Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
skaforhire
Villein

Re: Lands of Classic Castle - Discussion Thread

Post by skaforhire »

Since the lore voting thread was locked already, I decided to post what I was thinking here... Two things - my point about ending the vote early wasn't because it was a clear winner, but because not everyone really got to take a look at it and vote. Also, locking the thread a few hours after the rewrite didn't allow much comment...

About the rewrite, and this was my concern with the history we chose from the beginning - it really doesn't explain magic at all. If this was such a sticking point in the original discussion, I think it needs fleshed out some more. I like the infighting and that it is short and sweet, but the aspect of magic just isn't really explained here. Maybe one more paragraph about what happened to magic? As it is now, it just seems that over 11 generations people just decided to stop using it...
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

Well said about magic, skaforhire. I agree.
mencot
Twifealdlic Builder

Post by mencot »

AK_Brickster wrote:I wasn't sure if we needed to just keep a general discussion thread active while we are still working out kinks. Just didn't make sense to have people posting in 4 or 5 other threads. Let's keep this one open for now, and we can always shut it down later.
but you could had had the lore voting thread open, because I Didn't have time to comment on it. But I will do it here, like skaforhire also did.
It is pretty great story now, the magic part is a bit open, but it will be hard to please everyone, but there will be many who wants magic so we should remember that.
And Then the old kings name, always when I read koffies story it bugs me out, Alphundus, I can't even spell it right :)
Sir Mencot Paladin and rogue
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/citizen3.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8487960182_6a051704d4_t.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/8636932919_7220cc2cc9_m.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/mencot]Flickr[/url]
skaforhire
Villein

Post by skaforhire »

mencot wrote:
AK_Brickster wrote:I wasn't sure if we needed to just keep a general discussion thread active while we are still working out kinks. Just didn't make sense to have people posting in 4 or 5 other threads. Let's keep this one open for now, and we can always shut it down later.
but you could had had the lore voting thread open, because I Didn't have time to comment on it. But I will do it here, like skaforhire also did.
It is pretty great story now, the magic part is a bit open, but it will be hard to please everyone, but there will be many who wants magic so we should remember that.
And Then the old kings name, always when I read koffies story it bugs me out, Alphundus, I can't even spell it right :)
Yeah, I wouldn't mind a change in the name either. I feel like it is too "soft" for a great king. Then again I speak the harsh sounding language of English, where we see power in hard syllables. haha.
Elderon
Apprentice

Post by Elderon »

skaforhire wrote:
mencot wrote:
Yeah, I wouldn't mind a change in the name either. I feel like it is too "soft" for a great king. Then again I speak the harsh sounding language of English, where we see power in hard syllables. haha.
How about King Oberyn?
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/peasant2.jpg[/img]
Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. ~G.K. Chesterton
koffiemoc
Freeman

Post by koffiemoc »

After reading the comments on the revised story, I see some miss an even more elaborate lecture about magic. And some don't like the name Alphundus. To start with the latter: yes it's a bit softy. If he had been more forceful and wise, would he have let his sons split up his empire? He is a bit of a namby-pamby. Oberyn is a name just as wussy imho. And names like 'Lokiten Myrikhim' and 'Borihk Dhurnson' aren't any easier. :D That being said by one who tends to write Lenfold instead of Lenfald. :lol:

About magic: I'm not going to rework the story. I'll explain why not, how I wrote the lore, and maybe give you another solution.
There are limits when you write a story. It has to be coherent, not too long considering the purpose, and it has to have a writer.
One reason for not explaining more about magic in this particular story is that it would get too long. One alinea isn't enough I fear.

Another reason is that it would involve more than discribing the early history of Roawia. An explantion of how magic works in this world would be more like a lecture on physics and philosophy than a historical-political document. The lore would lose a lot of it's coherence if it had two subjects: the history of the brothers and their relatives and a chapter about the possibilities and limits of magic.

That a story has a writer seems obvious, but I didn't mean myself. I meant that a story, to be a convincing one, should be written from the point of view of a fictional writer. This story was written by a historian, living some time after the splitting of Roawia into three factions. He lived on the main continent. Therefor, he couldn't have known any more about magic than he already mentions. He is already in doubt wether it exists at all, given that what he knows about it came chiefly to him as rumours and vague folk-lore from old hags. And he hasn't visited the mystic isle, since none returned.

To solve this you would either need a god-like writer who knows all, who can be in several places at the same time en can look into each characters mind. I don't like this type of writer's viewpoint, it's not very convincing. The other solution is that one uses two (fictional) writers. But the story is too short for that. So here's the last option: two writers writing each a document. One story being a short history of Roawia. And the other about the nature and working of magic.
pretiumque et causa laboris [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/koffiemoc/]pixit[/url]
Teherean
Steward

Post by Teherean »

I'd love to write a short timeline of Roawia's history! I have a couple of ideas... :)
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]
Elderon
Apprentice

Post by Elderon »

I'm wondering since the Kings Council is not for builders but somewhere in the (guild-) challenges there will probably be a challenge involving the King or the Kings men, are you guys posting a couple of figs wearing the proper colors and and so forth so we don't get 40 different kings al portraying the same character? Or what were your views on this? Because if so it might be a good idea to actually choose a fig a lot of builders probably already have (and/or is cheaper on bricklink). Because I am not really looking forward to investing a lot of money for older minifigs that will probably only end up in 1 or 2 MOCs, if you know what I mean. I ask this because I only started collecting and expanding my Lego when Kingdoms came about so I don't have a lot of the older figs... So what do you guys think?

Edit: Because of another comment in a lenfald topic I think it might be a good idea to get like a list of important events that happened between factions. Like they do when a new episode of a tv-series start, they show what happened the last episode. Only then like a thread that shows which faction are a peace or which important figure has died, stuff like that. So my question remains, what do you guys think :wink: ?
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/peasant2.jpg[/img]
Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. ~G.K. Chesterton
Teherean
Steward

Post by Teherean »

See my above post. I'm working on a timeline of the LCC "before" the current situation. I'm going to discuss conflicts amongst the lands with the other guys in the commitee, so stay tuned on that.
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]
Medieval Guy
Squire

Post by Medieval Guy »

Teherean wrote:See my above post. I'm working on a timeline of the LCC "before" the current situation. I'm going to discuss conflicts amongst the lands with the other guys in the commitee, so stay tuned on that.
Sounds good! This ought to help keep things making sense. Thanks!
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/70980]MOCpages[/url]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Since Koffiemoc is heading up the lore, it might be a good idea to collaborate with him on your timeline so that the two are cohesive.
Keep in mind that, despite some of the unofficial LCC MOCs that have been showing up depicting raids on one faction or the other, with the exception of the outlaws, the factions are generally at peace at the moment, and all submit to the King. (A king wouldn't want his lands squabbling/fighting with one another, after all).

Also, I think it's funny that you have 3 Netherlanders (Netherlites? Nethericans? ;) ) all in the Lenfald faction.
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Elderon
Apprentice

Post by Elderon »

AK_Brickster wrote:Also, I think it's funny that you have 3 Netherlanders (Netherlites? Nethericans? ;) ) all in the Lenfald faction.
Well there's five actually by my count, not all of them have their locations listed :wink:
Griffon, DNL, Koffiemoc , Teherean and me are all from the little country. Sadly enough we're missing the one and only Aliencat Sebastiaan Aerts himself on our side... But we'll show those Outlaws! Oh and its a Dutchman or Dutchwoman and on a rare and seldomly used occasion Netherlander. But I think we will be referred to as Lenfel here on CC.

Oh and I must have missed (and don't want to read all of those post) but when will official builds begin?
WvdP
Villein

Post by WvdP »

Elderon wrote:
AK_Brickster wrote:Also, I think it's funny that you have 3 Netherlanders (Netherlites? Nethericans? ;) ) all in the Lenfald faction.
Well there's five actually by my count, not all of them have their locations listed :wink:
Griffon, DNL, Koffiemoc , Teherean and me are all from the little country. Sadly enough we're missing the one and only Aliencat Sebastiaan Aerts himself on our side... But we'll show those Outlaws!
Actually there are seven Dutchmen in LCC: five in Lenfald, Aliencat in the Outlaws, me in Garheim... I sense a small preference of Dutchmen for Lenfald :lol:
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/peasant4.jpg[/img]
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. (Gen. Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett)
Hayden.
Reeve

Post by Hayden. »

Can we have a new thread to talk in? This ones getting rather long and drawn out.
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

Can we have a new thread to talk in? This ones getting rather long and drawn out.
Is it necessary? You can click on the last page. It would be best to keep the discussion in one thread instead of multiple ones.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!