LCC General Information and FAQ

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Re: LCC General Information and FAQ

Post by AK_Brickster »

Basically, the land is greatly dominated by humans, with a smattering of elves and dwarves (in my mind, elves, dwarves, and to a lesser degree, centaurs, get along with humans just fine, as long as magic isn't involved). Magic is highly frowned upon by most of the land, so most of the other mythical/fantasy-based creatures are feared and even hunted. This is where the outlaw factions come in. If you want your character to be an ork, minotaur, etc, that's fine, but you won't be well-accepted by the general Roawian society, so your best bet would be to join the outlaws.

I think you can pretty much be whatever you want to be, just keep in mind that stuff most people would consider to be heavily fantasy-based will fit best with the outlaws, and you'll probably be killed if you just go wandering around Roawia trying to make friends with townspeople ;)

Additionally, there are members who have started orders (like mencot's "Knights of Justice") who's sole purpose is to eradicate magic from the land, so that makes things even more difficult if you are a vampire or something like that.

Does that help answer your question?
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
ZacharyIslazy
Bailiff

Post by ZacharyIslazy »

Yes, you answered my question pretty well. Although I think it would still be quite helpful to new members to know what races they could pick from. Some I believe shouldn't be allowed to be picked from, such as giants who would be able to decimate entire villages, titans, cyclops (the giant variety from greek mythology) those people who can shapeshift, you know ones that would be a game breaker. But things like Dwarves are fine, and satyrs too. They arn't game breakers. It would be quite unfair if another player stood in your way because he stands 16 feet tall, don't cha' think? Just IMO.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/56307748@N02]Flickr[/url]
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... ttorso.jpg[/img]

Check out Lands of Roawia!
mencot
Twifealdlic Builder

Post by mencot »

ZacharyIslazy wrote: such as giants who would be able to decimate entire villages, titans, cyclops (the giant variety from greek mythology) It would be quite unfair if another player stood in your way because he stands 16 feet tall, don't cha' think? Just IMO.
I would want to see someone make an lego sized giant (keeping the proporsions, 16 feet tall) that would be cool :lol:
Just kidding, we get the point. This was actually discussed when we planned LCC. Of course some sort of list could be made in the outlaws faction about "fantasy/magical" creatures that are allowed or not allowed. Maybe the not allowed list would be a better option, everybody sees then what is probided.
Sir Mencot Paladin and rogue
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/citizen3.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8487960182_6a051704d4_t.jpg[/img][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/8636932919_7220cc2cc9_m.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/mencot]Flickr[/url]
Fireglade
Villein

Post by Fireglade »

ZacharyIslazy wrote: those people who can shapeshift, you know ones that would be a game breaker.
Now when you say shapeshift you are talking about the I can transform into anything I want shapeshift, right(I totally agree this would be a game breaker)? Because some mythical races can shapeshift, e.g. werewolves change every full moon, selkies can change into a seal if they have their seal skin, ect. Are we talking about these being no goes as well or just the I'm super ultra mega powerful because I can become anything! shapeshift.
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

I think shape shifting in the case of a werewolf or some other widely accepted fantasy creature (vampire into a bat, etc) is fine. Just try to use common sense. If you don't think it would be fair to be on the other side of the fight, then it probably isn't acceptable.

Roawia should be 75% realism with 25% fantasy, IMO (hence 3 factions that are "normal" and one faction for magic and fantasy players to play in), so just don't go overboard and I think it will be fine.

:)
ZacharyIslazy
Bailiff

Post by ZacharyIslazy »

mencot wrote: Of course some sort of list could be made in the outlaws faction about "fantasy/magical" creatures that are allowed or not allowed. Maybe the not allowed list would be a better option, everybody sees then what is probided.
Sounds good. I'll talk to my outlaws brothers about it, after I'm done killing more Loreos and Lenfald soldiers. :twisted:
Fireglade wrote:
Now when you say shapeshift you are talking about the I can transform into anything I want shapeshift, right(I totally agree this would be a game breaker)? Because some mythical races can shapeshift, e.g. werewolves change every full moon, selkies can change into a seal if they have their seal skin, ect. Are we talking about these being no goes as well or just the I'm super ultra mega powerful because I can become anything! shapeshift.
Yes, those kind of shapeshifters. Haha I'm a chair! Now I'm a bee, now I'm a different person!
AK_Brickster wrote:I think shape shifting in the case of a werewolf or some other widely accepted fantasy creature (vampire into a bat, etc) is fine. Just try to use common sense. If you don't think it would be fair to be on the other side of the fight, then it probably isn't acceptable.

Roawia should be 75% realism with 25% fantasy, IMO (hence 3 factions that are "normal" and one faction for magic and fantasy players to play in), so just don't go overboard and I think it will be fine.

:)
Ok sounds good. Thanks for the help and quick response! :)

wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

ZacharyIslazy wrote:Some I believe shouldn't be allowed to be picked from, such as giants who would be able to decimate entire villages, titans, cyclops (the giant variety from greek mythology) those people who can shapeshift, you know ones that would be a game breaker. But things like Dwarves are fine, and satyrs too. They arn't game breakers. It would be quite unfair if another player stood in your way because he stands 16 feet tall, don't cha' think? Just IMO.
I see your point, but on the other hand we don't want to create too many rules and limits.

It's important to remember that LCC is not a "game" in the sense that participants compete against each other. Instead it's similar to a classic group based roleplaying game: Everyone has to play (add to the world) in a way so that the setting and other characters make sense. A successful LCC build/character/story isn't one that gives you some sort of in-game advantage (power, land, money, whatever) but one that adds something interesting to the world while being true to it and also enabling the other participants to continue developing their characters and part of the story in a natural way.

LCC rules are guidelines for players to co-create an interesting world. Everyone has a responsibility not to just not break, but also not bend the rules for their own gain.
ZacharyIslazy
Bailiff

Post by ZacharyIslazy »

wobnam wrote: I see your point, but on the other hand we don't want to create too many rules and limits.

It's important to remember that LCC is not a "game" in the sense that participants compete against each other. Instead it's similar to a classic group based roleplaying game: Everyone has to play (add to the world) in a way so that the setting and other characters make sense.

LCC rules are guidelines for players to co-create an interesting world. Everyone has a responsibility not to just not break, but also not bend the rules for their own gain.
I see. Those are some wise words. Thanks for the input. :)

Also, I have a new question! I know that there is a 2 free build limit per month, along with a 2 guild build limit also. So my question is, when writing a story, can you include more than one build in one post or story?

What I mean is, say my character has heard of treasure in a bar, the scene of my character in the bar would be one MoC, and later in the story he is on the road going to the treasure, the second MoC would be him on the road, and then him finding the treasure in a cave, the third Moc would be him with the treasure.

Is this something that would be allowed, as long as everything is in one post. All would count towards one build, free build, guild build, GC build etc.

AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

As long as you aren't expecting more than the monthly limit of points, you can build as much as you want. You simply wont be awarded points for any free builds over the 2/mo limit.

Guild builds are very specific (though) and should be limited to one MOC per entry unless you specifically get clearance from the guild master (me) in advance. If you have something that I think merits bending the rules, I'll take that into consideration.
ZacharyIslazy
Bailiff

Post by ZacharyIslazy »

Sounds good. I originally thought that once you reached say 3 builds in one month you would have to delete one. :? Thanks again for a quick response.

ZacharyIslazy
Bailiff

Post by ZacharyIslazy »

So over in the Outlaw forum, a couple of us have been further discussing the races of Rowia. The list for races is as follows so far-

Orcs- Have been around since the dawn of time, much like humans. :orc:

Goblins (Sand, Mountain, stone etc. )-Live in harsh enviornments, are very reclusive creatures, tend to stick in small numbers or clans.

Elves (Dark, white etc. )- Lived in the forests of Lenfald. Are skilled archers, and some still live among humans in parts of Lenfald.

Dwarves- Live in huge underground cities that rival the capitals of the four factions today. Are technilogically advanced to humans. Also highly educated in engineering and technology.They might be distant cousins to the gnomes.

Gnomes- Much like dwarves, are highly educated but have chosen to live on the surface of Rowia.

Vampires- Can live for hundreds of years, and can turn others to there vampirism, live in secretive clans throughout Rowia, in remote locations. Are very intelligent and skilled warriors. Not like modern day vampires today, they appear in mirrors, can walk in the sun, and cannot turn into bats.

Werewolves- Oppose the vampires and are their ancient enemies. They live much like the vampires though, in remote areas, in clans, but some have woven their way into our society. They turn into their true form at full moon.

Animal-Humans (Mermaids, centaurs, satyrs things of that sort)- Lived in exile even in early times, not much is known of these creatures, but they are fierce warriors, and very reclusive.

Demons- Only can be summoned. They are not natural entities of this world. Only powerful mages can control these demons, and they are truly awesome and feared warriors.

Giants- (Like Hargrid minfigs a little taller is ok too, but nothing over, oh I'd say, the 10 ft range in relation to minifig size ) Used to inhabit remote mountains and other places, (islands, tundra etc. ) but now some choose to live among humans in the swamps.

Sirens- Not much is known of these beasts. They live in huge pods of up too 100s and are not active as much as they used to be in ancient times.

Trolls-Live in caves snowy environments, are as tall as giants but not very civilized or smart. They're like giants' dumb cousins. Not to be messed with.

(Pending)
Fairies (good and evil)
Nymphs
Nature spirits
The elder clans I mentioned before.

Additions? Objections?
(If the story elements are still too restricting then I can, or other members like the council, can modify them as they please. :) )

Eklund
Man-At-Arms

Post by Eklund »

I'm sorry, but I really don't get the point of having a list at all, we are going along just fine without one. I don't see any sort of problem that is happening right now because we don't have a list. I am only in favor of one if things start to get out of control. Lands of Classic Castle is suppossed to be a mostly realistic group, with a little bit of fantasy/magic. If you want to go crazy with magic and fantasy elements go find Legends of Brickdom on flickr, it is much more welcomed there. I think making a list would be inviting people to include a lot more fantasy elements, which is something I would prefer not to have. I don't think that members should even be able to start out with characters with a lot of "in-game" power, but that is already seeming to happen. If someone is not an outlaw, I think they should be required to have a normal human character. People should be able to sense a limit with the fantasy elements, and if they don't, I think that is where the FO's can use there discretion.
You would rather be building right now.
ImageImage
My Flickr
gurusql
Foot Soldier

Post by gurusql »

I think that the framework was put together in a purposeful way, leaving quite a few of the points open and to be defined by the MOCs that use them. If we sit down and create list we will be limiting the future creativity that can be done in other MOCs and in the end be making LCC smaller. If this was a role-playing game you need that kind of definition to have fair and balanced rules, however, LCC is not a role-playing game. I will freely admit that this could lead to Race A being able to do something in one MOC and not in another. I think that this is fine and keeps the creative process going. It just allows for a third MOC to explain the differences. :)

In summary, I would vote to have us focus on building and story telling and not trying to put everything into a box. If you really want to "define" these things have your character be some kind of adventurer/sage and visit these various creatures in your MOCs and then in the story write up what he believes there culture is like in a journal or textbook. This will let you do the definition that you seem to want to do and it will be non-binding and idea generating to the other members of LCC. :eyebrows:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/40798201@N05/]Flickr[/url]
ZacharyIslazy
Bailiff

Post by ZacharyIslazy »

I can see where you're coming from, but I respectfully disagree and think we need a list. It is to my understanding that LCC is supposed to be 75% realistic and 25% fantasy. I'd like to keep it that way too. The list will probably be better in the long run, because with people joining quite frequently even now, these questions will come up. I feel it's better to just get it out of the way now. If members would like, we could take some if the more fantasy based creatures and races out to keep it more realistic based. I also brought it up because of story elements as well. Since I am an Outlaw, we have all the fantasy elements down there, and it would be easier to stick to an approved list of races, than pick and choose from what I like. If I picked what races to include in my stories, then everybody would then have free reign to do the same, and that's when you get mass confusion because you don't know what's what. If you don't know what's what then people just include what they want, and then one person makes it hard for other members to tell a story of their own. I hope you can see where I'm coming from. I understand the want to just keep everything up to the members, but I feel we still need some kind of structure so things don't become full on chaos.

AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Here is what I propose, though this isn't official: The list, as it currently stands, is fairly all-inclusive. Not many fantasy creatures have been left out (nor should they be, in my opinion, since we want to leave as many options open to builders as possible). Therefore, I don't see much in the way of benefits of having a list. I think the best thing to do is put something here in the FAQ thread that says something like:

Q - does my character have to be human?

A - No, your character can be any type of mythical creature, monster, made-up-being that you like. Keep in mind, however, that magic is extremely frowned upon in common Roawian society, and as such, choosing a creature that is extremely non-human will limit the ways that he/she/it can interact with the general populace. Also, inventing a character who wields extreme in-game power is not allowed, so please use common sense when making your character, and respect any guidance, advice, or limitations proposed to you by your FO if they feel your character is too far out of bounds.

No need to map out traits for creatures that haven't been used yet, in my opinion. Let's leave it alone until it's been MOC'd.

We also certainly want everyone to enjoy their experience here. No need to suggest that people leave to join an inferior project :P
Last edited by AK_Brickster on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.