LEGO Barcode Rip Off

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Redav
Artisan

LEGO Barcode Rip Off

Post by Redav »

Gee, bit of an obvious one when you think about it do but people go to some lengths to make a buck. Has anyone come across this guy or heard this before?

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/05/multi ... code-scam/
Team Jesus

[url=http://www.brickset.com/search/?ownedBy=redav]My Brickset List[/url]
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/redavthe1st/]My Flickr Photostream[/url]
Medieval Guy
Squire

Re: LEGO Barcode Rip Off

Post by Medieval Guy »

I haven't heard of him, but I must say that that's a clever system. However, I'd expect it to be obvious to the cashier that this guy is paying less for his sets, even though they're not on sale.
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/70980]MOCpages[/url]
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

There must have been some addiction factor at work here. Why would a multi-millionaire both (a) rip off the store to buy them at a lower cost, and (b) sell them on Ebay? Some weird psychology going on there. I'm sure there is an answer.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

Something similar happened 5-10 years ago. A lego collector was buying cheaper sets at one Target, then putting a scanned barcode sticker from a more expensive set on it, and then returning them at other Targets. He got caught and busted with a van load of lego boxes, rolls of barcodes, and a map with Target store locations marked on it.
jediknight219
Freeman

Post by jediknight219 »

I went to Wal-Mart a couple of months ago, and the Black Pearl I got rang up as $15. The cashier asked if that was right, and I was honest and said "I doubt it". She rang me up anyway, and I didn't question it. It was exactly what the article describes. A Ninjago barcode had been stickered over the original barcode.
krzyzak
Foot Soldier

Post by krzyzak »

Wow.People do a lot just to get things cheap. I couldn't sleep at night if I did that.
You've got to ask yourself one question,"Do I feel lucky?" Well do ya, punk?
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen1.bmp[/img]
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

The worst part for me is that in both this and the Swanberg case, they both ripped off Target. If your gonna cheat someone, why not Walmart or TRU, who are more deserving candidates :twisted: But seriously, both cases are a crime and it's good they were caught. I'm sure our hobby isn't the only one that suffers this type of crime.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Yeah I just saw this. What an odd and of course dishonest system.

I worked at TRU and these corp. stores spend a great deal of time on loss prevention. You'd think these gents, being as smart as they are would know corporations double check their incoming and outgoing costs to products.

Sad in all accounts.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

The day that Swanberg was arrested, in the parking lot of an Oregon Target, I received in the mail a package of Lego parts that I had purchased from his BL store. His store had a vast variety of parts at good prices, as well as many SW sets at discount. I felt sick. I didn't touch the package for days. Finally, the email for the lead detective was posted, so I contacted him to identify myself and what I had in my possession. I never did receive a reply -- he was probably inundated with contacts.

Eventually I opened the package and started building. I had bought parts specifically to build this stairwell idea, which was built into this tower - like so.
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)