Colossal Castle Contest 9

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Unitronus
Villein

Re: Colossal Castle Contest 9

Post by Unitronus »

I'm glad that the CCC is back again and very excited about the categories, so it's normal that I have a few questions.

For the Knight's Quest I know you can make three scenes depicting an adventure, but could I make three 32x32 mocs all with one shot each?
If not what is the appropriate size limit?
insurrection
Laborer

Post by insurrection »

Allways great when this contest is comming back, locking forward to see some great MOCs :)

Two questions:

1. The entry should "fit" on two 32x32 baseplates or one 48x48 baseplate, but looking back on previous years winners I can clearly spot some entries, in categories which hade the same limits, where the base is of the right dimensions but there is parts higher up extending out over the baseplate limits (mostly foilage of trees). How much of this is allowed?

2. No creations "posted online or shown in public before November 1st, 2011" can be entered, but obviously we can incoperate techniques, figures etc. that have been seen in public before, where do you draw the line for this?
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

Well Lets try this again :D Would Ancient Egypt, say a MOC of one of the ten plagues, be considered castle-y enough for me to enter it into the Misc. Category?
lord_of_orks
Squire

Post by lord_of_orks »

Unitronus wrote:I'm glad that the CCC is back again and very excited about the categories, so it's normal that I have a few questions.

For the Knight's Quest I know you can make three scenes depicting an adventure, but could I make three 32x32 mocs all with one shot each?
at the bottom of the categories and prizes page it says
All entries should fit on 2 connected 32x32 baseplates or smaller unless stated otherwise in that category's rules. You may use a single 48x48 plate for your entry instead of the two 32x32 plates.
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen1.bmp[/img] [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... rd-of-orks]brickshelf[/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_of_orks/6939512687/]flicker[/url]
one for all! all for one! every man for him self!
Unitronus
Villein

Post by Unitronus »

Yes, but that doesn't answer my question. The category says "Build three scenes" of an adventure. All I'm asking is I'm allowed to make 3 separate builds that are all connected together (limited to 3 shots of course).
Hrvoje
Villein

Post by Hrvoje »

I'm a bit confused right now.

The three scenes we make for Knight's Quest have to be shown in three photographies each, or three photographies
for all of them?
Cane someone explain this a little bit betetr, because I'm really confused right now. :oops:
Mark of Falworth
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Mark of Falworth »

I have a question.
Would It be ok in the Fantasy Castle Figure to have something other than minifig legs below the torso?
Like Modified stuff/bricks?
Mark
Karrde
Bailiff

Post by Karrde »

Gah! I'm only going to have 2 weeks building time when I get home from uni - better make it count!
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Post by shmails »

Hrvoje wrote:I'm a bit confused right now.

The three scenes we make for Knight's Quest have to be shown in three photographies each, or three photographies
for all of them?
Cane someone explain this a little bit betetr, because I'm really confused right now. :oops:
We have had these categories in the past, and on those occasions the rule was thus: Each of the three parts of the story can be the maximum baseplate, so you can build three 48x48 scenes if you want, however you are only allowed three total pictures for the category, or one picture per scene, so building too big may not be in your favor. I usually keep each scene 32x32 so that the picture shows as much as possible. Hope this helps!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Unitronus wrote:For the Knight's Quest I know you can make three scenes depicting an adventure, but could I make three 32x32 mocs all with one shot each?
27. Each scene in this category may be built on a separate base no larger than two 32x32 baseplates or one 48x48 baseplate.
insurrection wrote:In categories which had the same limits, where the base is of the right dimensions but there is parts higher up extending out over the baseplate limits (mostly foliage of trees). How much of this is allowed?
28. Small amounts of foliage can extend over the base by two to three studs. Excessive use of overhanging foliage could lead to disqualification.
No creations "posted online or shown in public before November 1st, 2011" can be entered, but obviously we can incorporate techniques, figures etc. that have been seen in public before, where do you draw the line for this?
29. Customized figures should be new in this contest. We are not looking for fans to incorporate parts of old mocs into their builds for this new contest. Direct copying of objects (such as bags of grain, carts, etc) is frowned upon.

30. You may use previous castle building techniques. However, we recommend creating your own unique building techniques to receive the highest scores. If your creations look very similar to a great castle builder's past mocs, they may not stand out to the judges.
friskywhiskers wrote:Would Ancient Egypt, say a MOC of one of the ten plagues, be considered castle-y enough for me to enter it into the Misc. Category?
31. No. All creations in this medieval contest must take place between the Fall of Rome (476 AD) and the Great Fire of London (1666 AD). An Egyptian plague set in the middle ages would work for the miscellaneous category.
Hrvoje wrote:The three scenes we make for Knight's Quest have to be shown in three photographs each, or three photographs for all of them?
32. You are only allowed one photograph per scene in the Knight's Quest category.
Mark of Falworth wrote:Would It be ok in the Fantasy Castle Figure to have something other than minifig legs below the torso? Like Modified stuff/bricks?
33. Yes. For example you could create a fawn or centaur.
Mark of Falworth
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Mark of Falworth »

Ok one more question, can I use paper for a sail (I'm not very good with cloth sails yet :?).
Thanks
Mark
soccerkid6
Admin
Admin

Post by soccerkid6 »

Mark of Falworth wrote:Ok one more question, can I use paper for a sail (I'm not very good with cloth sails yet :?).
Thanks
Mark
They have already answered that question, yes you may.
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Brickbuilt: http://www.brickbuilt.org/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacsnyder/
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

Possibly silly, but i'll be neurotic/annoying all the same and ask:

Regarding the Bandit Raid category how specific do we have to be with our bandits? Obviously Forestmen and Wolfpack make the most sense in my mind, but is there room here for more conventional 'bad guy knights' too or instead? Probably the most obvious example would be something like this year's TLG Mill Village Raid, where there is clearly good knights but then bad 'evil' knights intent on greed etc

Sorry about the specifics, but thought i'd ask just to be safe. I know it's not a case of a good vs evil battle, obviously, but did wonder how far the term 'bandit' went. Thanks!

(the latest in the now annual 'Annoying Question by RichardAM That No-one Else Would Ever Ask' series) :wink:
KumpelKante
Geoffrey of Monmouth

Post by KumpelKante »

Does the entry-page work, yet? I get a error-message when i try to submit an entry.
LegoLord.
Word Miser

Post by LegoLord. »

KumpelKante wrote:Does the entry-page work, yet? I get a error-message when i try to submit an entry.
I have encountered this problem as well, so I'm glad it's not just me.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/31132205@N07/]Flickr[/url]
[url=http://mocpages.com/home.php/8791]MOCpages[/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... bertMurphy]BrickShelf[/url]
Respect the Crown