LOTR and the hobbit lego

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Re: LOTR and the hobbit lego

Post by Sir Kohran »

As was pointed out to me by the stand guide dressed as Gandalf, you need to buy every set to get the whole Fellowship but I suspect many of us can't wait for the day when we can!
Is anyone else glad to hear this?

Other licensed themes have tended to feature the main characters in almost every set, meaning that buying more than a few sets leaves you with gangs of Harrys, Hermiones, Lukes, Leias, etc. There was the same problem in the Fantasy line some years ago, with the steadily accumulating legions of completely identical trolls.

I'm relieved that buying this line in full will only result in a couple of duplicates.
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

You don't need to buy them all to get the whole fellowship. There are no fellowship characters in uruk hai army or the orc forge. However, I get your point completely. I love how they keep main characters to a minimum in army building sets! Brilliant move by TLG.

I feel the most important news is the articulating horse. This is incredible and will forever change the way castle themes (plus many others) are portrayed! I hope this source can be trusted. The preliminary pics looked more like a solid mold and don't look like they can move at all? Obviously those pics were preliminary though.

The ring is great. I don't think it will be thick enough to allow for stud to stud construction techniques.

I think that boromir looks more like Theoden (too weathered looking), Gandalf needs hair and a staff, and Sam's hair is too long. Other than that I think the rest of these figs are spot on. Sam even looks like a fat hobbit. The olive color is great for LEGOlas. Gimli is full of awesomeness! I am amazed that you can make a minifig head look like anyone let alone have them be so easily recognizable. Kudos to TLG!

My dream of articulating short legs is over. If they didn't make them for the hobbits and dwarves they have no plans on making them any time soon.

The news report says the orcs in the orc forge are olive. The uruk hai I believe are a darker flesh color. The goblins I don't know about?
Medieval Guy
Squire

Post by Medieval Guy »

I agree that Boromir looks like Theoden. Gimli is awesome and Legolas isn't bad. Gandalf and the hobbits are pretty good, too. As I said before, Aragorn's stubble looks kinda funny, but aside from that he looks great! The Uruk-Hai and Orcs promise to be good as well, and I can't wait 'till I see a good picture of Gollum.
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/70980]MOCpages[/url]
Blego7
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Blego7 »

Not a huge fan of Boromir at all. The two best are undoubtedly Merry and Pippin. The expressions on their faces are absolutely priceless! :)
annie2200
Freeman

Post by annie2200 »

AK_Brickster wrote:First impression is that I love Gimli's helmet. Second is that all of the torsos are ruined by the fleshie necks.
Same same. Ooooo Gimli and Aragorn *swoon* :D :D :D
Lego is my first love, it will always be my last
Thor
Foot Soldier

Post by Thor »

Bruce N H wrote:
Some quick notes - a new hairpiece mold that is used for all four hobbits, little bits of fleshy color show up on all of the hobbit torsos and also Aragorn (darn), Elf ears the same as the collectible fig, but fleshy, is the Ring a Clickit ring or a new mold?, new dwarf beard I think, same hair mold for Aragorn and Boromir (was that one in a collectible fig?)

Good pick-up, dyntar.

Bruce

Bruce and others, you are just going to have to turn farther to the dark side. I have been buying torsos/figs and trading and selling off the fleshie hands and heads for too long. I still have all my treasured castle figs from the 80's and I am giving in, I'm going to collect these figs and keep them together. Don't feel bad for doing it, it's not going to look good with the fleshie chest/neck and yellow head.

* Love these new Horses, just LOVE THEM!
Athalus
Foot Soldier

Post by Athalus »

The figures look great, but i agree that Boromir looks a little strange...

I am really interested in the new horse! The old ones were definately limited in posability, and solving this problem sounds great.Though I hope the new horses won't be too 'cartoony' like the cows/chickens/etc that lego produces now.
Lego Stu
Villein

Post by Lego Stu »

The fleshies probably don't bother me as much as many folks, because I can remember when I bought the Black Knight and he had more than two dots for eyes and a smile. Lego has constantly been evolving. Still, it would be nice if TLG would make newer parts more compatible with older ones that many people have spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on(by not adding flesh OR yellow to the torsos). C'est la vie. The thing, however that gets my goat about these new figs is that they aren't consistent with the story. Gandalf's hat should be blue and TLG should have printed bare feet(I know that this in contradiction to an earlier point, I'm so torn) on the hobbits. Oh well. They still look cool.
Lego Stu doesn't advertise.
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

Can't say i'm really up or down on the figs- they look as I expected they would, so no surprises. I'm more interested in the Orcs and the Moria troll.

Gimli looks awesome though- the printed helmet will definitely be getting used in my dwarf casting.
mencot
Twifealdlic Builder

Post by mencot »

RichardAM wrote:Can't say i'm really up or down on the figs- they look as I expected they would, so no surprises. I'm more interested in the Orcs and the Moria troll.

Gimli looks awesome though- the printed helmet will definitely be getting used in my dwarf casting.
Yea the only thing that bothers me with the minifigs is too that there is flesh color on the torsos so that you can`t use that part with yellow heads. Like RichardAM, I am too intressted how the orcs look are they the same as before and what those the trolls look like hopefuly those are not the same because they should be bigger. We`ll see.
Sir Mencot Paladin and rogue
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/citizen3.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8487960182_6a051704d4_t.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/8636932919_7220cc2cc9_m.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/mencot]Flickr[/url]
albero78
Bailiff

Post by albero78 »

Hi.
The figs in general look nice, but nothing special according to me.
I'm especially disappointed by Gandalf and by Boromir. The latest doesn't look like Boromir in the movies. He looks fat and I don't understand why he's red haired.
The best is Aragorn.
Andrea Albertazzi
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=albero78]MY BRICKSHELF GALLERY[/url] | [img]http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/9002/itarp2.jpg[/img]
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

RichardAM wrote: I'm more interested in the Orcs . . .
There's an article on GeekDad today (Top 10 Things I Saw At London Toy Fair 2012) that addresses this - there's not much there we don't already know, except for this:
I can tell you that the level of detail in the minifigs is incredible, right down to the painting of the ears — which are actually on the hairpieces for the goblins, orcs, elves, etc. The Precious is present in all its shiny glory, as is its former bearer Gollum.
:o

I'm thinking they'll end up looking along the lines of the new Darth Maul and Frankenstein hairpieces.
Medieval Guy
Squire

Post by Medieval Guy »

Azaghal wrote:
RichardAM wrote: I'm more interested in the Orcs . . .
There's an article on GeekDad today (Top 10 Things I Saw At London Toy Fair 2012) that addresses this - there's not much there we don't already know, except for this:
I can tell you that the level of detail in the minifigs is incredible, right down to the painting of the ears — which are actually on the hairpieces for the goblins, orcs, elves, etc. The Precious is present in all its shiny glory, as is its former bearer Gollum.
:o

I'm thinking they'll end up looking along the lines of the new Darth Maul and Frankenstein hairpieces.
That sounds OK. I can't wait until we can be done with speculation...
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/70980]MOCpages[/url]
annie2200
Freeman

Post by annie2200 »

Medieval Guy wrote: I can't wait until we can be done with speculation...
June, July and August feel like FOREVER away :cry:
Lego is my first love, it will always be my last
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

I am hoping these will show up earlier than August. I wanna buy them with my 30% Brickworld discount in mid June. If these are gonna be released in August I wonder why they halted sales of Kingdoms so quickly? TLG could have made a small January wave of sets. They could still be selling those and last years Kingdoms sets right now and cleared them out in May or June... Hmmm...