Chateau Laroche

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Throndor
Freeman
Location: Wherever it is they haul off the criminally insane to.

Chateau Laroche

Post by Throndor »

This is the castle in Loveland, Ohio that's about an hour and a half away from Cincinnati, 45 minutes from where I live. I've been there several times, and it really is quite cool, but not exactly realistic. It was made by one man who hauled all the rocks (with the exception of when boy scouts came, whoever lost a game (took apart a puzzle and couldn't put it back together, etc.), they had to haul a bucket from the Little Miami River). Several parts weren't "accurate" such as the doorways not having a center stone on the arch, and the ramparts being unstable to the point of visitors not being allowed to walk on them. It really is a great example of how medieval life of nobles worked. We came on a hot day, around 90* Fahrenheit, and it was easily 65* in the castle dungeon, the rest being around 70*. I recommend it to anyone in the Ohio area. Here's a link to the castle website: http://www.lovelandcastle.com/
There is also a quite nice selection of medieval weaponry; for instance, a dirk for, what, $20? Liam knows, I think. Liam, if you read this, tell me how much it costs for one of them. Plenty of swords, too, which we had a look at. Don't know the price, but I think one of them was $80. Definitely a good time. And a cool story that the smelly Scotsman will tell you while giving you the grand tour. :wink:
Oh, forgot to mention, there's something really cool.... In Cincinnati, the city was tearing down an old Cathedral, while one of the Knights of the Golden Trail was driving by, and, as luck would have it, he stopped by to check what was going on, and found an old Archbishop's seat about to be trashed. He took it, and brought it back to the castle. It is said to be more valuable than the entire castle.
If I were to make something out of LEGOs, I would probably use LEGOs. Pretty advanced stuff going on up in my head.
LordLiam98
Serf

Re: Chateau Laroche

Post by LordLiam98 »

I think the dirks were 20$, it definitely a good castle castle to visit if you can, and it wasn't built normally, on the inside its filled with cans, bottles, and cartons filled with cement and surrounded in cement. They even do live steel sword practices, where they practice, with swords, blunt ones of course, but swords.
HOMEYFRIEND#2

Look at my arrow, now at the target, now back to my arrow. You didn't have to turn your head.
Medieval Guy
Squire

Re: Chateau Laroche

Post by Medieval Guy »

This sounds neat. I have heard that a castle is being constructed in Arkansas now.
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/70980]MOCpages[/url]