Weekly Set Review: Camouflaged Outpost

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Camouflaged Outpost

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6066 Camouflaged Outpost.

Camouflaged Outpost, released in 1987, was the first Forestmen set. This tree and rock outpost opens in three ways including a secret door. The set has six men, treasure, and accessories.

Last edited by architect on Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

This was one of my favorite Forestmen sets; it was the set that introduced me to the Forestmen line. Now that said, there are some problems with this set, where are the archery targets? And how camouflaged is a hideout in a tree with a red flag on top? Those were some of the things I originally didn't like about the set.

We have to remember that the 6054 came out that same year and it had the green vine and the archery target. The Outpost may have come first, but it was in need of those little "extras" that made 6054 great. 6054 Needed more figs...

Aside from that, I loved it; with a ton of figs it was very easy to increase your Forestmen to an army very quickly. The little hideout area was very well designed and the giant tree was a nice addition. This is the only castle "set" that I still have intact. One little thing though, the 6066 came with six figs, not five... Overall I'd give the set an 8/10 but because I have some nostalgia about this set, I am giving it a 9/10.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
rodsboys
Serf

Post by rodsboys »

This was one of the sets I always wanted.I only recently got a hold of a copy of it.I absolutely love it. As wlister said this the only castle set I keep intact or together in a plastic bag in my case.
It came with a brown horse too.They are not exactly the most common horse to get.You can't beat the fact that it was loaded with minifigs too for a better price tag than the River Fortress.
stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

Another set I wish I had bought... and didn't.
Don't own the set but I'd love to have it misb.
If you're a Dutch legofan, visit [url=http://www.lowlug.nl]Lowlug[/url]!
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Re: Weekly Set Review: Camouflaged Outpost

Post by JoshWedin »

Wow...the memories that this set brings back. I saved up for this when I was a kid. I bought soon after it was released. My first larger castle set ever. Up until I bought this, I had only bought sets of the siege cart size. I love this set. True, it is not very well hidden with a red flag, but it is better camouflaged then several other Forestmen sets. The secret door is awesome, the whole set is awesome!

Josh
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

This should be the next legend.

This set got me interested in Forestmen and Castle at a time when the only Castle set I had was Siege Cart. Contrary to what somebody posted previously, 6054 did not come out in the same year.

Anyway, 6 figs and a good sized fortress for $24 or something like that is a great deal. The treasure and hidden doors were awesome. I loved this set, but, unfortunately, I never owned it. It was my brother's, and my mom convinced him to get rid of all of his LEGO - a decision he still regrets.
CJXXX
Serf

--

Post by CJXXX »

I got this for my birthday when it came out. I can remember drooling over it for weeks beforehand. I thought I had really scored a big set when I got it, and looking back I can't believe it was only 28 bucks.

The figures are great. I still have them (slightly modified) and definitely love the brown horse. The secret door is one of those things that makes you instantly fall in love with a set. The hinged construction with the two green baseplates along with the larger door made it extremely playable. And the mixed organic/inorganic construction of the tree growing through a dilapidated stone building is very well done.

I would vote for this as the next legend, but perhaps with brown tree pieces instead of black.

Overall score: 10/10 (my favorite castle set of all time)
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

For those of us who don't remember, the 6054 came out at the end of that year. In Canada the the catalog called it "Hollow Tree". Incidently, the 6066 was called "Forest People" The year was 1988 and it also heralded the arrival of the 6085, the Black Monarch's Castle. The best minifig set of the whole castle line came out that year as well the 6103.

I purchased both these sets a few weeks before Christmas that year, I still had birthday money left and the local Medicine Bottle had them both on the shelf. I was fortunate, I had just enough for both sets and the 6103. What a great day... it was one of those days that etches itself into your memory. After Christmas, I began dating and thus began my dark ages... These were the last sets I would buy until the Royals Knights line several years later. Looking back I wish I had a lot more money with me that day...

It is funny how many people I know remember their last lego sets just before their dark ages.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

*warning - off key singing to follow*

memories....misty colored memories...

wow - when this set came out I was working full time, and was able to start buying the big sets. Up until that point I had to depend on christmas or birthday ("really mom, I haven't outgrown Lego!") to get something like this.

It was a great feeling to go in and get this set.

At the time I loved the forestmen, though not so much anymore. (Hey, they're still cool, but I like the new attention to detail on torsos) And while I have traded away a lot of my forestmen, the only ones I kept were from this set.

*sigh*
I loved this set...

Freak
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

For precision. 6066 came on market in 1987. I got it at my birthday on september 1987 (In Canada). It was not on all catalog however. 6054 came in 1988 only.

This set is the second castle I own. I loved it since the first time I saw it. Wow. With this set, they introduced many new things, like brown horse, forestmens, D-basket, tree foliage, forestmen's hat. This is one of the greatest set of all time. I'm agree it should be a legend. It's almost perfect. The only thing is the presence of the red flag which is not very discret. But it had possibility when you want to create other things. I like a lot the small side entrance and the front one.

Very very nice. Thanks Lego to give us so good creations ! :wink:

9.5/10
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I never had this set as a child but I bought it a couple of years ago. I remember other kids who had it and how cool I thought the set was. The playability of this 80's set is great. The opening roof and especially the "rolling" door are both very nice! Who can complain about so many minifigures? :D

Great set!

Ben
CC Sets Admin
ThomasBrickheim
Serf

Post by ThomasBrickheim »

Oh yes :D I really like this set! This is one of my early castlesets, i got it for my 10th birthday orso. I relly like the shape of this cave, and the many doors and ways to open it. It's not as rectangular as an castle. And there are six(!) forestmen , including the unique black forestman. Two years ago i bought a second one, because i used the one i had for one of my castles. Now i'm actually looking for a third one :-P
The onely minus is that there aren't any forestmen-shields. Those shields are very nice and useful for my forestmen-army :-D

Anyway, great set!
"And He said:"Let there be bricks!" And there were bricks."
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

re

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

I used to have it but traded it for a Jango's Slave 1 not too long ago. That was during the great castle purge.
It's an excellent set. Great playability, nice piece selection and lot's of figs. How can you go wrong? It did always bother me that the tree was black and not brown but I think that was before the castle corners ever came out in brown?
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Another good old reviewed set...

Six figs! All Forestmen. For any Forestman Freak, that is a goodly amount! Furthermore, it is a rather intriguing set with the stone hideout hidden by the tree.

A pity I never had this set... :(

Parts: 8.5/10
Playability: 8/10
Figs/Accessories: 8/10
Design (then): 8/10
Design (now): 8.5/10
Nostalgia: 7/10

Overall Score: 8/10
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Ah yes... this is one of those sets I've wanted for some time. Simple, sturdy, practical, a good value too. I'm on the look out for this unique set these days. Lots of figs, a nice brown horse, and a cool design with half of it man-made and half of it natural... I love it. 8)
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]