire of London would qualify.
Lolino wrote:Can I create one set on Flickr for all photos for contest?
5. No. Please create individual sets for each contest entry. Thanks.
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Post by shmails »

Woohoo! This is always my favorite time of year. There are some really wonderful categories, I cannot wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Of course I have a question: For the Siege Weapon, should there be a scene (i.e. attacking a castle) or do you want the weapon alone with no base? Thanks in advance!
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

After taking a closer look at the Catagories, I must say that I am a bit underwelmed by the prize pool. Lots of good prizes, but I feel that most of them are a bit small, especially for a contest that is called 'Colossal'. The Master Builder prize also seems a bit underwhelming.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
Purple Wolf
Hero
Hero

Post by Purple Wolf »

Ah the Colossal Castle Contest. At last I can enter. I am going to have so much fun building for this. Even if I don't win anything It's still fun. :)

Purple Wolf
There's always room for dessert.
brickshelf
"Trolls exist! They steal your socks but only the left ones whats with that?"
lord_of_orks
Squire

Post by lord_of_orks »

I have two questions about the Mythical creatures category. will the entries be judged on the creature, the scene,or both, and can you include more than one creature in one entry?
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen1.bmp[/img] [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... rd-of-orks]brickshelf[/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_of_orks/6939512687/]flicker[/url]
one for all! all for one! every man for him self!
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

This looks like it will be a fun contest. Thank you to all the admins organizing it, and to those donating prizes, and to Troy for sponsoring the website altogether. Your efforts are not unappreciated.

The only question I have is regarding posting etiquette. The official entry is through the link in the margin next to the rules in the main Classic Castle site; I assume that once we've posted there, that it is fine to present a model in the forum MOC section according to the forum rules... or is this redundant and frowned upon?