Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

Welcome to the Piney Woods

Discussion of general LEGO topics

Welcome to the Piney Woods

Postby SavaTheAggie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:35 am

Image
Full Gallery

Welcome to the Piney Woods of East Texas, home to the Texas State Railroad at Palestine, TX!

This is the full 10'x10' (T-shaped) layout of the TSRR Park at Palestine Texas, home to one end of the TSRR's line (the other end is in Rusk, TX). This will be on display in two weeks at Brick Fiesta, as well as potentially future TexLUG events (room permitting).

The official name of it is "The Piney Woods Layout".

Featuring:
The Palestine Depot
The Palestine Engine Shed
The Palestine Wye

Locomotives:
1
201
22
300
400
500
610
7
8
and
The TSRR Motor Car

Passenger Coaches
42 & 44

--Tony
Image

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
User avatar
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie
Lord Sava of Aggie
 
Posts: 3060
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:36 am
Location: Houston

Re: Welcome to the Piney Woods

Postby rogue27 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:46 am

I don't know how 46 people can look at this without commenting, but I think everything here looks great.

I especially like how you used cheese wedges to give a rounded look to the front of #201 and some other engines.

However, I have never built trains and don't really know how involved it is, so I'm not qualified to say whether or not these are technically impressive.
User avatar
rogue27
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:14 am
Location: The Icy North

Re: Welcome to the Piney Woods

Postby AK_Brickster » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:57 am

I am one of the guilty peerers who didn't compliment you on how nice this looks. I'm sure a lot of the viewers here fall into the same category that Rouge and I do, which is that we enjoy something like this, but can't possibly appreciate how much time and effort you must go through, never having built a train ourselves.

All that to say, it looks amazing, so keep up the good work! :mrgreen:
Image Image
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - - - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
User avatar
AK_Brickster
Visconte des Paysans de Gong
 
Posts: 3220
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Mushing through the Great Driftplains of Garheim

Re: Welcome to the Piney Woods

Postby Medieval Guy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:44 pm

The trees are well done, and the roofs of the buildings look great. And, of course, the trains look fantastic.
User avatar
Medieval Guy
Squire
 
Posts: 618
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: "Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains!"

Re: Welcome to the Piney Woods

Postby mencot » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:40 am

This looks absolutely amazing, you have done a great job. I actually saw this first over on the frontpage of EB not here :oops: :D Never mind, just simply awesome complex.
I only I had the space, the time, the bricks I would want to try building something like this :)
Sir Mencot Paladin and rogue
ImageImageImage
Flickr
User avatar
mencot
Twifealdlic Builder
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:28 am
Location: Den of unforgotten heros

Re: Welcome to the Piney Woods

Postby SavaTheAggie » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:08 pm

rogue27 wrote:I don't know how 46 people can look at this without commenting, but I think everything here looks great.

I especially like how you used cheese wedges to give a rounded look to the front of #201 and some other engines.

However, I have never built trains and don't really know how involved it is, so I'm not qualified to say whether or not these are technically impressive.

It's ok, I don't expect the folks here to "get it" like on other venues. But I have strong ties here so I share regardless. Back when I started building trains, building castles was a much simpler task. Nowadays building castles seems to have more in common with building trains and spaceships than what I used to build.

Let's just say the folks over at the Texas State Railroad recognize what I've built for what they're supposed to be, that's good enough for me. :)

AK_Brickster wrote:I am one of the guilty peerers who didn't compliment you on how nice this looks. I'm sure a lot of the viewers here fall into the same category that Rouge and I do, which is that we enjoy something like this, but can't possibly appreciate how much time and effort you must go through, never having built a train ourselves.

All that to say, it looks amazing, so keep up the good work! :mrgreen:

Thanks much! I appreciate you looking.

Medieval Guy wrote:The trees are well done, and the roofs of the buildings look great. And, of course, the trains look fantastic.

Thanks! Everything you see has been built and rebuilt several times. It's all a matter of trial and error.

mencot wrote:This looks absolutely amazing, you have done a great job. I actually saw this first over on the frontpage of EB not here :oops: :D Never mind, just simply awesome complex.
I only I had the space, the time, the bricks I would want to try building something like this :)

Thanks! I don't really have the space, either. I had to take it and set it up at a local park just to have enough room to photograph it all together.

--Tony
Image

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
User avatar
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie
Lord Sava of Aggie
 
Posts: 3060
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:36 am
Location: Houston

Re: Welcome to the Piney Woods

Postby Kosh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:26 pm

AK_Brickster wrote:I am one of the guilty peerers who didn't compliment you on how nice this looks. I'm sure a lot of the viewers here fall into the same category that Rouge and I do, which is that we enjoy something like this, but can't possibly appreciate how much time and effort you must go through, never having built a train ourselves.

All that to say, it looks amazing, so keep up the good work! :mrgreen:


@ak brickster, I've built several trains... strait from the instructions! :P

It's an impressive layout to be sure, SavaTheAggie's work is always good stuff ( I saw it first over on the Brother's Brick actually).

I've seen a couple of layout's that are similar in scope and scale (aka large and detailed) and understand some of the amount of work that goes into their creation. I am always awed by the amount of time and dedication that goes into them and also awed at just how nice they can turn out.
Build? I merely Acquire atm.
Kosh
Foot Soldier
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 4:24 am
Location: Beyond the Rim


Return to General LEGO

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests