LotR sets revealed!

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
OverLoad
Steward

Re: LotR sets revealed!

Post by OverLoad »

krzyzak wrote:
OverLoad wrote:For those in the North East MA area, the Toys R Us in Nashua, NH has all of them. I went last night and was able to snatch up an Uruk Hai army. Expect the typical Toys R Us overpricing, and of course since it's NH except it again for the fact there's no sales tax up there.

I'll probably check the Burlington, MA LEGO store today. I'll report back with results!
That's good to hear. Do you know if the TRU at Salem would have these sets? I'm sure they do, but I want to make sure.
I've yet to go, but from what I'm told Salem has them even before the Nashua store has them. So its a good shot going there, I'm guessing.
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128569443@N02/]-New Flickr-[/url] [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MrGray]-Brickshelf-[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=24758]-Tales of the Nortlen-[/url]
Knight Man
Journeyman

Post by Knight Man »

Last week on Friday TRU had everything except Orc Forge.
But the prices were :o like Helm's Deep was $160!
~KnightMan~
[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8475/8406300705_86b2d80f86_m.jpg[/img] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/76575933@N02/]My Flickr[/url] [url=https://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-The_Creator]My sets[/url]
DerBum
Laborer

Post by DerBum »

I have to admit, I am a bit sad to see that these sets replaced traditional "Castle" Lego. I inspected all, except the Orc Forge, at TRU a few days ago and they are neat sets but way overpriced. Before someone jumps on my case, I understand the licensing world so it isnt suprising that there is a premium attached to the price tag. The issue is that the only set even close to something my oldest could buy with allowance is the Gandalf set, which is interesting, but really too much money for a cart and some figures (at least at TRU). We all knew the Kingdoms line was on its way out but I had hoped for a follow-on traditional castle line. If the LOTR line lasts as long as the Star Wars line then we wont see any traditional castle sets for a very long time. That means anything castle (LOTR) related will financially be out of the realm of purchases for anything other than birthdays and Christmas.

As for the sets themselves, it is a bummer that they are more two dimensional and "scene-like" than actual buildings, etc. but the figures are awesome and very well executed. Eventually, as time and money allow, I will probably get one or two of the smaller sets (because of the figures) but the larger ones are always going to be out of range. Hopefully, Lego will release some impulse poly-bag sets with a decent figure and some small accessory (like they did for other licensed lines Harry Potter & Toy Story). A set under $10 would also be a huge step in the right direction.
Eklund
Man-At-Arms

Post by Eklund »

DerBum wrote: Hopefully, Lego will release some impulse poly-bag sets with a decent figure and some small accessory (like they did for other licensed lines Harry Potter & Toy Story). A set under $10 would also be a huge step in the right direction.
You are in luck, Bruce just posted posted some pictures of a couple impulse sets on his blog, TolkienBricks. Here are the Brickset entries:
Frodo with Cooking Corner
Uruk Hai with Ballista
You would rather be building right now.
ImageImage
My Flickr
DerBum
Laborer

Post by DerBum »

You are in luck, Bruce just posted posted some pictures of a couple impulse sets on his blog, TolkienBricks. Here are the Brickset entries:
Frodo with Cooking Corner
Uruk Hai with Ballista
Ahhh... All I will have to do is wait for Target to put them out. This IS good news as I was considering washing my hands of the entire first release, at least until a little closer to Christmas. Thank you for posting this.
SirBlake
Gong Farmer

Post by SirBlake »

Total missed opportunity by not releasing a Rohan army builder, but still... those poly bags are pretty cool. If LEGO is smart, they'll produce those at a 5 or 6-to-1 ratio, Uruk/Frodo.
DerBum
Laborer

Post by DerBum »

Total missed opportunity by not releasing a Rohan army builder, but still... those poly bags are pretty cool. If LEGO is smart, they'll produce those at a 5 or 6-to-1 ratio, Uruk/Frodo.
Well, when they released http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=30062-1 I only found one, in a Target no where near where I lived. It is hit and miss on locating these poly-bag sets (at least in my area). I dont know if Lego releases all poly-bag sets as an assortment or theme based assortments. Currently, my local Target has hundreds of that Star Wars space ship poly-bag and little else except a couple Harry Potter sets. That would make me wonder about the ratios, etc. in the poly-bag assortments.

You are very right, a Rohan poly-bag set would have been excellent but I assume that one might be forthcoming. I dont think poly-bag sets have the same release cycle that the bigger sets do and sometimes new ones show up around major holidays... fingers crossed.

An aside, I do really appreciate that Lego is boosting piece count by using smaller bricks instead of panels, etc. I think this reflects interest in appealing to the AFOL base as well as an essential return to the brick centered roots of the toy. I would stick to my gripe that set prices are still a tad too high from a practical fincancial stand point (money for luxury items is simply tight right now). That said, I do commend set designers at TLG for delving into more complicated and aggressive forms of building.
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

SirBlake wrote:Total missed opportunity by not releasing a Rohan army builder, but still... those poly bags are pretty cool. If LEGO is smart, they'll produce those at a 5 or 6-to-1 ratio, Uruk/Frodo.
True. Rohan soldier + spear + horse = AWESOME poly bag.

Another good one would have been an elven defender for Helm's deep: Elf with helmet, bow, elven sword and small rock formation.
pup
Serf

Post by pup »

I love the idea of polybagged Rohan soldier with horse and spear!

I bought the Uruk'hai Attack set purely and simply to get the Rohan soldier and Eomer (and the horse!) No disappointments there -- they are gorgeous. At the moment, I've converted them to yellow; but if Lego puts out polybagged or battlepacked Rohans, I might leave them all fleshy, because the faces are so very nice.

The wall was a delightful surprise, too -- it's cleverly constructed with only small pieces, and has several 1x2 "brick" bricks, which are now my favorite brick.

If only it came with more Rohan soldiers...
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/peasant2.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/lego_pup/[/url] (seven7mice)
Medieval Guy
Squire

Post by Medieval Guy »

Is everyone aware of the option on Lego.com to buy the LOTR collection? It's all the sets together, at a slightly discounted price. There's also one called the Helms Deep collection that has Helms Deep and Uruk-Hai army. Similar packages are also available for other lines.
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/70980]MOCpages[/url]
DerBum
Laborer

Post by DerBum »

Is everyone aware of the option on Lego.com to buy the LOTR collection? It's all the sets together, at a slightly discounted price. There's also one called the Helms Deep collection that has Helms Deep and Uruk-Hai army. Similar packages are also available for other lines.
Yes, but spending a couple hundred dollars to save a few isnt within my budget. I did order the Orc Forge after watching the designer video on Lego.com. Seriously, Lego knocked one out of the park by having the set designers explain their sets and the process of designing them. I figured I couldnt go wrong ordering Orc Forge because it is an exclusive and my local Target doesnt have any LOTR stuff in-stock. Orc Forge is also the only set I havent held in my hands already, so... we shall see.

***EDIT: I took my daughter out today for some daughter-daddy time and I decided to treat her to a Lego set, she got one of the Friends line (which, while I dislike it, has really gotten her back into Lego) and I decided to treat myself to the Uruk-Hai Army set. I will say that this set is worth the $29.99 price tag if you dont also have to pay shipping. The figures are great, which I already knew, and the brick built wall is well executed. This set is scene based, like all the others, but it does have seperate playability. I still consider the line to be generally too expensive for my blood, but I now think the term "Over-priced" should not be attached to the majority of the line. These sets seem to be worth the money Lego is asking, if you can afford it. I continue to lament the loss of a traditional castle line due to the LOTR line however. Its really too bad that the two cant coexist.***
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Selling these at our Walmart now. Got three sets and so far really liking the design and some of the figures are awesome. My kids have not put them down all day. My Son did think the eyes on Shelob attack Frodo were odd. I thought he was supposed to look asleep.

Think for army builders the Uruk-Hai army will be wildly popular. Our Walmart just got them out and the shelob attack and Uruk-Hai army were almost gone by the time I got there.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Life_Unscripted
Laborer

Post by Life_Unscripted »

I've built most of them for a local LEGO store opening up and I have to say I love the figures. I was overwhelmed by the amount of new pieces though in these sets. Seems even more sorting will have to take place in my collection over time :( Also it was a shame that all the details in Mines of Moria had to be stickers, but at least they were the clear ones. I will probably be buying the Mine and Uruk-Hai army just to have most of the figures, though I really want that elf and Theoden in the Helm's Deep one.. There's always Bricklink...
athronieth
Laborer

Post by athronieth »

Back to the stores I go in search of Frodo polybag! :D I have enough uruk-hai already. But in truth my biggest hope is for mordor and / or Moria orc battlepacks. :orc:
Quelta the Emerald Isle [url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=athronieth[/url]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Are the polybags out yet? If so, what stores?
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!