Weekly Set Review: Crusader's Cart

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Crusader's Cart

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 1877 Crusader’s Cart.

Crusader’s Cart, part of Variety Pack 1675, was released in 1990. This was the last forestman cart to appear in LEGO castle. The cart carries hay and has a secret compartment to hide a forestman. Two forestmen, a saddle, a pitchfork, a whip, and various weapons are included. Set 1680 is identical to 1877 except it has an additional forestman with a red collar.

Lord Resta
Foot Soldier

Post by Lord Resta »

Don't have it, but it look's great! Very old english!
Look to my coming, on the first light of the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East...

-Gandalf the White, The Two Towers.
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

I like how the Forestmen with brown hat has a peasant torso, gives more possibilities. Nice how it comes with horse and saddle. Great little set!
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

That's a nice set.
It's one of those sets that made me almost cry when I first discovered they existed in the year 2000, because TLC had kept them away from me.

Bye
Jojo

rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I absolutely love this set. It is so perfect for the forestmen theme, with the compartment for smuggling a guy into a town or something.

I was fortunate enough to get this as part of a value pack around 1990 when it first came out. Now I wish I had more of them.

The fact that you get two forestmen minifigs and a pitchfork doesn't hurt either.

If I recall, the entire value pack was only $9.99 and it came with 3 sets of similar size. Great deal. Too bad TLC doesn't offer things like this anymore.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Lady Val
Villein

Post by Lady Val »

It`s a nice design, but it`s very bright, no? I`d prefer it in something a bit more muted, like brown. Or even green or red.

Pitchfork is nice though.
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

One word: Pitchfork!
"You read the manual, man, and you won't play around with it, not the same way. And you get all funny when somebody else uses it to do something you never thought of..."

William Gibson
The Winter Market
medib
Bailiff

Post by medib »

d'oh!! that was my reaction to the set...
:P
One word: Pitchfork
Benjamin Medinets
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

This is one of my favorite carts. I love the secret compartment part of it. The perpendicular studs (snot sort of) for the sides is also unique. It was appropriate to have the blue collar driver, but the green peasant fig is over used. I admit the blue colors are bright, but it fits in to the overall use of bright colors in Legoland Castle. Although, I doubt these smuggling forestmen would want to draw attention to a cart they painted bright blue :wink:

Ben E.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
architect wrote:Although, I doubt these smuggling forestmen would want to draw attention to a cart they painted bright blue.
Maybe it was quite common to paint their carts in bright colours. So it was probably even more suspicious carting around with an "unsuspiciously" painted cart...

Bye
Jojo

Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

As Jojo said one of the sets that we only knew about in 2000. Probably the best one from the none 60xx sets (beside 1906). The set included 2 forestman minifigs, one with the green/blue troso which is not that common one. Also a pitchfork and a round shield by the years that those parts were almost extinct.

The basic concept of this set of smuggling a minifig with in the cart was first introduced in the 250 idea book http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/arti ... k250b.html.

The same set came out in another version as 1680 which is almost the same with an extra forestman minifig.

A very nice model overall.

Final score: 9.5/10.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

This was a decent cart, Forestmen figs are always welcome and the pitchfork was a great piece. 9/10 then, 14/10 compared to the sets out now.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

This is a good set. One of the best done, because you can hide a forestment inside the cart. Plus: this set inlude the pitchfork and the round shield. This is the last set which include the pitchfork and the round shield.

I possess the 3 forestmen version (1680).

9/10
coyote
Peasant

Post by coyote »

Well, well ... I found this set in 1990 at Woolworth in London during a trip to England.

Quite surprising as this model wasn't listed here in Germany and it was the first hint for "specials" in other countries.

I like the model very much, because it is one of the few civilian sets of that days, that made the castles more "lively".

A true legend, I suppose.

9.8/10
When in doubt empty the magazine.
Never share a foxhole with someone braver then you are.
If you're short of everything except the enemy, you're in combat.
Don't look conspicuous, it draws fire.
Stephen
Laborer

Post by Stephen »

This set was an inspiration to me. When I came across the instructions on Brickshelf, I started thinking hard about SNOT constructions. This set made me go into my "won't ever use them" box and pull out a lot of parts that hadn't seemed very useful before.

So even though I don't own it, I consider it one of the better designed sets.

Stephen