Old Lego Set Review Site?

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Megaman22
Gong Farmer

Old Lego Set Review Site?

Post by Megaman22 »

Back when I was still in my early teens and big into Legos, there was a website that I remember had an extensive collection of very excellent Lego set reviews. This was probably around 2002, 2003. I can't for the life of me remember anything about its url, and a little googling hasn't turned it up, so I was wondering if anyone on here might be able to help me look it up again, as some of the recent Pirates of the Caribbean ships have pulled me into a Renaissance, as it were.

Some things that I do recall about it were that it had reviews spanning from about 1980 to the KK1/Star Wars era, and that most of the reviews were prefaced with a little piece of short fiction based around the set, before continuing to discuss the sets construction, aesthetics, play features, interesting/rare parts, and so on.
Another thing that I remember it featuring was a set of write-ups on the author's series of MOC starfighters and the fairly impressive mothership designed to dock with them.

If anybody remembers what I'm talking about, and can help me find wherever that site is now (hopefully it is not dead...), it'd be lovely, since I'm quite enjoying this little nostalgia trip. There's nothing quite like the simple joy of putting legos together, and I'm really looking forward to the couple of bricklink orders I've placed, to grab some of the sets that I always lusted over in the catalogs, but never had quite enough money to pick up when I was a kid.
Medieval Guy
Squire

Re: Old Lego Set Review Site?

Post by Medieval Guy »

You may be thinking of LUGnet. I think that site closed down before I got into the online Lego community, but I've stumbled upon it before. I did see set reviews there.
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/70980]MOCpages[/url]
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Medieval Guy wrote:You may be thinking of LUGnet. I think that site closed down before I got into the online Lego community, but I've stumbled upon it before. I did see set reviews there.
LUGNET is very much operational (although something of a ghost town in the forums). I don't recall the kind of reviews you are speaking of but Eurobricks has an excellent back catalogue of often entertaining reviews.
Medieval Guy
Squire

Post by Medieval Guy »

Maybe I was thinking of the Lego sets Ranked feature. I've only seen the LUGnet once or twice, but I definitely got the impression that it wasn't used much.
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/70980]MOCpages[/url]
Megaman22
Gong Farmer

Post by Megaman22 »

Turned it up the other day, http://www.adequate.com/lego/. Looks to have been dead from about the time I last saw it...
Looked a little more impressive back in the days of 800x600 resolutions...
Megaman22
Gong Farmer

Post by Megaman22 »

Looking through the site at further leisure, I remember why I thought it was rather good at the time. Too bad that the authors seem to have dropped off in their reviews of Lego after ca 2000... Reminds me of a lot of the forgotten sub-themes that existed around when I started my dark age. Rock radiers? Time Cruisers? Aquazone?
In addition to some of the classic space themes I remember better, like Ice Planet, there's a lot there that the Lego Company could come back to if they felt like avoiding licensed themes...
Although I can't say much, as I just bought the two potc ships nd the lotr orc army sets...